• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Syndicate Patch 1.51 fixes Pro Support

black070

Assassin's Creed Syndicate v1.51
-Improved 4K Support on PlayStation 4 Pro
-Improved Stability

CBMQiAK.jpg

ttFERSn.jpg

2fFo6rx.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was just the UI that was in 4K previously right?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Divisions UI was 4k.

Syndicate was just some wonky resolution according to DF.

syndicate was rendering at 1440x1620 and then upscaling that lmao

so less than 1920 horizontal and more than 1080 vertical so it just looked terrible

it went from this:

to this:

Ouch, lets hope they fixed it. Was the framerate any better? When I played it at launch, it was more stable than Unity but still felt uneven.

breakfuss

Started this back up after I noticed the patch installed this morning. Only got about 3 hours in but already I can tell this is substantially better than Unity. I'm guessing the same team is not behind both because that game is a complete mess.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

StarPhlox

Perrrrrrfect. I just started this game on Sunday after ignoring the series for years (dropped AC3 about 5 hours into it and never looked back) since a friend insisted this was the best one in the series and it was like $12 on PSN. Having fun so far, though I hope the next game in the series does something new because Syndicate still feels like a tweaked version of the first AC.

Tyaren

Did anything else appart from the higher resolution change? More solid framerate, better texture filtering, higher res shadow maps?

TimeKillr

I hope those stability fixes help with the rather frequent crashes I have in it.. It's so weird to have it crash that often on my regular PS4...

Nice. Been waiting to see if they would resolve the pro patch before jumping back in.

Anyone tested the patch on 1080 yet and have any positive thoughts on the down sampling (if any)?
Yep, I'm on 1080p. Looks like Watchdogs 2 style super sampling, but you know untrained eye and all that. I noticed the issues on the old patch instantly, and I can't see it now - so untrained they maybe, the eyes normally notice this sort of thing. Looking forward to DF/NX videos.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Finally! I made the thread for the last patch and I was really disappointed after my initial excitement. Can't wait to check this out and (hopefully) finish this game.

JP

There's definitely an improvement but there's still some very strange things going on with the handrails in the first couple of images. :(

EDIT:
I mean the ones in the mid ground in the first image and, well, all of them in the second.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
1080p comparisons (different time of day in all, only compare IQ):

Original PS4:
assassinscreedsyndicabks8v.png

Patch 1.5:
assassinscreedsyndicas2s91.png

Patch 1.51:
assassinscreedsyndica0ds1v.png

It's not perfect, I'm noticing pixel crawl, shimmering and shadow oddities (the latter hopefully isn't introduced by the patch) but as you can clearly see it's definitely running at a much higher resolution now and is a clear upgrade over the base version and much better then the horrendous 1.5. If this is how the game is left I'm happy.

Looking forward to seeing a detailed analysis.

Edit: Spent the last few minutes running around the city and it does look pretty fantastic now.

NXGamer

There's definitely an improvement but there's still some very strange things going on with the handrails in the first couple of images. :(

EDIT:
I mean the ones in the mid ground in the first image and, well, all of them in the second.
I covered the first patch with its 1440x1620 output and from your grab here it does look better, that said I am only viewing on a zoomed phone. Will check it out soon but should be now 2880x1620 as it's intended aim. I was convinced the game was using a reconstructed render method when I covered last year so the issues may be from the implemented checkerboard solution here fitting into that pipe.

black070

I covered the first patch with its 1440x1620 output and from your grab here it does look better, that said I am only viewing on a zoomed phone. Will check it out soon but should be now 2880x1620 as it's intended aim. I was convinced the game was using a reconstructed render method when I covered last year so the issues may be from the implemented checkerboard solution here fitting into that pipe.

Thanks NXGamer, looking forward to hearing back from you :)

JP

First of all, keep up the good work, I do watch all the videos. :)

Not my screens, I quoted somebody else's so I've not actually seen it in person. Hopefully you'll offer more feedback when you you can do a proper comparison.

I'm assuming that reconstruction plays a part in it as there's some strange banding in some areas. With aliasing you'll get horizontal and vertical steps because, in it's most basic form, you're just seeing the edges of each pixel.

In these images, to me at least, it looks like this is actually happening at an angle between the horizontal and vertical and that it's not actually the edges of the pixels that are the issue but what's being done between those pixels. Almost as if there's an error in their estimation of what would be happening there.

I don't know a great deal about the technical aspects so I'm not sure if I've even explained that well but it sort of makes sense in my head. Sort of.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started this back up after I noticed the patch installed this morning. Only got about 3 hours in but already I can tell this is substantially better than Unity. I'm guessing the same team is not behind both because that game is a complete mess.

Actually I felt Unity did a lot to help re-vitalize the AC game design. Missions that gave far more freedom in approach beyond literally following the waypoint, you can tackle assassinations especially in a variety of ways unlike the rigid cinematic flair kills of earlier titles. The control scheme was adjusted to make parkour feel more dynamic and in control(Syndicate borrows those developments). Co-op was also a thrilling inclusion when working in tandem with others, but never forced either.

