• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy-con desync issue seems to be fixed with day one patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

As expected. People are looking for confirmation that their hopes have come true. Twitter posts made after some brief tests don't confirm anything.

To be fair i have seen the same responses in the Switch subreddit. Not doubting DF, but we need more people testing this.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
LKD as a source?

Yeah, knew how that would end... :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Even if the update improved the the connection it doesn't mean that you can still mess it up if that's your goal.

Will get mine tomorrow and expect it to be a non issue tbh. If not I'll be pissed.. But for now that's my impression.

LordKano

LKD is not the source, she only quoted someone who thought he fixed the issue. I wouldn't have made the thread based on her alone.

ekim

In installed the update but didn't test the behavior before. I have no problems whatsoever. Placed both joy cons behind my back and there were no drops so far. Will now try in gameplay.

Antagon

Even if this didn't fix the issue, doesn't this prove that the joycon firmware can be updated? That would mean that a software fix is likely possible, even if it's not there yet.

NSESN

In installed the update but didn't test the behavior before. I have no problems whatsoever. Placed both joy cons behind my back and there were no drops so far. Will now try in gameplay.

Can you repeat the DF tests please?

Timeaisis

So I can assume it works better, now that some people seem to have it "fixed" for them? But it's still not actually fixed...that's what I'm getting from this.

ekim

Can you repeat the DF tests please?

I have some choppy movement in the calibration menu but only if I really (unnaturally) cover the whole left joycon with my hand AND have it behind my back. If my hands are resting on the couch not directly pointing to the console it's still working perfectly. I'm 3 meters away from my TV.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have some choppy movement in the calibration menu but only if I really (unnaturally) cover the whole left joycon with my hand AND have it behind my back. If my hands are resting on the couch not directly pointing to the console it's still working perfectly. I'm 3 meters away from my TV.
Gameblog ran the same test and had no issue. It looks like a specific batch is concerned, how large it is remains to be seen.

Buggy Loop

The only fix required is for desyncing when you are naturally playing a game, like what happened to ProJared. Extending range is required. Which is the real issue.

Not for covering the full thing like an idiot or behind your back.

Pandy

To be fair i have seen the same responses in the Switch subreddit. Not doubting DF, but we need more people testing this.
Their test was good for range, but didn't specifically identify any failures with line of sight at close range, as we'd had reports of previously.

The output strength wasn't the whole problem, so re-running their test won't show much.

I know this isn't a confirmed fix, but let's say hypothetically it was. If you downloaded the update with the joy-cons unattached, would you be SOL?

I know this isn't a confirmed fix, but let's say hypothetically it was. If you downloaded the update with the joy-cons unattached, would you be SOL?

It says a reboot with them attached does it. I bet every time they're connected it checks to make sure the firmware versions match/are up to date

UltraJay

The joy-cons always communicate wirelessly. There is never a wired data connection between them and the Switch console. Attaching them to the system only provides power. Connecting them does go through a syncing process though.

EDIT: Is the reboot with them attached just a placebo? I didn't think they ever directly connect to the console.

sdconvoy

The joy-cons always communicate wirelessly. There is never a wired data connection between them and the Switch console. Attaching them to the system only provides power. Connecting them does go through a syncing process though.

There's gotta be SOME kind of directly connected data transfer. Don't you sync up controllers by popping them on the main unit?

Edit: Durr I can't read.

As I exclusively play videogames while sat on the center seat of a couch and stuff my hands under the adjacent seat cushions, this is an international tragedy.

I don't know if this is confirmed actually. At the very least there seems to be some sort of logic that tells the Switch when the Joycons are attached.

mcmudman

Neo Member

EDIT: Is the reboot with them attached just a placebo? I didn't think they ever directly connect to the console.

Well if the joy cons can only charge when attached to the system docked and in handheld mode then I'm assuming that there is some sort of direct connection or transfer

Interfectum

I don't know if this is confirmed actually. At the very least there seems to be some sort of logic that tells the Switch when the Joycons are attached.

It's probably the same logic as a lot of electronics... for example my Apple Watch wont update unless it's connected to a power source. Joycons probably refuse to take any fireware update until it's connected to receive power.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

As others have said, this (if true) is most likely just to ensure that they don't run out of power in the middle of a firmware update.

If that's the case then how do the controllers still work when the device is in Airplane Mode? Doesn't that disable Bluetooth?

It's probably the same logic as a lot of electronics... for example my Apple Watch wont update unless it's connected to a power source. Joycons probably refuse to take any fireware update until it's connected to receive power.

Well here, the difference is the Switch knows (and will show you) if the joycons are separated, attached to the Switch, or attached to a charging grip. So there is some logic that distinguishes where it attaches to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom