• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Launches April 18 for PS4, Xbox One and Switch

Endless

0V3cXZJw

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Sidescrolls Onto PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch on April 18

DotEmu, developer and publisher specializing in modern releases of beloved retro games, and Lizardcube, are thrilled to announce that Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap will be available on April 18th for the PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch (and a few weeks after on PC).

Boasting beautiful, hand-drawn animations and a re-orchestrated soundtrack, the cult classic returns with a unique blend of exploration, action, and adventure. Play as Lizard-Man, Mouse-Man, Piranha-Man, Lion-Man, and Hawk-Man, and use their unique abilities to uncover the land’s deepest secrets. Switch in real-time between the original retro graphics and the visually stunning modern remake, and input your old Sega Master System passcode to unlock all of your old saves and progression – just how you left them in 1989.

Wonder Boy : The Dragon’s Trap will be available on April 18 for the PS4, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch

Stay tuned, a last surprise will be announced on March 22nd!

Super keen for this. Played the heck out of the early game as a kid but never got terribly far, so really looking forward to jumping in as an adult to get right into the game.
It'll be a great portable/TV game on Switch too!

Monster Land was one of my favourite games when I was a teen. My friend and I used to play Dragon's Trap on Sega Master System in his basement (more like me watching him play). Back then I didn't care for it...playing as a dragon? Why are the sprites so large on the screen?

Since then though I've learned to appreciate Dragon's Trap. And I've still never completed it, so I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Having said that, I'd still like a continuation of Monster Land. That would be a dream come true. Something like Monster Land:The Lost Levels.

If anyone here listening have decision capability... PLEASE, bring this game to the Vita!!!!! Where it should belong!!!!

And Monster Land, what an amazing game it was too! Another remake would be welcomed!

Tonyx

So it's confirmed it's not coming out for Wii U? Too bad.

It's a console that can still say something, it's too bad developers avoid it.

Guess I'll get it on PS4.

So it's confirmed it's not coming out for Wii U? Too bad.

It's a console that can still say something, it's too bad developers avoid it.

Guess I'll get it on PS4.

Wii U? Damn, why would anyone bother when even Nintendo is trying to put it down?

Seriously. I think it would sell better on Vita than Wii U.

wouwie

Great news. Should be a day one for me although i'm not familiar with the franchise and the older games. I love platform games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hooooo boy. Let's do this.

Been in contact with one of the heads of the studio. Outside beating the game on hard, apparently the achievements/trophies are quite easy to get.

Monster Land was one of my favourite games when I was a teen. My friend and I used to play Dragon's Trap on Sega Master System in his basement (more like me watching him play). Back then I didn't care for it...playing as a dragon? Why are the sprites so large on the screen?

Since then though I've learned to appreciate Dragon's Trap. And I've still never completed it, so I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Having said that, I'd still like a continuation of Monster Land. That would be a dream come true. Something like Monster Land:The Lost Levels.

I'm with you. Dragon's Trap is a very good game but monsterland was just better designed overall. An updated version with some more levels and maybe another set of gear or two would be amazing.

For now, people should buy this. The work they have done is very impressive to update the game without completely destroying the gameplay and artstyle. Or "ducktalerizing it" as that mistake is known.

I got Zelda for Wii U because my money is going towards other Very Important And Responsible Things, but man this is exactly the kind of game that makes me want a Switch. Much like how I loved having Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami, Fez etc etc. on my Vita, I'd love to have more indie (both smaller and bigger budget) games like this available both on TV and in my handbag.

I played this game when I was 12, as some random cartridge I got along with my Game Gear on the cheap, and I was put off by the weirdness and difficulty at the start of the game, but once it clicked I was absolutely glued to the game until I beat it. When I first saw gameplay footage of this remake pop up on the front page of Youtube for me, with the new artwork, I spent a good whole minute going "wait, is that... no. It can't be. But this looks kinda like that game I had on the Game Gear, but... no. But I think it actually is...? But really? REALLY? WHAT"

Can't wait to play it again, will probably do full playthroughs both with the new artstyle and original!

asker

Where did you get this information?

I've been following the development and am really hyped for it, but disappointed that it will be delayed for PC. Since even the Switch version seems to be released before it, it's likely not due to any technical reason. Is the publisher deliberately staggering the release hoping to get some of that sweet Rockstar double-dip action?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Where did you get this information?

