• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joy-con desync issue seems to be fixed with day one patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quonny

This is why Nintendo didn't release a statement. 99% of people would never have even known about it so the negative press they would have received from bringing to light a non-issue would not be worth it.

It's really not that hard to email journalists and say that a day one patch would fix it.

That same 1% would see that statement.

Huh, nice. Weird that the update would only be applied with the Joycons attached though. Is there actually a physical data connection between them and the Switch? I thought they communicated via Bluetooth whether attached or not.

Perhaps it's a charge safety issue, kind of like when you need to update a phone or laptop it needs to be plugged in (or charged up to a certain level). I imagine its a matter of changing baseline software such that if something goes wrong and it loses connection during the process, it could brick a device/controller. That would be my guess.

Edit: Ha, beaten.

Justified

Would like to see outlets redo those battery test to see if maybe Nintendo boost the signal and if it has an effect on the battery

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So I wonder then, if you have additional pairs of joy-cons, how the update gets applied to them? Will it happen automatically the next time you connect those ones to the tablet after the update?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...y-cons-tested-are-there-really-de-sync-issues

UPDATE 2/3/17 4:00pm: The Nintendo Switch's day one system update has launched, and there are reports online that installing the patch with the Joy-Cons attached updates the firmware on the controllers, resolving the de-sync issues. Is this really the case? Unfortunately not. We've updated our console with controllers attached and re-run the battery of tests detailed below. In all cases, the range and consistency of the connection of each Joy-Con remains the same, and the left controller still has demonstrably weaker range than the right. Eurogamer has contacted Nintendo several times now concerning this issue, and we still await a reply.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This is why the whole joycongate issue never really bothered me when news broke out, plus I knew that I would be protected thanks to the 1 year warranty and EU customer right acts.

I wonder if people who canceled their Switch pre-orders due to this can uncancel their pre-orders or if it's too late

I really doubt those folks actually had Switch pre-order or cancelled it, they were just spouting hot air and latching on to the bad news because...they like running around like headless chicken? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zelda doesn't support HD rumble

What?! pre-order cancelled.

So I wonder then, if you have additional pairs of joy-cons, how the update gets applied to them? Will it happen automatically the next time you connect those ones to the tablet after the update?

Yeah it should do. The update will check the joy cons and apply the update.

I wonder if people who canceled their Switch pre-orders due to this can uncancel their pre-orders or if it's too late
Anyone who actually cancelled over this were probably on the fence anyways. Its a super rash thing to do if you were sure you actually wanted the system day 1.

Yazuka

Nice! Glad they were able to fix it with a patch. Only a few more hours until I have my Switch! 💜

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Eurogamer says nope.

UPDATE 2/3/17 4:00pm: The Nintendo Switch's day one system update has launched, and there are reports online that installing the patch with the Joy-Cons attached updates the firmware on the controllers, resolving the de-sync issues. Is this really the case? Unfortunately not. We've updated our console with controllers attached and re-run the battery of tests detailed below. In all cases, the range and consistency of the connection of each Joy-Con remains the same, and the left controller still has demonstrably weaker range than the right. Eurogamer has contacted Nintendo several times now concerning this issue, and we still await a reply.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...y-cons-tested-are-there-really-de-sync-issues

Wonder if they rebooted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/837333910639947776

bomblord1

Banned
I've read before hand that retail joy-cons don't suffer these issues. Well, at least one source claimed it at least.

BusinessKong

Neo Member
Great! So...
1) Download and install patch.
2) Attach JoyCons to Switch.
3) Reboot Switch.
4) Play Zelda with the left JoyCon in your butt.

56249019.jpg

Xane

No doubt the left and right joycons have the same internal hardware (connectivity wise), but the right joycon was totally fine while the left one acted up. It could have simply been a software bug in the left joycon.

Ney, both had the issue. GameXplain tested it, and I'm not surprised it affects both. The cause for this was a weak signal, which couldn't penetrate solid objects like hands as well. Giving the wireless adapter more juice likely fixed this issue, trading off some minor battery time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom