• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II | More details on The Way of the Hado, Color Edit, images

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/u...l-challengers-additional-details-screenshots/

Besides the two modes mentioned in that post, there’s a also Practice mode, that lets you practice your moves. About the XP, you can use them to improve the following parameters:

VITAL (health)
ATTACK
SPEED
GUTS
DEFENSE
LUCK
Regarding the many illustrations from the official artbook, found in the Gallery, we learn that there’s over 1400 of them. They’re available at a high resolution (250dpi), which means users will be able to zoom on each page to read text.

Finally, about the Color Edit mode, that lets you edit the colours of a given character, Capcom specifies that you can save up to 10 colours for each character. Naturally, you can use your custom character in all game modes, even online.

10.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

More after the jump.

Can you mock at me? Sure you can, if old.

Neoxon

As much as I love messing with character colors, SFxT was plagued with neon & camouflaged characters online. Hopefully it won't be that bad in USFII.

dcx4610

I'm going to spend way too much time on color edit. I don't know why but I was obsessed with the outfit colors as a kid. Ryu in red with a white headband is coming.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Totally buying this. DGAF about the first person mode, really. Just want to play the game on the go.

Vespa

Colour edit mode should have had restricted choices imo, you're going to see a ton of garish looking colour schemes online :/

What the hell does Luck do ?
SF2 had a bunch of random variables for damage, input windows, and even chances of blocking a move. Probably moves the RNG more in your favor.
http://combovid.com/?p=1450

512 Special and 512 Guard
In WW there is a 1-in-512 chance of a random button press doing a special move. This can cause a charge move to happen without a charge, but can't be used to cancel a normal. There is a also a 1-in-512 chance of a move being automatically blocked without the player holding back. This is probably not a glitch.

kunonabi

As much as I love messing with character colors, SFxT was plagued with neon & camouflaged characters online. Hopefully it won't be that bad in USFII.

That's just how it is. Every fighter with color edits end up that way.

Good to see color edit not being gimped at launch like SFxT.

Sapiens

My friend asked me to ask, but will there be a feature that links me directly to Udon's deviantart page so I can like their art while I wait in the guaranteed-to-be-empty lobbies?

L Thammy

Since it says customized characters can be brought online and there's stat building, my initial assumption is that there will be an option to play online with customization.
EDIT: Oh, didn't notice the screenshot. Are the stats only for wagglin mode?

My friend asked me to ask, but will there be a feature that links me directly to Udon's deviantart page so I can like their art while I wait in the guaranteed-to-be-empty lobbies?

There's no feature Capcom could design that would allow me to like Udon's art.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
The main problem with SFxT was that there was all these metallic/glowing/florescent/flashing effects you could put on all at the same time. You couldn't even tell who the character was anymore.

This shouldn't be nearly as bad, although it remains to be seen if you can set everything to pitch black and make some stupid Noob Saibot (silhouette of outer space black) people have to deal with online.

Definitely getting a switch for this game.

Edit: never saw anything wrong with Udonn art, characters look better than SF4&5, where does this hate generate from?

That's interesting, most people seem repulsed by it for what ever reason. It isn't my reason for getting a Switch but I'm definitely getting it. A nice portable version of SF2 with online? Sounds great to me.
Yeah I don't get the repulsion at all? I don't know if it's some FGC thing, but as a hardcore quarter popping in a pizza place SF2 casual? I love it.

That chalk white e Honda looks insane. I want a chalk white blanka with red hair, a tan Guile with brown hair...yeah there is just ....this is the street fighter game for me, not 5, this just appeals to me a lot more. Bunch of silly features I never used before? I'm down.

dcx4610

Edit: never saw anything wrong with Udonn art, characters look better than SF4&5, where does this hate generate from?

I definitely think Udonn style is better than SF4/5 but worse than SF2 and SF3. They are too muscular to me. I'll be playing with the old graphics and backgrounds.

The art in this game is so atrocious. I'm just glad there's the retro graphics option.

Help me see the atrociosness. Even though it's probably just an opinion thing, it doesn't look that different from the original where reactions would skip over mediocre, average and shoot right to atrocious?

TreIII

Eh, what the hell. Color Edit gives me all the nice memories of making so many different color schemes in CvS2. Definitely something I stand to take advantage of when I pick this up for my Switch.

L Thammy

Help me see the atrociosness. Even though it's probably just an opinion thing, it doesn't look that different from the original where reactions would skip over mediocre, average and shoot right to atrocious?

One big part of the problem is that Udon was brought on to do the sprite animations, but they're not an animation studio, so their artists had no experience with making animations look consistent.

Also Udon is trash, but that's subjective, so I'll not lean on that point.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I don't get the repulsion at all? I don't know if it's some FGC thing, but as a hardcore quarter popping in a pizza place SF2 casual? I love it.

In terms of art, here's a breakdown:

-Art style/detail varies wildly from fighter to fighter, making it visually non-consistent.

-The animation in general is bad. We all know that they didn't want to add any extra frames of animation and we understand they want to die on that hill, but you can tell they didn't hire animators to do this. Look at some of the idle animations. Look at Ryu's feet. He's supposed to be bouncing up and down much like you see any fighter, but his feet are all over the place. Furthermore, the human eye can tell if something is the same drawing stretched/skewed/rotated. There's a ton of that here and it makes it look cheap and lifeless.

