• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex....Where to start?

Pyrokai

I've been really wanting to play these games recently, but I'm not sure where to start.

I currently have the Wii U Director's Cut version of Human Revolution, but I know it's the second game. I also have the original game on Steam, but my preference would probably be to start the HR because my computer isn't currently set up and....I've been wanting to play it for a while.

So is Human Revolution a good starting point? Would I be lost in regards to the story?

Thanks, GAF! Excited to jump in!

The first one has definitely suffered with time on the graphics side but there's a reason is been known as one of the great games of the era. If you can, start with the first one. If not, I suppose HR would work.

The Wii U version is a port of the reboot so you should be fine starting there story wise
But, it's super bloated since they sliced in DLC into the main story. Didn't like it too much.

I've been really wanting to play these games recently, but I'm not sure where to start.

I currently have the Wii U Director's Cut version of Human Revolution, but I know it's the second game. I also have the original game on Steam, but my preference would probably be to start the HR because my computer isn't currently set up and....I've been wanting to play it for a while.

So is Human Revolution a good starting point? Would I be lost in regards to the story?

Thanks, GAF! Excited to jump in!

I played the original fit the first time this year but after watching a review for the second one i was not really feeling it and skipped it for human revolution which i really liked a lot. Guess I'll be playing mankind divided in not too long.

Jyester

The original is great, but I haven't played it recently. Storywise you could skip it and go straight into HR. You won't feel left out.

AHA-Lambda

The first game, it's a masterpiece for a reason.

PS: don't let others sway you, HR isn't the 2nd game of the series. Invisible War is a very worthwhile playthrough that gets more hate than it deserves.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don't need to have played the earlier Deus Ex games to get a sense of Human Revolution. HR is a very well self-contained story. It's a prequel to the initial Deus Ex games so there's no plot threads you'll miss out on.

You'll only miss some references, call backs and maybe a character or two. But, all in all, Human Revolution is a great place to jump in as well.

The new one, Mankind Divided, is a direct sequel to Human Revolution, so if you plan to continue with the franchise, Human Revolution is a good enough jumping point.

AndyLonn

Deus Ex: ReVision (which is basically Deus Ex: Remastered, but by fans) is on Steam. Its the first game and although if you are new to the series, some of its elements might seem jarring, it is hands down the best first person role playing game I've ever had the good pleasure to play

Anteater

human revolution is an ok place to start at due to how streamlined it is

for me I always go for the "easier" game if i'm going into a series i'm not familiar with, then go back to the previous games

Human Revolution.

You may as well get into the one designed to appeal to newcomers best, while not feeling dated and also having enough time in the oven unlike Mankind Divided.

Seriously, the original will be there whether you like HR or not, and HR doesn't bank heavily on the first's story.

Edit: I understand why people are recommending starting at the first game first, but wouldn't you rather he start off with the one meant to get people into the series, and probably enjoy it, so that he can move onto the original with a newfound appreciation? I've found it's easier to understand a few decisions made in older games in the newfound light with their modern iterations or sequels. I'm not saying he'll be able to apologize for the original's more dated mechanics, but certain things fall in line better when you already like the series. HR sets that up perfectly.

stn

I would start with Human Revolution IF you can easily stomach inferior graphics by saving the original for later. If yes, then go HR > MD > DE 1. Otherwise, I'd start with the original. Everything about it is still amazing, you just may not appreciate it as much if you save it for last.

GavinUK86

I currently have the Wii U Director's Cut version of Human Revolution, but I know it's the second game.

It's actually the third game in the main series. Deus Ex > Deus Ex Invisible War > Deus Ex Human Revolution > Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

The Wii U version is a port of the reboot so you should be fine starting there story wise
But, it's super bloated since they sliced in DLC into the main story. Didn't like it too much.

HR isn't a reboot. It and MD are prequels to DE and DEIW.

Personally, coming from a hardcore Deus Ex fan, I would start with the first. It's where the series began and you'd get the most from it. If not, then HR is a nice place to start because it's a new story with a new protagonist in a new world. There are a lot of nods to the original but nothing that would spoil your enjoyment.

Edit: I would completely ignore Deus Ex Revision. It's a horrible fan remake of an already 10/10 game.

Deus Ex: ReVision (which is basically Deus Ex: Remastered, but by fans) is on Steam. Its the first game and although if you are new to the series, some of its elements might seem jarring, it is hands down the best first person role playing game I've ever had the good pleasure to play

I wouldn't advise the OP to play Deus Ex: Revision.