I've been following the development and am really hyped for it, but disappointed that it will be delayed for PC. Since even the Switch version seems to be released before it, it's likely not due to any technical reason. Is the publisher deliberately staggering the release hoping to get some of that sweet Rockstar double-dip action?

They're delaying the release because they're a small studio that requires additional time to troubleshoot the PC version across different hardware configurations, there's no conspiracy here.

satire77

Oh yes, im going to buy this for my switch.
I played this game when i was a kid on my master system, and it was awesome.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I cannot wait. Soul Bubbles is one of my all-time faves (my LTTP is here) and this is from the same devs so I'm stoked.

It's from one of the same devs, and this game is an extremely accurate mechanical conversion of a game made by totally different people, so I wouldn't stress the Soul Bubbles connection too much. (You're right though, Soul Bubbles is a rad game and I wonder who owns it nowadays, it'd work nice on Switch.)

baconcow

I never did play the old Master System version. This game looks great, though, and I love the Retro/HD switch. Was the other popular one in the series Wonder Boy in Monster World?

Tonyx

Wii U? Damn, why would anyone bother when even Nintendo is trying to put it down?

Seriously. I think it would sell better on Vita than Wii U.

True.

But since the game had already been announced for Wii U it's likely they already have it working there or almost.

If they are close it could be a good idea to publish it there anyway. IMHO.

GLAMr

The original Wonder Boy was my favourite arcade game as a kid. I'd sink mountains of 20c coins into the cabinet when I was like 5 or 6. I was so fascinated by Wonder Boy III when my cousin got it for her SMS, buy it was beyond my noob kid skills.

I'm pretty excited to finally be able to play this game in a modern format. The art style is gorgeous.

maxcriden

Prey, Injustice 2, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia, Rime and MK8DX.

I think MK8DX is end of April.

It's from one of the same devs, and this game is an extremely accurate mechanical conversion of a game made by totally different people, so I wouldn't stress the Soul Bubbles connection too much. (You're right though, Soul Bubbles is a rad game and I wonder who owns it nowadays, it'd work nice on Switch.)

I hear ya, and thanks for the clarification - I think regardless the level of polish, craft and care in that game speaks well to that same developer's development philosophy. This remake seems to ooze charm and care at every turn.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Mekensleep itself.

I played the original as a kid and had completely forgotten about it up until the video Giantbomb put out a couple of weeks ago and it all came back to me. I'm pretty sure it was the first game I ever finished.

April 17th is a terrible date for me though, I might have to hold off for a month or so before picking it up.

enewtabie

MetalJesusRocks has a youtube video with the developers playing this. I watched it last night and I'm definitely going to get this for Switch now. The code for OG Master System is a neat idea.

liquidtmd

Banned
Holy fucking shit that soon?

A million percent in. It was the first ever game I remember completing and devouring by myself as an eight year old.

My daughter is now eight. Gonna get her on this as a rites of passage

JPS Kai

I always get the order of Wonder Boy/Monster Boy titles mixed up but this must be one of the ones I didn't play growing up.

It'll be good to review this with fresh eyes when the PS4 version comes in.

Svejk

Holy fucking shit that soon?

A million percent in. It was the first ever game I remember completing and devouring by myself as an eight year old.

My daughter is now eight. Gonna get her on this as a rites of passage

Holy shit... *Bro hug.. My daughter is eight as well (and a 6 year old son.) EXACTLY what I was thinking too. (although, this was the 2nd game I completed myself... first was Zillion)

Any word on Monster Boy release date? Should be soon as well... I would think.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
First on Master System, then TG-16, and now Nintendo Switch Entertainement System. I will have them all!!!!!

This is one of the few chiptune soundtracks on my phone (TG-16)

styl3s

Prob with LRG
Does LRG ever do second or third runs on games that do well? I didn't know this place even existed till a bunch of games i would of bought physically came and went and re sellers want way too much money. I get it's limited but c'mon. C'mon.

True.

But since the game had already been announced for Wii U it's likely they already have it working there or almost.

If they are close it could be a good idea to publish it there anyway. IMHO.

Yeah man the more platforms the better. Cancelling games sucks.

Top Bottom