-The art in general for the characters is bad. It seems they couldn't decide whether to 'interpret' how the pixels work together to form shapes, or to just trace lines verbatim. Some characters had their poses/proportions altered (Ryu definitely) while others had adherence to the original sprite good art be damned. This is especially evident on Cammy, where she looks just awful. I know they didn't want to risk going against original sprite sizes/hit-boxes, but they seriously just could have lowered the bottom of her crotch, and dropped her knees to compensate, and she would have looked way more human. Even then, some of the tracing was done poorly. It's hard to tell sometimes what forms are supposed to be in front of each other. Really flattens the characters.

-By far the worst part that brings the whole thing crashing down are the backgrounds. Not only do they look arguably way worse than the originals, they interfere with game play. The fighters are all far less detailed, with basic shading and colored lines. The background characters all have detailed faces, more detailed shading and thick black outlines. Go to the Mexico stage and move the fighters towards the crowd in the center. Who's in front? The fighters, or the crowd? This is not only unpleasing to the eye because it makes everything so flat, it also makes it hard to tell where your character is during a fight. It's actually possible to lose track of where your fighter is or what your opponent is doing. The old art had a sense of depth where it looks like the fighters are in a world that you could walk around in. On top of that, you could always tell where your characters were at. That's because the old art has atmospheric perspective and depth of field in terms of how it prioritizes detail and color. The fighters are the most detailed and pop out, while the backgrounds get less detailed and more muted the further you go back.

It's a product of low budget and fast deadlines.

I never really had a big problem with the Udon artwork either. What I didn't like though was how in SF Turbo HD Remix when you turned on "classic" graphics, that only changed the characters, not the backgrounds, so you had pixelated characters on super sharp backgrounds. In this game they've fixed that - they remade the classic backgrounds (and updated at least some of them to match SFV).

Piers

One big part of the problem is that Udon was brought on to do the sprite animations, but they're not an animation studio, so their artists had no experience with making animations look consistent.

In general, just tracing over SF2's animations looks gross. Alpha looked significantly better for more than just visual detail.
The low number of animation frames looks particularly bad when bumped up to HD too. You could pass off upscaled pixels as nostalgia, but 1080p assets? No dice.

Maybe USFII is P.N.03 all over again

In terms of art, here's a breakdown:

-Art style/detail varies wildly from fighter to fighter, making it visually non-consistent.

-The animation in general is bad. We all know that they didn't want to add any extra frames of animation and we understand they want to die on that hill, but you can tell they didn't hire animators to do this. Look at some of the idle animations. Look at Ryu's feet. He's supposed to be bouncing up and down much like you see any fighter, but his feet are all over the place. Furthermore, the human eye can tell if something is the same drawing stretched/skewed/rotated. There's a ton of that here and it makes it look cheap and lifeless.

-The art in general for the characters is bad. It seems they couldn't decide whether to 'interpret' how the pixels work together to form shapes, or to just trace lines verbatim. Some characters had their poses/proportions altered (Ryu definitely) while others had adherence to the original sprite good art be damned. This is especially evident on Cammy, where she looks just awful. I know they didn't want to risk going against original sprite sizes/hit-boxes, but they seriously just could have lowered the bottom of her crotch, and dropped her knees to compensate, and she would have looked way more human. Even then, some of the tracing was done poorly. It's hard to tell sometimes what forms are supposed to be in front of each other. Really flattens the characters.

-By far the worst part that brings the whole thing crashing down are the backgrounds. Not only do they look arguably way worse than the originals, they interfere with game play. The fighters are all far less detailed, with basic shading and colored lines. The background characters all have detailed faces, more detailed shading and thick black outlines. Go to the Mexico stage and move the fighters towards the crowd in the center. Who's in front? The fighters, or the crowd? This is not only unpleasing to the eye because it makes everything so flat, it also makes it hard to tell where your character is during a fight. It's actually possible to lose track of where your fighter is or what your opponent is doing. The old art had a sense of depth where it looks like the fighters are in a world that you could walk around in. On top of that, you could always tell where your characters were at. That's because the old art has atmospheric perspective and depth of field in terms of how it prioritizes detail and color. The fighters are the most detailed and pop out, while the backgrounds get less detailed and more muted the further you go back.

It's a product of low budget and fast deadlines.
Oh wow, I never personally thought of any of that, when I played it I was just happy to have a shinier version of an old game. I didn't notice any of the things you mentioned above, and I almost feel awful simply stating that because you gave me exactly what I wanted to know, I guess some of those things were minor details to me that I just disregarded. Of course now that I read your detailed response, I'm probably going to notice all those things now, but end of the day, the SF2 games are my favorite out of all the SF universe, once SF3 came about the series was never the same to me again.

I guess I just like the updated look, all respect to those who don't enjoy the art of course, I'm happy they are giving the options to those who want to use the old sprites.

This game did........have the best promos though when they incorporated the powerful music that is Joe Esposito's "you're the best.....around"

It's not atrocious. It's very annoying when people think either something is amazing or it's just trash. It's like you do know there words in the middle? Lol

I think I might be picking up USF2. Not quite sure yet.

kunonabi

Turn on retro mode and all is right. Original backgrounds, original sprites, balanced gameplay and most importantly, color edit!

sfii_2D00_retro.jpg

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. 9 times out of 10 Capcom's attempt to balance something ends up having the opposite effect.

Top Bottom