• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

sirap

3 fps increase is Xbox One S levels of boost.

I expect at least 7-10 fps increase in performance for unlocked games, or a steady 30fps for games that dipped on the base PS4. Basically what you would expect from (terrible) SLI scaling these days.

DieH@rd

Banned
True, but Until Dawn was unlocked and could go up to 60. Will defnitely benefit from this option.

O rly? Even better!

I got it this holyday for $10 using Sony vaucher [got it for free essentially]. I planed to play it after Q1 rush of games, so this patch will be so great for me!

I'm not getting my hopes up until it actually releases. Wouldn't be surprised if this feature never materializes or is removed before the full firmware release.

Try harder.
Probably could have done without that hostility at the end, but he is right about what to expect, though. The games with unstable framerates are the ones that are probably going to benefit.

Homebrew New 3DS users have the ability to do something similar with older 3DS games: Games that ran at unstable 60 could be boosted up to damn near locked 60fps (Luigi's Mansion 2, Rayman 3D for example) and games that ran at 30 with tons of drops got a more stable 30fps experience (Tales of the Abyss & Kingdom Hearts 3D, to name a few). I'd probably expect something along those lines here. (Though it'd likely be a marginal improvement at best for any unstable 60fps titles)

wiibomb

BLOODBOOOOOOOOOORNE..

oh if I could do 40fps on bloodborne I would be the most happy souls person... I need it..

MIYAZAKI I NEED IT!

Caayn

Why not since beginning? Still good to see that they are trying this. I guess it's also a test for future bc because the current situation is not really convincing Sony is able to do bc with ps5.
  1. Wanted to push devs to release Pro patches for older games? And fewer than expected patches were released?
  2. Certain problems appeared and they didn't feel comfortable to release it untill they've ironed some of them out?
  3. To avoid a possible "Pro breaks games!!!" backlash during launch?
  4. Pressure from the community?
  5. Etc.

Orayn

3 fps increase is Xbox One S levels of boost.

I expect at least 7-10 fps increase in performance for unlocked games, or a steady 30fps for games that dipped on the base PS4. Basically what you would expect from (terrible) SLI scaling these days.

I wouldn't even mention SLI, it'll attract the attention of the mirror universe Misterxmedia guys who think the Pro actually has two GPUs.

I wouldn't get too excited about this. It sounds good on paper, but only getting it into real hands will tell just how beneficial this is.

Just...don't hype yourself up. I'm not looking forward to seeing thread upon thread about how this boost mode was shit or how it didn't work like you thought it did.

kaskade

I'm gonna guess it depends on the game. If it's locked to 30 but dips sometimes it'll probably help with that .

The idea of this is making a PS4 Pro all the more tempting though.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I don't expect this to fix the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne, as that's not strictly a performance issue, but areas would framerate drops should be resolved.

TLZ

Banned
The increase in framerate will be minimal for most games. Any of you expecting 60fps Bloodborne are out of your fucking minds. If a game is capped at 30fps, this will not remove the cap. Also there's a very high probability this will break games in weird ways.

This is not a Megaton by a long shot. Get off your horses!

It's a megaton, and I LOVE IT.

The Xbox One S had a slight boost and it showed in some games, so go figure what the Pro can do if framerates are uncapped.

Now, please, get off your horse.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im pretty sure the engineers at Sony added Boost Mode to stop the annoying "WHENS PRO PATCH?!?!?!" posts on GAF.

https://twitter.com/ILikeLego/status/827516432753770500/photo/1

C3vtyy7WIAA6czA.jpg

Super curious about the "etc etc" part.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Im pretty sure the engineers at Sony added Boost Mode to stop the annoying "WHENS PRO PATCH?!?!?!" posts on GAF.

Lol. But its still an issue. MS has a better abstraction layer in DX. Sony working directly closer to the hardware is an issue with stability, so getting games to run without issue may be pretty spotty.

Syranth

I think we need to add "no it won't make 30 Fps games run at 60" to the thread title at some point

Because we unfortunately don't know this for sure. What we really need is "easier to hit framerate cap".

Everyone should be excited but calm down a little. Thoughts:

• This should let games hit their framerate caps more often
  • This will expose games that didn't put in framerate caps as they might get worse
  • Developers are gonna scramble to put blocks on this if their engine can't handle it

ISee

It's a megaton, and I LOVE IT.