It's just that the story was pointless and forgettable, and of course the launch bugs helped create a perception among gamers that the game was ultimately a failure worth demonizing. A real shame as the game was fixed and many of its advancements will ultimately be seen in AC games going forward, but credit will not be given its due.

Huge improvement but the game still looks rough. Atleast they should add some proper AF. It's baffling that this feature is still missing or dialed back in many recent games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just tested out and it definitely is a major improvement over the last patch. Everything looks much cleaner in comparison on a 4K set, but still a bit lacking in overall IQ in comparison to other Pro-enhanced titles.

Plan to find time to actually play the game now.

It's still looks horrible on my 4K Screen.

Coming from Watch Dogs 2, Shadow of Mordor and Uncharted 4 (my last 3 games played), this looks a mess.

Lots of aliasing (4K games have pretty much surpassed my expectations in this department). Shadows looks terrible. Lots of pop in. Textures look bland everywhere. Shimmering also very present.

Perhaps they should focus on Unity their strength, not this one.

thelastword

Banned

EDIT:
Yeah, well first thing I noticed whilst going through that section yesterday....It doesn't look like straight aliasing though, it looks like some form of artifacting+AA issues.....

I must say though, the game looks much better and crisper than before and IQ is pretty great with some solid AF from my vantagepoint. The only issue which my eye immediately noticed was the rails and some slight shimmer on distant chains etc..So maybe their TAA solution is not properly implemented. It's not a jaggy game at all beyond that, so hopefully they sort it out.

The worse I saw of it, was when you go way to the left in the corner of that opening section and you shift the camera, the rails above you can look pretty bad, straight bonkers....I think we should get it to their attention though.....I have a million pics and would probably take pics that highlights the rails issue, but my USB drive has gone bonkers.......

Eh,..that's the reason I could not post those driveclub shots I promised in that racing comparison thread btw Gestault.....;)

Harp

Played for a bit last night and coming for just about any other Pro game this one looks jaggy. It is cleaner then it was before then it was on ps4. But going from clean images to this and the simmering really stands out.

On the bright side I can finally free up 50 gigs on my harddrive!

Looks like Watchdogs 2 style super sampling, but you know untrained eye and all that.
Yes, the game does supersample at 1080p.

There's definitely an improvement but there's still some very strange things going on with the handrails in the first couple of images.
Yes, I noticed this while pixel counting last night. I believe the apparent "aliasing" is not edges, but actually a lighting effect that's resolved at a lower resolution. (The same sort of thing happens with reflections in Mafia III.) Note that a lot of rails aren't actually straight, they're slightly bent, which I think is contributing to the odd appearance.

Will check it out soon but should be now 2880x1620 as it's intended aim. I was convinced the game was using a reconstructed render method when I covered last year so the issues may be from the implemented checkerboard solution here fitting into that pipe.
Yes, the game is now full 1620p. But I don't think it's using CBR or another reconstructive method; there are no visible artifacts of that kind. The stippling/dithering in the last patch seems to have been due to an error of a different kind.

I'd like to invite anyone who has a Pro and some spare time to help out with [URL="http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1324251]my Pro enhancement thread[/URL]. I'm trying to keep that list current, but for that I need screenshots and impressions. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

NXGamer

Yes, the game does supersample at 1080p.

Yes, I noticed this while pixel counting last night. I believe the apparent "aliasing" is not edges, but actually a lighting effect that's resolved at a lower resolution. (The same sort of thing happens with reflections in Mafia III.) Note that a lot of rails aren't actually straight, they're slightly bent, which I think is contributing to the odd appearance.

Yes, the game is now full 1620p. But I don't think it's using CBR or another reconstructive method; there are no visible artifacts of that kind. The stippling/dithering in the last patch seems to have been due to an error of a different kind.

I'd like to invite anyone who has a Pro and some spare time to help out with [URL="http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1324251]my Pro enhancement thread[/URL]. I'm trying to keep that list current, but for that I need screenshots and impressions. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Good job on the check, yes I have counted last night and agree, it is now a complete solution. The reason I leant toward the last patch being CB targeted is due to the 1440 width being a odd sacrifice unless an "interlace" algorithm was it's intention. I see no crazy artifacts this time but a good method should not really have them bar edge cases (quite literally) and alpha transparencies that may fail/miss reproduction but it could indeed be native.

Commendable task on the thread, always happy to help so can post native 4K grabs for future work as I take them for my counting and host many on my Web articles also, happy to help.

Commendable task on the thread, always happy to help so can post native 4K grabs for future work as I take them for my counting and host many on my Web articles also, happy to help.
Thank you very much! Your work is always impressive, especially how incisively observant you are of fine detail. What you do is very much appreciated.

Top Bottom