• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap Launches April 18 for PS4, Xbox One and Switch

essenn

Why is the Switch one £17.99 when the PS4 and XB1 ones are £15.99. (or less with dat discount)

Ah well, I want it on that portable screen, I guess I'll pay the £2 Switch tax.

Another game with confusing pricing on Switch, what is happening

bock

My guess (and I may completely be wrong) is that because of what happened to the £ <> Euro exchange rate this year, Nintendo of Europe wanted to compensate and raised the £ pricing while they had the chance.

15.99 GBP = 18.70 EUR (current GBP price for PS4/XB1)
17.09 GBP = 19.99 EUR (hypothetical GBP price with exact conversion as of today)
17.99 GBP = 21.04 EUR (current GBP price for Switch)

A few years ago when PS4/XB1 decided of their table of equivalence the GBP was higher and 15.99 GBP was probably equivalent or higher than 19.99 EUR.

Again this is just a guess there.

e_i

Huh, can't preorder this anywhere. It's not on Steam, PSN, or Eshop. Also, I guess it's not going up on the eshop until the 20th, and the 18th?

This might be another case in which the game is cheaper in mexico eShop than NA eShop... as long as it doesn't receive a physical release

This game looks so clean. Was there ever an update about the possible physical copy for Switch? I would really like one. The concept cover art they had in place looked really nice. Edit: Never mind, they said an update would come "soon" and attached a smiley face to their tweet!

My guess (and I may completely be wrong) is that because of what happened to the £ <> Euro exchange rate this year, Nintendo of Europe wanted to compensate and raised the £ pricing while they had the chance.

15.99 GBP = 18.70 EUR (current GBP price for PS4/XB1)
17.09 GBP = 19.99 EUR (hypothetical GBP price with exact conversion as of today)
17.99 GBP = 21.04 EUR (current GBP price for Switch)

A few years ago when PS4/XB1 decided of their table of equivalence the GBP was higher and 15.99 GBP was probably equivalent or higher than 19.99 EUR.

Again this is just a guess there.

Publishers are free to set their own prices on a country by country basis on the eshop

I'm guessing they're release details about the hopeful physical version a little later on, so we all buy it digitally right now then buy it again physical lol. I know I will.

Will love having this beauty on my shelf, but damn sure ain't gonna wait any longer than I have to to play it.

bock

Developer here,

I think you guys are mixing up Wonder Boy (out April 18) and Monster Boy (no known release date). The later made a tweet (that went viral) to gauge interest in a physical release.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was never planned as physical - we would of course love to do it eventually and are investigating that possibility for later but probably not soon. Hard to tell if it'll be actually doable on the Switch and at which cost at this point (the initial investment might be too high for us etc.). It is a mystery to everyone.

Developer here,

I think you guys are mixing up Wonder Boy (out April 18) and Monster Boy (no known release date). The later made a tweet (that went viral) to gauge interest in a physical release.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was never planned as physical - we would of course love to do it and are investigating that possibility for later but probably not soon. Hard to tell if it'll be actually doable on the Switch and at which cost at this point. It is a mystery to everyone.

thanks for the update!

I'm in day 1 for digital on Switch in that case. Can't wait!

Memory

Developer here,

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was never planned as physical - we would of course love to do it eventually and are investigating that possibility for later but probably not soon. Hard to tell if it'll be actually doable on the Switch and at which cost at this point (the initial investment might be too high for us etc.). It is a mystery to everyone.

Big risk as often internet demand doesn't convert into sales. Digital day one in any case, good luck with launch hope it turns out great.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Developer here,

I heard from dev diaries you're french? Congrats this remake seems remarkable.

Developer here,

Good luck with launch, i'll buy digital day one on switch . The game looks really cool!

rbenchley

Developer here,

Day 1 for both the PS4 and Switch if/when a physical release comes out. I have no problem paying more for physical copies of the game. I understand the economics might make it hard for smaller developers to do a physical release, but I don't buy digital only releases.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Maybe I'm spoiled by the iPad, I get all my Switch games on digital and plan to do it until I reach a SD card capacity limit.

Is there any connection between Wonder Boy III and Monster Boy? If there is, do they need to be played in order?

Sorry if this is stupid, I want both but I'm pretty out of the loop.

bock

Switch version will be about 850-900 mb. Most of the package are the animation/texture data and each platform uses slightly different compression technique but you can't really see any difference between them. Switch has rumble.

WordAssassin: Wonder Boy III is the original 1989 classic. Monster Boy will be a game inspired by the various classic Wonder Boy titles but I don't think/assume there will be an important chronology to follow as every game of the series were always playable on their own. So I am guessing the play order won't matter here and either game will work out. WB3 being an old game it is likely to feel more retro that MB will (for better or worse!).

SMD

I'm so torn, on the one hand I want this on Switch but I'd much rather have it physical if I was going with Nintendo, on the other hand I want it at launch and the PS4 price is tempting.

Either way I want to support the game because I love Wonder Boy III so much but the prospect of a physical Switch game is so appealing.

ggx2ac

Switch version will be about 850-900 mb. Most of the package are the animation/texture data and each platform uses slightly different compression technique but you can't really see any difference between them. Switch has rumble.

Awesome, it will barely fill up much space on my Switch when I get it.

Genocyber

Holding off until I can buy a physical version of the game.

I bought a physical version in 1989 for the Master System and I'm happy to wait a little longer to buy a physical version for the Switch.

maxcriden

I'm so torn, on the one hand I want this on Switch but I'd much rather have it physical if I was going with Nintendo, on the other hand I want it at launch and the PS4 price is tempting.

Either way I want to support the game because I love Wonder Boy III so much but the prospect of a physical Switch game is so appealing.

Holding off until I can buy a physical version of the game.

I bought a physical version in 1989 for the Master System and I'm happy to wait a little longer to buy a physical version for the Switch.

Just FWIW in case you didn't see, the developer posted above that a physical version is being investigated but if it comes it will probably not be soon. The indication of a possible physical release for Monster Boy was causing people to confuse that game with this game, so in case that happened for either of you I wanted to mention this.

NateDrake

WordAssassin: Wonder Boy III is the original 1989 classic. Monster Boy will be a game inspired by the various classic Wonder Boy titles but I don't think/assume there will be an important chronology to follow as every game of the series were always playable on their own. So I am guessing the play order won't matter here and either game will work out. WB3 being an old game it is likely to feel more retro that MB will (for better or worse!).

Seeing the game go gold announcement today reminded me I need to put in a review request.

The game is looking great and I'm looking forward to playing it on Switch.

The Giant

Banned
Switch price (in Aus at least) is cheaper than PSN without the PS+ discount, so it's a nice mid ground for me price range.

Can't wait to play it, i've been counting down the days :D

I noticed that as well. That's cool that switch is slightly cheaper than the others.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Never played a Wonder Boy game (unless Adventure Island for the NES counts) but this looks pretty amazing. Loving how seamless the switch is from retro to modern art. I do believe I will buy this.

SMD

Just FWIW in case you didn't see, the developer posted above that a physical version is being investigated but if it comes it will probably not be soon. The indication of a possible physical release for Monster Boy was causing people to confuse that game with this game, so in case that happened for either of you I wanted to mention this.

Yeah that's why I'm torn, with games like these you don't want everyone to hold back and hurt the developer. I'm sold on the game completely, it's perfect for me but if a physical version was a done deal I'd wait no question.

And I'm definitely interested in Monster Boy too.

Genocyber

I understand that a possible physical release of the game is a long way off however as it's been 28 years since the game was initially released on the Master System, I'm happy to wait longer for a physical version for the Switch.

I'm happy to support developers that release games that I want to play and are in a format that I want to purchase.

People who can wait for the possible physical release are stronger than I could ever be! XD

I WANT TO PLAY IT YESTERDAY!

So close now, the excitement is building. The Master System was so huge here in New Zealand, I know there will be many people here round my age feeling the same way!

Always nice to see a game's dev in it's threads :D

Day 1 Switch purchase for me, super hype now that I know I can play as Wonder girl too :3

Today I learned one of my favorite old school franchises, Adventure Island, was a licensed ripoff of another series called Wonder Boy. And now there's this Woner Boy sequel remake of which I now plan to buy. Cool.

Ooohhh ok, I thought Monster Boy was another port/remaster. Very cool! Thank you! Really looking forward to WBIII, I'm totally in love with the art style <3

Mbrill82

Looking good. I will buy pretty much any platformers. I love pixel art graphics and usually hate the results when they try and give a game a new modern art style, but in the case of this game that new art looks phenomenal. Another game that will be perfect on the Switch. I hope the Switch version doesn't have to be hindered too drastically in either frame rate or resolution.

Skeletos311

I think I'll be going from Zelda to this. April is looking pretty good on Switch with this, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Mario Kart 8.

"input your old Sega Master System passcode to unlock all of your old saves and progression – just how you left them in 1989."

Megaton.

liquidtmd

Banned
"input your old Sega Master System passcode to unlock all of your old saves and progression – just how you left them in 1989."

Megaton.

Which begs the question if they left the password that gives you everything and starts you as a Hu-man in the village.

I'm not posting the code but I'm pretty sure 90% of people who know the title will know what I'm talking about :)

If I was them I would have left it in but with some conditions - maybe a 'doesnt work unless you complete the game once' deal. Curious

I played Wonder Boy in Monster World all the way through back on the Wii virtual console, so I'm super excited for this one.

Looking forward to the Switch Version. Will be a Day 1 buy for me.

Thanks for making this beautiful game! :)

Top Bottom