• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R is the best selling Bomberman in Japan in the last 15 years

In last week's Media Create and Famitsu listings, Super Bomberman R ranged between 36,623 units sold and 39,609 units sold respectively. Which means that at launch alone, it's beaten the lifetime japanese sales of every other game in the series (traditional and spin off) over the last 15 years. Let's hope that tells Konami that maybe this franchise will be worth properly supporting after all. It is worth noting that Konami is open to reviving other old franchises based on how they see Bomberman perform.

bombermanr_sales_famitsu_graph.jpg

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire/status/839492523542343681

Roi

Wow those sales of all the other titles are abysmal. Now I understand why they didn't put to much effort in this title.

Even if 39k isn't huge on its own, this fact can only mean great things for Bomberman's future, and Nintendo were the ones to get this started, very likely when talks happened to bring Momotaro back.

As for when led to its development, was told that both Nintendo and Konami came together to help make it happen in the first place,

Hopefully Nintendo gets the keys for the next entry, and either gives it to ND Cube, Valhalla (who did Momotaro 3DS), or even Racjin (the Bomberman Land games). Any would be far better than Konami themselves, as sadly Super Bomberman R isn't that good it seems.

gondwana

namco could have farted out another half-baked ridge racer and made some coin with how horrible this launch lineup is

namco could have farted out another half-baked ridge racer and made some coin with how horrible this launch lineup is

Not having Ridge Racer at the launch of a new system still hurts. They make for amazing launch games. I played Ridge Racer 3D daily for months, having a blast with the 3DS while people were complaining about the software drought. Fast RMX is probably a fantastic launch racer, but I already have Neo on Wii U.

In the US this was one of four physical launch games I saw in stores.

Skylanders Imaginators Switch is in the Skylanders section.

Do Bonk next, then Adventure Island.

Red Entertainment still exists (and works with Nintendo on the new Fire Emblem games IIRC), and I think they co-created both Bonk and Adventure Island with Hudson, so they'd be fit to return on those. They do make their own games... once in a blue moon, they did Domino Rally/Go! Go! Minon on Wii.

ffvorax

Being one of the few titles available for sure helped.

Still waiting for my Bomberman Vita/PS4. (I know it will never happen... :( )

Do Bonk next, then Adventure Island.

I've always wanted a full 3D Bonk platformer. Other 2D mascots like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Rayman got one.

There was actually a WiiWare Adventure Island in 2009.

maxresdefault.jpg

WiiWare had a lot of new entries in classic series.

I wonder if this success found on Switch could result in Konami bringing the game to other platforms.

Or perhaps, *gasp*, more Bomberman games!

And Mystical Ninja - I feel this IP is perfect for Nintendo audience.

I think you misread what I said - Konami can keep Metal Gear and Silent Hill (also add in Yugioh to that), and Nintendo should grab all of Konami's other, lesser known series. That includes but is not limited to Goemon, but also the likes of Gradius, Twinbee, Sparkster, Contra, Hudson's library, among others. Also Castlevania of course.
It also would be great if Nintendo then revived all those wacky games from Konami's Famicom days that only cameo'd in stuff like Wai Wai World or Parodius, such as Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Yume Penguin Monogatari, Getsu Fuuma Den, Boku no Dracula-kun, Moai-kun, and so on.

Top Bottom