The Xbox One S had a slight boost and it showed in some games, so go figure what the Pro can do if framerates are uncapped.

Now, please, get off your horse.

It depends what the cause for improper frametimes or fps drops is. If there is some sort of gpu limit 10-12 fps are possible and that's great. But if the problem is more CPU bound (like JC3 for example) it will be 2-4 fps, nothing major but it will help of course.

BLOODBOOOOOOOOOORNE..

oh if I could do 40fps on bloodborne I would be the most happy souls person... I need it..

MIYAZAKI I NEED IT!

40 fps won't feel good too though, because frame timing would still be off. Proper 30 would already be enough.

Jotaka

So someone (who seems to be in the beta test for 4.5) tried out boost mode on Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, said couldn't really notice any framerate difference personally.
https://twitter.com/watayuki0909/status/827519240135544832

Maybe you need to test places where there is framerate drops to see the real differences?

both probable are 30fps capped so it won't see any difference depending of the what he is doing. Need to check other place and situations to check.

wapplew

Which pro patched game raise frame rate substantially? I doubt boost mode will perform better than native pro patch.

onQ123

Hey look it's me again lol

Why envy the small boost that Xbox One S give games if the base PS4 is still running these games better?

Besides I think if you give them time to test a lot of games we might get a sneak update that boost the frame rate of some unpatched games

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225111009&postcount=155

Not the same thing here?

Yeah because the Pro and S models are totally going for the same thing.

Someone from DF said they might do some testing to compile a list of Xbox One games with a noticeable boost on Xbox One S when I was asking how many games actually got a good boost from using Xbox One S method vs the method that PS4 Pro was using with games being updated by hand.

Well the video that this thread is about did just that. now I wondering just how the number of Xbox One games with noticeable upgrades on Xbox One S compare to the number of PS4 games with noticeable upgrades on PS4 Pro & how these upgrades actually compare?

Is it over 400 Xbox One games with noticeable enhancements on Xbox One S vs 40 Pro enhanced PS4 games or is it closer to 100 Xbox One games with noticeable enhancements on Xbox One S?

I still want to see the number of Xbox One games that got a noticeable boost when running on Xbox One S & how that number compare to the games that are getting PS4 Pro enhancements,

What was there to respond to? if it was fixed it was fixed & it didn't take away from the fact that it was a problem across both consoles even when one had more power unlocked for the game.

Do we have any examples of Xbox One S fixing frame pacing issues automatically? because I was responding to someone who said that if it was a Xbox One game Xbox One S would have fixed it without people having to ask the devs to fix it, so did it fix the frame pacing issues in some Xbox One games?

You sound like a politician. No list exists because who has time to actually test that? There is no list for that reason.

It's really pretty simple - you won't see improvements in games that already run smoothly and it would never fix frame pacing bugs. Games with GPU related drops, where we see dips just below 30 (or 60) or torn frames, will likely benefit. I think it's effectiveness has been blown out of proportion but it's still nice to see since it eliminates performance problems in some big games.

I'll probably do some more testing now out of curiosity but there is no magical list. Maybe I'll start one.

It's akin to an overclocked PSP. Games that were well designed within the constraints of the hardware see no benefit but for those that had issues, the overclock made a big difference and resulted in smoothed out frame-rates.

Sephzilla

I'm not expecting something like a Bloodborne 60 FPS experience. But a more stable 30 FPS or a boost up to like 40 FPS would be nice, assuming the game isn't capped at 30

firelogic

I can just see all the threads regarding game X and how the boost mode makes it run weird or crash and people complaining that Sony allowed this to happen and/or are too lazy to fix the problems when it's exactly what they've asked for regardless of Sony saying that games not patched specifically would be broken in some way most of the time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can just see all the threads regarding game X and how the boost mode makes it run weird or crash and people complaining that Sony allowed this to happen and/or are too lazy to fix the problems when it's exactly what they've asked for regardless of Sony saying that games not patched specifically would be broken in some way most of the time.

Atleast its a toggle so you can just redirect it back to turning off the toggle.

Nice try to spin like it's a negative thing when fps improvement is ALWAYS a positive thing.

No its not. If your getting 30 to 35fps, a lot of judder and screen tearing, no its not a positive thing.

Top Bottom