• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy-con desync issue seems to be fixed with day one patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

https://twitter.com/arepty/status/837326005815689216
Update: having the joy-cons attached to the device during a reboot applies the update and solves the issue
https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/837326275727474688
This explains why Day One patch fixed my Left JoyCon issues but not other peoples. SEEMS WE HAVE A FIX!!!!!!!!

EDIT : Maybe not ? Conflictual reports.
UPDATE 2/3/17 4:00pm: The Nintendo Switch's day one system update has launched, and there are reports online that installing the patch with the Joy-Cons attached updates the firmware on the controllers, resolving the de-sync issues. Is this really the case? Unfortunately not. We've updated our console with controllers attached and re-run the battery of tests detailed below. In all cases, the range and consistency of the connection of each Joy-Con remains the same, and the left controller still has demonstrably weaker range than the right. Eurogamer has contacted Nintendo several times now concerning this issue, and we still await a reply.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...y-cons-tested-are-there-really-de-sync-issues

J@hranimo

Banned
2333540_o.gif

We made it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Huh, nice. Weird that the update would only be applied with the Joycons attached though. Is there actually a physical data connection between them and the Switch? I thought they communicated via Bluetooth whether attached or not.

Xane

I wonder what the new battery life is after the patch. I'm certain they simply strengthened the signal, which uses up more battery.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
And that's why Nintendo never said anything. No sense in calling more attention to it than necessary. Otherwise you have potential customers thinking that there's problems with the hardware and avoid it.

Some folks still think Microsoft doesn't allowed used games, for instance.

HunteronX

Banned
Well played on the updateable firmware. They dodged a bullet, there.

EDIT: Never mind. Eurogamer is saying otherwise. Well, time to wait for more tests to be done.

Silkworm

I wonder if people who canceled their Switch pre-orders due to this can uncancel their pre-orders or if it's too late

I wonder how many of those who claimed to have cancelled either

1) really had a pre-order to cancel
2) were really serious about cancelling

:p

Interfectum

They should have told Switch hardware reviewers yesterday that the issue would be fixed instead of letting them run with stories of faulty hardware.

Kyuur

Awesome, now people can stop losing their minds over this and move onto the next thing (not-FC FCs).

And that's why Nintendo never said anything. No sense in calling more attention to it than necessary. Otherwise you have potential customers thinking that there's problems with the hardware and avoid it.

Some folks still think Microsoft doesn't allowed used games, for instance.
Bingo. They knew the story would blow over if they had a fix ready on day one, and that seems to be the case.

HeySeuss

This is why Nintendo didn't release a statement. 99% of people would never have even known about it so the negative press they would have received from bringing to light a non-issue would not be worth it.

Huh, nice. Weird that the update would only be applied with the Joycons attached though. Is there actually a physical data connection between them and the Switch? I thought they communicated via Bluetooth whether attached or not.

Probably to make sure they don't run out of power while updating the firmware.

During such an update you do not want to run out of battery or you would end up with a bricked joycon.

Xdrive05

Great! So...
1) Download and install patch.
2) Attach JoyCons to Switch.
3) Reboot Switch.
4) Play Zelda with the left JoyCon in your butt.

CronoShot

I wonder what the new battery life is after the patch. I'm certain they simply strengthened the signal, which uses up more battery.

No doubt the left and right joycons have the same internal hardware (connectivity wise), but the right joycon was totally fine while the left one acted up. It could have simply been a software bug in the left joycon.

maxcriden

This is why Nintendo didn't release a statement. 99% of people would never have even known about it so the negative press they would have received from bringing to light a non-issue would not be worth it.

I agree. But, I hope outlets that dinged it for this (understandably at the time) revise their reviews. I also don't think it would have been the worst thing for Nintendo to comment to those outlets that they're fixing it.

To update the firmware of my XB1 controllers, I have to plug them in to the console via USB. Don't want to risk bricking with interference is my guess.

Interfectum

They didn't have to release a statement. Just answer any of the emails sent by journalists saying "any connectivity issues should be cleared up with day 1 update."

Instead we have reviews saying that the left joy con is broken.

Wired review:

TIRED
Left Joy-Con doesn't work when I play on the TV, making TV play impossible.

Jeff-DSA

How many hardware reviews are going to have to be updated now? Does IGN's 6.7 become a 6.8 now?

Pre-release hardware reviews are pretty silly. I understand the reason for getting them out as early as possible (CLICKS, CLICKS, CLICKS), but it really ends up messy just a few days in.

They didn't have to release a statement. Just answer any of the emails sent by journalists saying "any connectivity issues should be cleared up with day 1 update."

Instead we have reviews saying that the left joy con is broken.

Wired review:

but they did say to some press that they'll investigate it, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom