• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Launches April 18 for PS4, Xbox One and Switch

Jazzem

So excited for this! Playing the TG-16 version on Wii VC made me a huge Wonder Boy fan :)

Changing between old and new visuals+music so seamlessly is amazing, I love how this can basically function as a widescreen exact port of the original like Christian Whitehead's Sonic conversions.

MetalJesusRocks has a youtube video with the developers playing this. I watched it last night and I'm definitely going to get this for Switch now. The code for OG Master System is a neat idea.

Huh never heard of this guy. Watching now, thanks for the link.

Looking forward to it, it's one of the few master system games that still hold up.
Will get it on PS4 over Switch due to trophies.

enewtabie

Huh never heard of this guy. Watching now, thanks for the link.

Should have put in a actual link. He's pretty good. Used to work for Sierra I think and has some nice videos at times. He got his hands on that rare US N64DD last year and is located in the Seattle area(so that helps)

Nice, I figured this would release somewhere much later in the year for some reason.

There are so many games releasing in march and april that I'm looking forward to its nuts.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Looking forward to it, it's one of the few master system games that still hold up.
Will get it on PS4 over Switch due to trophies.
I was thinking about this also.. but having 1080p console and 720p handheld is way too much to pass up. Plus you're more likely to be able to double dip on a PSN sale (or PS Plus) than an eShop sale. Just my thoughts.

Should have put in a actual link. He's pretty good. Used to work for Sierra I think and has some nice videos at times. He got his hands on that rare US N64DD last year and is located in the Seattle area(so that helps)

I had to stop watching it, too much hype lol. Holy crap it looks amazing and it's great to hear how much of a fan of the game the Dev is and how close he is sticking to it. Being able to switch the visuals or sounds on the fly is just...awesome.

Cannot wait to have this on my Switch.

The art for this game is so good. If they do a physical release with this as its boxart I would buy it in an instant:
WonderBoyTheDragonsTrap-Wallpaper-01.jpg
I mean, I'll buy it anyway but still.. I can dream.

The art for this game is so good. If they do a physical release with this as its boxart I would buy it in an instant:

I mean, I'll buy it anyway but still.. I can dream.

I am day one digital but if I ever see that for sale for Switch Physical I would so double dip just for that.
With a reversible cover mimicking a Master System case.

Just waiting to the pre-order option on xbox one. The child in me is telling me that this is bigger than Mass Effect: Andromeda... and somehow I agree with him (me? eh?)
Really, so happy of this happening

Edit: Nice price tag on PSN

maxcriden

Will be interesting to see how the Switch price compares. I think this might be priced slightly higher on switch and inline with things like Fast Racing RMX and Snipperclips

I'm guessing the non-PS Plus price will be the same across PS4/XB1/NSW, otherwise people will probably be up in arms. The £ price listed above is probably below the NA MSRP in numeric value, though.

jonno394

I'm guessing the non-PS Plus price will be the same across PS4/XB1/NSW, otherwise people will probably be up in arms. The £ price listed above is probably below the NA MSRP in numeric value, though.

I'm in the uk so i hope it's £15.99 on switch too.

Edit - seeing as Rime costs more on Switch then elsewhere i now think this definitely will too.

Mokujin

I like a lot the art, but I don't know if it fits to Wonder Boy... Hmmmm

But at that price seems like a good deal.

Opa-Pa

Damn, that's pretty soon! Game looks gorgeous and pretty fun.

I'm wondering if I should save it for when I own a Switch tho... Maybe a physical release on PS4 would convince to get it day one.

BKK

I don't see this being more expensive on Switch as it's unlikely to have a physical release on that platform.

Optical media costs a few cents, where as solid state media might cost a few dollars. Unless Nintendo drop their manufacturing fee to counteract that, then physical might occasionally be more expensive than on other platforms. Some publishers won't sell digital for less than physical RRP, which is unfortunate. However, for digital only titles (or at least for ones that only see a limited physical release), the price should be the same.

Anyway, this is the biggest game that's worth buying on Switch ... so I hope it is bought accordingly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Switch in real-time between the original retro graphics and the visually stunning modern remake

Now I'm interested.

PSN next month will be mainly this + Full Throttle for me.

JDH

Does LRG ever do second or third runs on games that do well? I didn't know this place even existed till a bunch of games i would of bought physically came and went and re sellers want way too much money. I get it's limited but c'mon. C'mon.

Nope, unfortunately not. eBay will be your only bet right now.

BKK

Day fucking 1 on Switch.

For a MEKA Dragon-sized dose of nostalgia, here's some 1989-1990 magazine coverage of the original Sega Master System game.

Electronic Gaming Monthly:

GamePro:

Game Player's:

Video Games & Computer Entertainment:

click to reveal part 1 & part 2 of VG&CE's WB III guide:

Thanks for the US perspective ... US reviewers were so beholden to publishers that they never reviewed a game badly ... infact ... they didn't even give scores for a while. UK reviewers were a lot more harsher at the time (the market was still flooded with 8-bit computer software). So it's maybe more impressive the reviews that it got in the UK at the time ...

CVG:
qRaguxH.jpg

Complete Guide to Consoles:
tv945ro.jpg

S The Sega Mag:
Dc6LiHY.jpg

hORevuH.jpg

4oytRFf.jpg

CYJKJad.jpg

Omg I'm so excited.

I CAN'T CONTAIN MYSELF!

Getting it on Switch day 1, I want the Xbox One ver too so I can get all the Achievements.

Hope they do a physical release one day, or some Amiibo!

AHHH EXCITED!

BKK

They personally want a physical release ... but I think that it's just logistically easier to do on PS4. So at least at first I would expect that to be the most likely format for a physical release. Maybe if it does amazing then they can do physical release for more formats.

BKK

Now it is FDG Entertainment's turn to announce a release date for Monster Boy!

I think it's better if they have a bit of space between them ... holiday 2017 would be fine ... they can take advantage of great publcity from WBIII

Will buy this game the same day I get a switch. Would so double dip if there is a physical release. Hoping this sell super well so some other games in the series get a similar treatment. The more wonderboy the better.

Now give me wonderboy in smash bros!

BKK

You guys are getting me psyched. Day one on switch.

I still need to buy horizon and yakuza. Too many damn games!

You can buy Horizon for years, and for a lot cheaper .... you really need to buy Yakuza whenever you can, that will actually go up in price (and it's an amazing game too).

I honestly hope Monster Boy releases a decent amount of time after this, they both deserve their own time in the spotlight.

I understand it is weird to be saying that statement in 2017 about FRICKING WONDER BOY GAMES lol. I'm just happy to have anything after all this time.

Very excited! :D

I watched some of it, don't want to spoil too much lol. As silly as that might sound for a remake of a game I've played a million times before - I don't want to see all the redesigns etc before I'm playing it for myself! :D

Good ol' Metal Jesus Rock asking about a collector/physical edition though lol, one of us! I really hope they can do one eventually.

Top Bottom