• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands PC performance thread

Gaz_RB

Thanks to everyone in the thread that helped me figure this out.

My issue was that I'd get stutters every time the game would save (the little Ghost Recon icon in the corner). This is because I have my OS and thus My Documents on my smaller SDD and the actual game saved on my much larger (and maybe dying HDD). I moved the game files from the HDD to the SSD and everything has been silky smooth since, no stutter. Sometimes I think I get that network related freezing, but I don't think that has to do with hardware.

It's rare that I get an issue like this and am able to fix it, so thanks guys!

I have the game installed on an SSD, and I still get asset streaming issues, sometimes with full freezes for 1-2 seconds. Still cant figure out how to get rid of screen tearing, and the the frame times feel like shit.

When I played the open beta, locking the game to 30 fps fixed that issue for me. I know it's not ideal, but after doing that, I had a far better experience.

Dunkley

Pretty tough for me to get it to 60fps. Running on my GTX960 2GB with an overclocked Intel i7 860 (so you can already guess it'll struggle with this game), I only managed to get a solid 60fps by using the High Preset, setting Texture Quality to low and reducing the rendering resolution to 0.70.

I will spare you the screenshots since the game isn't a looker on my system at all, but at least I got a mostly solid 60 now with only some stuttering dropping it in the high 50s.

My bigger issues are with sound. In certain intervals the game sound will completely cut off. Just the game too, since I can still hear my friends on Discord but for a few seconds every now and then my game goes completely mute.

Overall however, compared to the beta I wouldn't say much improved. The game does feel a bit better now in terms of performance but not by a huge margin.

MaLDo

Ubisoft does not program any of its games to run at 60 fps. There will always be bottlenecks in their own engines that will cause stuttering if you want to play at 60 fps. They do not give a shit, basically.

And that's why I no longer buy Ubi games.

Ubi games with stuttering at 60 fps

Farcry 3
Farcry 4
Farcry Primal
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Watch Dogs
Watch Dogs 2
The Crew
Ghost Recon Wild Lands

Snowdrop engine by Massive is another different story. It's a work of gods.

Ubisoft does not program any of its games to run at 60 fps. There will always be bottlenecks in their own engines that will cause stuttering if you want to play at 60 fps. They do not give a shit, basically.

Farcry 3
Farcry 4
Farcry Primal
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed Unity
Watch Dogs
Watch Dogs 2
The Crew
Ghost Recon Wild Lands

My thoughts exactly. Not only the Division engine runs great but it looks insane, way above the games you mentioned.

Definitely true from my experience. This anvil engine is definitely built around 30fps. It will probably take significant patching to fix, just like every other game on your list.

Ashhong

Question, what makes the RX 480 perform better than the R9 Fury X for this game? Every other game I've seen, even a Fury beats the 480. I invested in the Fury over the 480 for this reason..

Question, what makes the RX 480 perform better than the R9 Fury X for this game? Every other game I've seen, even a Fury beats the 480. I invested in the Fury over the 480 for this reason..

geometry bottlenecks. as you increase resolution furys always pull ahead since shading and or bandwidth eventually become bigger bottlenecks

Ac30

TechPowerUp

1080_ultra.png
1440_ultra.png

GameGPU

r_1920_u.png
r_2560_u.png

Turf Effects are mostly some additional polys and NV h/w is basically idle in your typical console level workload when it comes to polygon pushing so I'd guess that it wouldn't affect the performance much on any modern NV (or AMD starting with GCN3) card.

Jesus, why is Fiji so poor? Hope to God they corrected that for Vega.

I was toggling settings and found that the screen tearing I was getting is tied to the god rays setting. When it's set to "enhanced" I get massive tearing, but when it's set to "on" the tearing goes away mostly. Still a few tears here and there.

I'm running at settings that are only taxing my 1070 at like 75% usage, and my CPU cores are all below like 70%. Still get stuttering, hitches and screen tearing with perfect frame times reported by RTSS. Really weird.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do you lock it to 30?

You haven't read the OP, have you? ;) You can do it externally or via the game's own framerate limiter.

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Those with an Nvidia GPU and a desire to run the game at a value equal to half their refresh rate (e.g. 30fps on a 60Hz monitor) may also want to try forcing half-refresh rate vsync via Nvidia Inspector as per this visual guide (click the small tool icon to open the driver profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.