It changes up the soundtrack (Which is for me a pillar of the game) and makes it much worse. Hell, some of the level redesigns are just absurd (Manderley's office and the section where Walter Simons and Bob Page discussing at the intro cutscene)

He's better off with vanilla Deus Ex. And if he likes the game, he should try out GMDX instead.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for mentioning this. I hadn't heard of it and installing it for when I eventually get to the series (bought the series bundle--all but Mankind Divided--in a past Steam sale).

bluexy

Human Revolution is the perfect place to start! I'd say go from Human Revolution directly into Mankind Divided, then going back and trying out the original depending on how much you've enjoyed the series.

The original game really is outstanding -- a classic. But it's got that older game kind of niche to it, where it's quite a bit clunky and frustrating to deal with at times. Not to say it isn't worth playing, it's just a rougher place to start into the franchise considering how well Human Revolution created a new launch point. Check 'em all out, OP!

The first one has definitely suffered with time on the graphics side but there's a reason is been known as one of the great games of the era. If you can, start with the first one. If not, I suppose HR would work.

Deus Ex isnt known as one of the best games of it era - Its one of the best game in the entire mediums history, comprising every genre and every platform imaginable.

Be sure to go in this exact order

Deus Ex Invisible War

Mankind Divided

Human Revolution

Deus Ex

hehe.

The OP might hear every now and then something about the Revision mod for Deus Ex 1. OP should take note that that mod is a piece of shit and forget it exists. Then OP should proceed to install GMDX over the original game, which comes with all the necessary graphical tweaks, all set up automatically by the installer. And more importantly gameplay, design and AI refinements which cement Deus Ex 1 as a timeless and one of a kind masterpiece in the gaming medium. The few faults you could acuse Deus Ex 1 go away with this mod and brings the game to near perfection. Deus Ex GMDX crushes Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. It pulverizez them into tiny atoms.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKHPtfammNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-bSLkfzWYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIPhQBRMfs

I really didn't like how they forced the DLC onto you during the main game in Directors Cut. Thought I was about to beat the game then nope. Eventually got bored and uninstalled without even beating it.

Human Revolution.

You may as well get into the one designed to appeal to newcomers best, while not feeling dated and also having enough time in the oven unlike Mankind Divided.

Seriously, the original will be there whether you like HR or not, and HR doesn't bank heavily on the first's story.

Edit: I understand why people are recommending starting at the first game first, but wouldn't you rather he start off with the one meant to get people into the series, and probably enjoy it, so that he can move onto the original with a newfound appreciation? I've found it's easier to understand a few decisions made in older games in the newfound light with their modern iterations or sequels. I'm not saying he'll be able to apologize for the original's more dated mechanics, but certain things fall in line better when you already like the series. HR sets that up perfectly.

If you start with the modern ones and go chronological, some people may be jarred by the differences in gameplay and the graphics where theywill long for the improvements the newer ones made.

HR and Mankind Divided are prequels that don't spoil the first game so if you find the goty version of the original too dated you can always play HR and then Mankind Divided

I'd recommend spacing out mankind divided and human revolution though because while mankind divided is better they're both fairly long games that are really similar

Peroroncino

Start with Human Revolution, if you get HOOKED, then you can move on to Mankind Divided or try your luck with original Deus Ex.

If you start with the modern ones and go chronological, some people may be jarred by the differences in gameplay and the graphics where theywill long for the improvements the newer ones made.

Or they may be jarred by starting with the oldest game that didn't really age that well and lose interest in the series completely.

Deus Ex 1 with the GMDX mod. To this day, no Deus Ex game has matched the quality of DE1. Mankind Divided gets close, but still falls short.

Start with the best. Avoid mods that heavily change the game like ReVision. GMDX is all you really need.

Pyrokai

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I think I may start with the original one on Steam, but it'll require some time to set up my computer which currently is in... storage, lol. If I dream it too much effort because of my living arrangement, I may just go for Human Revolution.

They're all on sale on Steam, though. Maybe I should partake and just get them all!

I just got Human Revolution Director's Cut on PS3. What difficulty should I start on? How is the hardest difficulty? I like challenging but fun/rewarding games like the Souls series, not frustrating, tediousness with cheap AI.

Be sure to go in this exact order

Deus Ex Invisible War

Mankind Divided

Human Revolution

Deus Ex

This seems like a joke, but just to be clear: don't do this. I can see someone following the logic of playing them worst to best but this is such a bad idea for Deus Ex.

iMerc

if you're wanting to experience the saga chronologically, then you should proceed this way:
1. Deus Ex: Human revolution; Drecitors Cut
2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
3. Deus Ex (the original)
4. Deus Ex: Invisible War

don't let some vocal minorities persuade you otherwise, DE:IW is great fun. while imo it may not be as good as the original, it's still a solid title.
the Story of JC Denton and the world around him is 10 times more interesting than anything Adam Jensen has been involved in.

IF on the other hand you want to first experience the game in its creators original vision, then see how each title since has streamlined the gameplay AND the story, then you should play them through their release dates:
1. Deus Ex
2. Deus Ex: Invisible War
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

skip Invisible War.

Deus Ex is a GOAT contender for videogames so you'd be missing out if you don't play it. But some of the dated gameplay mechanics can put some people off.

HR and Mankind Divided are pretty good games, definitely recommend those two as well.

∀ Narayan;227213390 said:
Deus Ex 1 with the GMDX mod. Start with the best. Avoid mods that heavily change the game like ReVision. GMDX is all you really need.

Really? I've heard good stuff about ReVision, BioMod and Shifter. And is GMDX compatible with standalone campaigns?

I've started the original Deus Ex three or four times and never got very far. I appreciate its legacy, but I just find that game to be like pulling teeth to actually play. I always end up having to savescum to a ridiculous degree to make the slightest bit of progress, because bullets don't go where you aim them, you can't throw distraction items more than like six feet, you have to sneak up on guys excruciatingly slowly and bonk them on a tiny hitbox on the backs of their heads to take them out; I just find it too frustrating.

It might make me a big dumb casual babby, but Human Revolution and Mankind Divided (as well as Dishonored) are much more my speed. So, I'd probably recommend starting with the original, but if you happen not to like it don't let it put you off trying the newer games.

MTC100

Banned
I'll rate the games based on the first Deus Ex for you:

Deus Ex 1: 10/10 Masterpiece material

Deus Ex 2: 6.5/10 watered down game thanks to console limitations at that time
Deus Ex: HR: 8/10 not bad
Deus Ex: MD: 8/10 more of the same

That said, I've played all the games at their prime, maybe up to 1 year after release, I guess Deus Ex 1 isn't that amazing nowadays thanks to the Quake 2 Engine(I think)

The first one is the best in terms of player agency, interactive density, and options. It plays like an RPG first that just happens to be in an FPS framing whereas the Eidos-Montreal games have taken more of a stealth-shooter first with some light RPG style upgrades, so they're pretty different in approach and a matter of taste and adjustment. You will have a pistol at the start of the original game. You will shoot at an enemy. You will miss. Skills need to be upgraded, maps need to be referenced, objectives need to be understood.

So, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Story you can really take or leave from any of them and they all stand alone well enough, but I do consider the first to be head and shoulders above the rest in the series and still one of the best games made.

And although Invisible War gets a bad rap for being the dumbed down sequel, it's perhaps less egregious in that respect than the Eidos-Monstreal games ended up being despite Human Revolution's praises, so I still think it's very much worth checking out.

TheYanger

I've started the original Deus Ex three or four times and never got very far. I appreciate its legacy, but I just find that game to be like pulling teeth to actually play. I always end up having to savescum to a ridiculous degree to make the slightest bit of progress, because bullets don't go where you aim them, you can't throw distraction items more than like six feet, you have to sneak up on guys excruciatingly slowly and bonk them on a tiny hitbox on the backs of their heads to take them out; I just find it too frustrating.

It might make me a big dumb casual babby, but Human Revolution and Mankind Divided (as well as Dishonored) are much more my speed. So, I'd probably recommend starting with the original, but if you happen not to like it don't let it put you off trying the newer games.

"Bullets don't go where you aim them"....yes, your hitbox for your gun is just very large unless you spend skill points in that type of weapon. It's an RPG through and through, not a shooter. If you have trouble knocking people out, just don't. avoid them.

HR and MD are great games, but the first one is so so so much more free than either of those even. The way people talk about Breath of the Wild and just trying things and them actually working, that's what Deus Ex is like. Except almost 20 years old and not openworld non-linear.

Nessus

If you play the original give it at least until the third mission before you give up if it doesn't click for you.

I tried to play the first level at least a dozen times before I finally got into the game.

It's a good level, but I don't think it's a good first level. Even if you do the tutorial, which you really need to, you still don't know enough yet to really enjoy that level.

When you develop an intuitive sense of what you can and cannot get away with, when guards will be able to detect you, learning that a tranquilizer dart doesn't knock out guards immediately and neither does melee attacking them from behind, at least not without upgrades.

It can be an intimidating game, but so worth it. Easily one of my favorite series.

TheYanger

If you play the original give it at least until the third mission before you give up if it doesn't click for you.

I tried to play the first level at least a dozen times before I finally got into the game.

It's a good level, but I don't think it's a good first level. Even if you do the tutorial, which you really need to, you still don't know enough yet to really enjoy that level.

When you develop an intuitive sense of what you can and cannot get away with, when guards will be able to detect you, learning that a tranquilizer dart doesn't knock out guards immediately and neither does melee attacking them from behind, at least not without upgrades.

It can be an intimidating game, but so worth it. Easily one of my favorite series.

Yeah that's probably a good way to phrase Liberty Island as. Not the best 'hey here's a game' first type of level. It's one of the most open levels in the entire game in many ways. So many ways to go about doing it, and the most obvious ones are the most difficult (running in and murdering the guards for example).

It is what sold me on the game back when it came out, but it was also a demo level at a time when entertainment wasn't consumed so quickly, friends and I got that demo on a disc back in the day and just played through that level a dozen times in a dozen different ways, and so in THAT sense it perfectly illustrates what the game is about, but it's also goin g to take a while to get used to it in this day and age which makes that harder.

It's just like Mass Effect 1 - you are not a super soldier. You cannot just shoot people, your aim is garbage and you HAVE to spend skill points to be effective with a weapon. period. Early in the game you can only spend enough points to effectively limit yourself to a few 'easy' paths through the island, at least as a newbie, but not have any idea how to utilize them. Just thoroughly explore and you'll get XP for doing side activities and probably be able to get another skill or two early enough to help out.

Generally speaking it's a game where you need to try things out, decide which approach you enjoy most on Liberty island, and PROBABLY restart then and just build in that direction. You're never going to be able to be a jack of all trades, the game rewards you for choosing a few major skills and accompanying augs and focusing on playing the game in that way. Like, as a stealth assassin, you'll want some hacking, some lockpicking, maybe sniper rifles or a silenced pistol, but you won't be able to afford pretty much anything else.

"Bullets don't go where you aim them"....yes, your hitbox for your gun is just very large unless you spend skill points in that type of weapon. It's an RPG through and through, not a shooter. If you have trouble knocking people out, just don't. avoid them.

Not unless you get a laser sight for your pistol.

Ash735

Human Revolution is the perfect modern day starting point, it does a brilliant job of creating atmosphere and setting up the plot threads that come into focus during the original Deus EX.

A good order would be:

Human Revolution
- Then the Missing Link DLC afterwards
*Take a short break*
Mankind Divided
Deus Ex 1

Think of it as expanding choice and getting yourself used to the mindset and creativity the games allow, HR has some choice and alt paths around, plenty for a first timer to explore. Mankind Divided expands upon that and gets the game closer to the vast style of the original and THEN you're set for the original Deus EX which has a crazy amount of paths to do things.

Pakkidis

The original is a masterpiece and one of the best games ever made. Graphically it doesn't hold up, but the level design, choices, story etc are better than most modern games.

Invisible war wasn't a bad game but nowhere near the level of quality of the original and even HR. IW plays out more like a first person shooter with some RPG elements.

Human Revolution is fantastic and does a great job of living up to the original.

Still haven't played mankind divided yet.

Human Revolution is cool. Haven't played Mankind Divided but it's more of the same it seems. Invisible War is ehhh.

Deus Ex 1 is like taking LSD and being shown the meaning life.

Tl/Dr: Who cares if you play the new Deus Ex games, the original is the only reason the series is so highly regarded / legendary. If you are looking for a cool modern gaming experience, new Deus Ex will work but you're still missing out on what Deus Ex is. Wait and play the original when you're in an old-school gaming mood.

I like how my tldr is longer than the original content

Van Bur3n

Human Revolution is cool. Haven't played Mankind Divided but it's more of the same it seems. Invisible War is ehhh.

Deus Ex 1 is like taking LSD and being shown the meaning life.

Tl/Dr: Who cares if you play the new Deus Ex games, the original is the only reason the series is so highly regarded / legendary. If you are looking for a cool modern gaming experience, new Deus Ex will work but you're still missing out on what Deus Ex is. Wait and play the original when you're in an old-school gaming mood.

I like how my tldr is longer than the original content

This post sums it up.

The first Deus Ex is a must. Everyone should play it and feel its glorious design.

Who cares about Invisible Wars.

Play HR if you're still craving something similar and figure out whether you want to go down Square Enix's shitty road they're paving with MD.

Top Bottom