• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
cank stoochie said:
nintendo fanboys will sleep well tonite. knowing they will be getting a cut of these massive profits............ oh wait :lol
well, it means we're the ones this time who will shit over the 2nd and 3rd consoles here at GAF & around the net. oh yeah we're back baby!!

Vormund

I just remembered that I had plans to put money into some Nintendo shares....argh I didn't get around to it.

DAMMIT >_<

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Vormund said:
well duh, it says that they are estimates. Probably the most accurate you'll find for worldwide stats atm.
ioi disagrees. :D

Forget all the imitators, there is only one place on the internet where you'll find the latest, most accurate sales figures for the next gen consoles, right here on VGCharts.org:

Vormund

Thanks for rubbing it in. :(

Let us know how it progresses.

edit: I'm referring to the shares.

btw for a second I thought it said this

right here on VGCats.org:

:lol

btw I was unaware of this site...the PS3 figures particularly look more accurate.

careksims

That's great to see! I hope to see the Wii be successful there. Maybe they can make more games for a console this time like say... Ouedan Wii! Ohhhh! I keep wishing that one!

D.Lo

medrew said:
I'm pretty sure one of the threads had Gamecube at 139,000 for the first week.

(Didn't N64 sell out first day, too?)
The Gamecube launch was bad because of timing - it was two days after September 11 2001.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
1 day of Nintendo Wii >>>> a year of sales of the Xbox 360/two weeks os PS3 sales. Can't be a better headline for the PR shit :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
chwiiwarhp5.gif

Bert

cank stoochie said:
nintendo fanboys will sleep well tonite. knowing they will be getting a cut of these massive profits............ oh wait :lol

I'm sure you know this but the as a future Wii owner, it matters a lot to me that the console is successful. More consoles sold = more 3rd parties making games = happier me.

Actually, I was looking to buy some shares in Nintendo when the control scheme was announced, but couldn't find out where to do it. Considering something I saw yesterday showed that the prices have pretty much doubled since this time last year, I'm quite annoyed.

F#A#Oo

Banned
careksims said:
That's great to see! I hope to see the Wii be successful there. Maybe they can make more games for a console this time like say... Ouedan Wii! Ohhhh! I keep wishing that one!

Nintendo need to start farming out more of their franchises I think...so they can concentrate on getting their own games top-notch...

I don't want Nintendo to rush projects...

KINGMOKU

Fuzzy said:
So, 12-15 months before the Wii outsells the GCN in Japan? Who's with me?
Hey Fuzzy, if the Wii(I KNOW this is a stretch) sees the same success the DS has, how long will it take for the Wii to outsell the Gamecube?

Elios83

Success this holyday season is a given, Wii has at least 1 million units covered by Nintendo's hardcore base alone (and the same goes for PS3 if Sony hadn't shipment problems). The real fight starts next year with the big games coming.

tanasten

Fuzzy said:
So, 12-15 months before the Wii outsells the GCN in Japan? Who's with me?

Not really, I think that It can surpass the total GCN userbase in 6 to 8 months is there is enought supplyes. But this will be not the case surely.

Fuzzy

moku said:
Hey Fuzzy, if the Wii(I KNOW this is a stretch) sees the same success the DS has, how long will it take for the Wii to outsell the Gamecube?
The DS was at 4 million after 13.5 months.

Xavien

Amazing, The Wii has sold 400,000 in Japan at launch and 600,000 in the U.S at launch (restocks not included). That's 1/6th of the Xbox 360 worldwide LTD in only 2 weeks, Nintendo may just see that same sort of success as they had with the DS Lite.

Now... lets see how much Nintendo sells on the European Launch day in 5 days time :)

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
moku said:
Well Nintendo's sold ~4mil GameCubes in japan, it now sells under 1k/week (so we can say it sells none), let's say that it the Wii sells 1mil in december alone (due to shortage, cause that's fairly low when it sells 400k first day) then ~100k/week average (DS style) makes it 30 weeks to reach 4mil, or July 2007 to pass Gamecube sales in Japan

D.Lo

VicAlpha said:
8 to 10 months. Nintendo won't be able to meet the demand
I dunno - surely they can make another 3 million for Japan by April?

Fuzzy said:
The DS was at 4 million after 13.5 months.
Yeah, but the DS didn't have Nintendogs or Brain Training, or hype at the start. Wii has Wii Sports, Wii Play, Warioware and a large bucket of hype.

DKJB79

Xavien said:
Amazing, The Wii has sold 400,000 in Japan at launch and 600,000 in the U.S at launch (restocks not included). That's 1/6th of the Xbox 360 worldwide LTD in only 2 weeks, Nintendo may just see that same sort of success as they had with the DS Lite.

Now... lets see how much Nintendo sells on the European Launch day in 5 days time :)

great success coming for Europe...

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
cank stoochie said:
Double of what you put in within a year doesn't sound good to you?

Fuzzy

D.Lo said:

Yeah, but the DS didn't have Nintendogs or Brain Training, or hype at the start. Wii has Wii Sports, Wii Play, Warioware and a large bucket of hype.
No hype?

Those were the first 5 weeks for the DS.

Vic

D.Lo said:
I wonder. The Wii will surely sellout everywhere around the globe unlike the DS at its beginning. The sales charts will tell us if they are about to produce enough, a problem that they still have with the DS Lite (they are stocking up for the holidays?)

tanasten

the problem is that they're serving systems to the 3 markets from the start. For sure, it's noot a good idea for them the worldwide release thing. They're losing a lot of potential buyers for the lack of stock.

In other case, I think that if 2 millions would have been released on the States, those would have been selled yet, and if 1'5 would have been released in Japan, those would have been sold. 1 millon for europe and would be sold too.

It's a shame that they're losing that much anticipation. I hope they can keep up with this momentun meanwhile resuplying units. At how much rate is the system being produced¿

D.Lo

Fuzzy said:
No hype?

Those were the first 5 weeks for the DS.
True, but then the DS dropped off for a while until Nintendogs. And it wasn't until the next Christmas that the DS was hamstrung by shortages. Wii already has a 'Nintendogs' called Wii Sports, so if they can produce them fast enough I think it will get there much quicker then the DS.

Vic

Now that i'm thinking about it, is the LCDs that is slowing down the production of the DS Lite right? I don't think NIntendo will have any material problems with the Wii. Maybe the slot drive or the controller

maxmars

VicAlpha said:
Now that i'm thinking about it, is the LCDs that is slowing down the production of the DS Lite right? I don't think NIntendo will have any material problems with the Wii. Maybe the slot drive or the controller

The Pikmin, VicAlpha, the Pikmin!

tanasten said:
the problem is that they're serving systems to the 3 markets from the start. For sure, it's noot a good idea for them the worldwide release thing. They're losing a lot of potential buyers for the lack of stock.

Shhhhh, don't say that ;) Europe hasn't seen a main Nintendo console launch within the same calendar year as NTSC territories since... well, ever - I think Nintendo's only accidentally releasing it here and haven't actually realised yet.

Either that, or it knows we're going to be hit be a giant meteor or something, removing us from the planet and giving other territories more units by default. We're used to false hope...

Fuzzy

Frankfurter said:
I think you use fuzzy math :D DS sold ~1.5m in five weeks of 2004 and another ~4.15m in 2005, so that is already ~5.65m after 13 months.
Sorry, I accidently looked at the US numbers. The DS was at 4 million in Japan after 54 weeks.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
f_elz said:
"Remember, these numbers are only estimates, but they are constantly monitored and updated to assure the closest estimates possible for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Wii."

dude, they are estimates. probably close to the real numbers perhaps.
Close to real numbers?? They are the worst estimates out there, yeah even worst than ioi's extimates. According to those numbers X360 sales are about 8m units which is far from the real numbers. X360 sales in NA (which is by far the biggest market for it) is less than 4m units.
Of course xbots like to believe those numbers. :lol
Real time sales estimates FTMFL.

D.Lo

cbrotherson said:
Shhhhh, don't say that ;) Europe hasn't seen a main Nintendo console launch within the same calendar year as NTSC territories since... well, ever - I think Nintendo's only accidentally releasing it here and haven't actually realised yet.
It's more then that - Europe has really never seen a console launch this early. The pitiful numbers of 360s hardly counted as a launch (much like the Japanese PS3 'launch' - they're not mass market numbers people!), and the only other one within a calender year was the PS2, and that was only because it launched early in the year in Japan.

bill0527

I still can't find a Wii here in the U.S. without lining up for several hours outside a retail store.

I came up with a dry run again this morning.

The Wii was in both the Target and Circuit City ads today.

Target opens at 8am so I got there at 7am and there were 50 people in line already, so I didn't bother staying because I know they didn't get that many systems in.

I went across the street for Circuit City's 10am opening and got there around 7:45 and there were 60 people in line already.

tanasten

cbrotherson said:

Either that, or it knows we're going to be hit be a giant meteor or something, removing us from the planet and giving other territories more units by default. We're used to false hope...

QFMFT :(

In Spain firts release of the system is nearly sold out. In Barcelona and neigbourhood it's pretty hard to find an store that accepts your reservation because they have enought for the release days and can't fulfill the demand.

I hope that resuplying is quick enought (I have not a guaranteed Wii)

Top Bottom