<snip>

Graphics settings:

Display: Self-explanatory
Window mode: Windows; Borderless; Fullscreen
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Resolution scaling: 0.5 -> 2.0 in increments of 0.10
V-sync: Off; On; Adaptive
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Framerate limit: Off; 30; 40; 50; 60; 75; 90; 100; 120; 144
Extended FoV: 0% -> 100% in increments of 100%

Brakara

You haven't read the OP, have you? ;) You can do it externally or via the game's own framerate limiter.

I read it but stopped when I saw you had to download external applications (no way I'm doing that). I also missed the framerate limit option in-game because it was grayed out as I had vsync on. Which begs the question: why can't I have vsync on and a 30 fps limit? That's pretty standard on consoles.

Anyway, the game is MUCH smoother with the 30 limit, and I even run it on ultra (with very high texture quality) while I previously had everything on high with a choppy average of ~40 fps. So thanks! :)

I'm wondering if I need more RAM. I have 16GB of 2133DDR3 but I got a System Ram Low error which gave me a blue screen.
Now I play 4K but .60 resolution scaling and most settings at Ultra except shadows, vegetation quality and long range shadows to on/very high. I have a 1080 and a 4790k@4.2ghz.
I checked using MSI Afterburner and I could see my RAM reaching 10GB and vram hitting 8GB. My page file has not been altered.
Apart from this crash on this game I noticed it on another when running at 4k (though never with FH3). So I'm not sure what's up.

Apart from that it runs pretty well. It's installed on my SSD and there's only a little jerkiness when loading areas/streaming. Hardly noticeable. I play at 50fps and my frametime can hit 25ms but is usually sub 20. It's generally smooth. And it can look quite good.

JaseC

I read it but stopped when I saw you had to download external applications (no way I'm doing that). I also missed the framerate limit option in-game because it was grayed out as I had vsync on. Which begs the question: why can't I have vsync on and a 30 fps limit? That's pretty standard on consoles.

Ah, fair enough!

Anyway, the game is MUCH smoother with the 30 limit, and I even run it on ultra (with very high texture quality) while I previously had everything on high with a choppy average of ~40 fps. So thanks! :)

Well, it seems I didn't actually help, but, sure, I'll take the compliment. ;)

Diancecht

if someone with a 980ti can test this with new drivers i will be thier best friend

No difference, getting between 55-70 on medium-high settings. I wouldn't mind the fps if there wasn't a ton of hitching and frame skipping happening.

1080p res. 980ti, i76700k@4.4, 8gb ram, ssd.

cripterion

new NVIDIA Driver out with Wildlands optimizations apparently...378.78

no idea how much they improve performance (if at all)

They don't lol.
Only thing I noticed is in the benchmark my CPU was used @ 30% under previous drivers and they're now a little under 50%.

I am an inch close to locking this shit to 30 fps, cracking every setting to Ultra and play with a controller.
Honestly that is how the engine is built so probably the best experience right now.

That said let's wait for the first patch. I might put it down for a bit and wait for that, because at the times it does hold a steady 60fps it plays so much better.

They probably should have delayed the PC version a few weeks.

I can't get this game to start from uPlay (or anywhere). 980ti SLI with the latest drivers. Any suggestions?

edit: just to be clear it acts like it's starting up and then just seems to quit without any error, message, or anything...

edit 2: guess this is a known issue. Fantastic. Out $99 and can't play this POS game.

edit 3: fixed it. It wasn't running because I have hard drives striped with "Storage Spaces" and apparently this game doesn't like that. Had to copy the folder to another hard drive that wasn't part of the collection. Ugh.

Keihart

Is somebody playing on a gtx 1060? i need some advice to get it running at estable 30 fps at least.

I've been fiddling with it a lot and the stutter it's getting on my nerves.

my specs are:

I7 6700k
gtx 1060 3gb
16 gb of ram
and the game is installed on a ssd.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Farcry 3
Farcry 4
Farcry Primal
Assassin's Creed 3
Assassin's Creed Unity
Watch Dogs
Watch Dogs 2
The Crew
Ghost Recon Wild Lands

For Honor is the other exception.

Keihart

I want to thank to OP, i didn't knew about RivaTuner, it really seems to improve the smothness when playing at 30fps in this game. I'm super comfortable playing this game on 30fps with the DS4 now.

