• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch may support old controllers with an update

Skeletos311

Something from the Kimishima Time interview that I think deserves its own thread. http://time.com/4662446/nintendo-president-switch-interview/

Is Switch powerful enough to emulate Wii U games, or would they have to be ports, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

We can take games and bring them and make them playable on Switch. So they can be remade for Switch, yes.

That said, Switch is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. In some cases, games from past systems may be re-released for the Nintendo Switch system as either enhanced or original versions.

Let me dream of what they could do for a minute.

Wiimote connected Controllers - The Switch doesn't have a sensor bar, but it sure would be nice to be able to use Wii and Wii U arcade sticks, NES Classic controllers, and Wii Classic controllers on Switch with games like Ultra Street Fightter II and Arcade Archives and VC.

The Wii U GamePad - Too crazy! Totally not happening! But it would allow for Wii U ports with all the second screen functionality.

Wii U Pro Controller - A cheaper alternative to the Switch Pro Controller. It would be nice for Virtual Console.

GameCube Controller Adapter - No need to make a new adapter, you can just hook the old one up for whatever Smash comes to Switch and GC VC, if that happens.

Illucio

Banned
Gamecube Adapter and Wii U Pro Controller update please.

I can see a Wiimote working as well for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the like.

brinstar

Pro Controller support would be awesome, I do want to get a Switch one at some point but it'd be nice to have the option as an extra pad.

I don't don't think the switch is powerful enough to perfectly emulate wii u games. Rather, we'd get switch ports of wii u games. Like GC games like Resident Evil 4, Pikmin 1+2, Metroid Prime 1&2 on being ported to the Wii with different controller compatabilities. I think Super Mario 3D World, Smash 4, Super Mario Marker, and Xenoblade X are good candidates.

bomblord1

Banned
Pretty sure he's exclusively referring to the gamecube controller adapter.

At least I hope so. I'de rather it be a single cohesive experience rather than needing 4 different controllers to get the best experience across different games. I don't want to re-experience the nightmare that was Smash Bros WiiU control options.

Smash-Screenshot-18.jpg

At least I hope so. I'de rather it be a single cohesive experience rather than needing 4 different controllers to get the best experience across different games. I don't want to re-experience the nightmare that was Smash Bros WiiU control options.

How on earth are options a bad thing?

Night.Ninja

Banned
Really? You sell controllers for $70+ only to update the console so you can use old generation controllers.

It's not going to happen.

Kindekuma

Banned
PLEASE

I have the Wii U Pro Controller already, I don't want to spend more money on a new Pro Controller. It's bluetooth ffs

Patch the GCN adapter for Virtual Console + Smash Bros, and the Wii U Pro because it's amazing and I'd rather stick with mine than shell out 100 bucks for a Switch pro.

Only controllers I see realistically being supported are the Gamecube adapter and the Wii U Pro Controller... and I'm hesitant to even say the Pro Controller.

Maybe some specialty controllers like the Balance Board if a game makes use of them.

The GameCube controller lives on! It's so cool to see my first console controller continue to be supported all these years later.

I'm quite surprised the Wii U pro isn't supported, as the horizon pad is basically equivalent to the WiiU point functionality although obviously wired not wireless

Skeletos311

I really want to be able to use my TVC and TTT2 sticks on USFII and Arcade Archives. I don't want to buy that RAP (which never showed up at retailers after the leak) for them.

jax

Banned
All it would really need is GameCube Adapter and Wiimote support.

I wouldn't expect them at least until GCVC is announced..

udivision

Well, you can thank Nintendo for their unique controller innovations because it is literally impossible for them to design one controller today that can effectively play their library, which will always be the limiting factor for VC.

Neoxon

It'll probably be something like adding GameCube Adapter support for Smash 4 Deluxe & the rumored GameCube Virtual Console games.

Nothing's wrong with having more options.

Well, you can thank Nintendo for their unique controller innovations because it is literally impossible for them to design one controller today that can effectively play their library, which will always be the limiting factor for VC.

Obviously everyone's different, but I would rather have a controller that worked well for the games on the system it's used with, rather than some generic catch-all controller across generations.

That was such an awesome pad. Glad to have owned and used it.

Agreed. Great for the GBA Player.

Top Bottom