Arkanius

My 1080 Ti does not manage a constant 60 fps at 1440p on Ultra.
Ultra shadows take a giant hit on the framerate. If I play with Very High preset I get a constant 80-90 FPS.

I was expecting much more from this card on the game. Do we know for certain which cards are making the frames tank? About framepacing, it's fine so far despite everything.

Running on:

i7 6700K @ 4.4 Ghz
16 GB RAM 3200 Mhz
1080 Ti FE (Boosted to 1800 Mhz)

The patch eliminated the freezing on auto save, but I still get terrible stuttering or what feels like uneven frame times, even though RTSS is reporting perfect 16.6ms at locked 60.

I think this game just needs to be played at a 30fps lock. It would be the first game where I just give up and do that.

Anyone have thoughts on the new AA options? I hate adding sharpening with temporal aa, but if you don't it looks way too soft. SMAA with no sharpening looks better to me, but some foliage like swaying grass looks terrible. SMAA + fxaa is a tad better maybe.

shanafan

Maintaining around 54 FPS, with 144 hz refresh on and V sync turned off. Using settings generated by GeForce Experience. Plays fine though considering. Couple slowdowns when driving though.

i7-3770
16 GB of ram
GTX 1070
G SYNC monitor

Tinúviel

Just bought the game,i have;

4690K @4.4GHz
GTX 1070 OCd
16GB DDR3 2400MHz
Dell U2515H 1440p

At Ultra settings why GPU utilization is so poor?If it hits %95+ usage i can understand the low FPS but it's not fully using the GPU and it performs bad.

What is sweet spot settings for GTX 1070/1440p in terms of looks and performance?

dr_rus

Tinúviel;233529850 said:
Just bought the game,i have;

4690K @4.4GHz
GTX 1070 OCd
16GB DDR3 2400MHz
Dell U2515H 1440p

At Ultra settings why GPU utilization is so poor?If it hits %95+ usage i can understand the low FPS but it's not fully using the GPU and it performs bad.

What is sweet spot settings for GTX 1070/1440p in terms of looks and performance?

Your CPU being the limit at the settings you're playing at.

Tinúviel

Your CPU being the limit at the settings you're playing at.

Yes it isn't the current most powerful CPU out there but at 4.4GHz 4690K is pretty strong for gaming i think my issue is about game itself.

I don't know what happened but after some alt-tabbing GPU usage back to normal and i manage the get %99 GPU usage in benchmark and the result i got is on par with online result like TPU's.

My result. (GPU OCd)

e6fbcafebb800b1e30939e99f1e5e5cd.png

1440_ultra.png

dr_rus

Tinúviel;233537794 said:
I don't know what happened but after some alt-tabbing GPU usage back to normal and i manage the get %99 GPU usage in benchmark and the result i got is on par with online result like TPU's.

Something is interfering with the game then. Try exclusive / windowed fullscreen fisrt, then look for what may be running on the GPU as well (there's an option in NV's CPL Desktop menu) and try killing it off. Make sure that your driver settings are reset on defaults as well.

ISee

The newest update ruined performance for me and a friend, we wanted to play co op today and the game has terrible stutter and performance is ~20% lower in general.
Just redid the Benchmark and my average fps went from 70 average / 63 min / 80 max to 55 average / 50 min / 64 max.

Well done Ubisoft, awesome patch!

thegh0sts

Neo Member
mine is the same. doesnt matter if I use gsync or cap at 30 i get hitches. with 1080ti and 6700k

I've pretty much conceded that the game performance is absolute garbage because nothing i do seems to fix the problem. What's even worse is that it has existed since the game launched.

thegh0sts

Neo Member
I just discovered that RTSS 7.0.0 beta 25 has a frametime graph option so I turned that on and it showed the times where the game hitched and there was an associated spike in the frametime so I wonder what's the deal going with the frametimes and what can be done to fix it.

JaseC

fresh windows install fixes the hitches for me, but the game crashes after aboit 30 mims everytime now

Sounds like hardware instability (the game loves both CPU and GPU resources). When I had my 6800K running at 4.3GHz, my PC would periodically crash when playing The Witcher 3 or Just Cause 3 but nothing else. Even stress tests would pass with flying colours. Eventually, I dropped down to 4.2GHz and haven't had any issues since... but not before thinking I'd isolated the PSU as the culprit and buying a new one.

Top Bottom