• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R is the best selling Bomberman in Japan in the last 15 years

I was gonna say "cause it was the only one?" and then I saw the chart, holy shit I had no idea they'd made so many Bomberman games in the last 15 years? For some reason I thought that the franchise died with that awful mistake of a reboot.

This means Bomberman for Super Smash Bros 4 Switch, right?

I've said it before but I'm absolutely convinced the only reason this game exists is because Bomberman must've gotten a lot of votes in the Smash poll which is why Nintendo went to Konami and asked them to make a new entry.

I think you misread what I said - Konami can keep Metal Gear and Silent Hill (also add in Yugioh to that), and Nintendo should grab all of Konami's other, lesser known series. That includes but is not limited to Goemon, but also the likes of Gradius, Twinbee, Sparkster, Contra, Hudson's library, among others. Also Castlevania of course.
It also would be great if Nintendo then revived all those wacky games from Konami's Famicom days that only cameo'd in stuff like Wai Wai World or Parodius, such as Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Yume Penguin Monogatari, Getsu Fuuma Den, Boku no Dracula-kun, Moai-kun, and so on.

We did get this on 3DS:

202493_front.jpg

Which from a quick read is semi-related. :p

We did get this on 3DS:
Which from a quick read is semi-related. :p

The multiplayer Castlevania, Harmony of Despair, had a DLC level based on Getsu Fuuma Den and the titular character playable as DLC as well. And there is a metric ton of other self-referential shit going on across the Castlevania series.
Portrait of Ruin remixed the theme of one of Konami's old MSX puzzle titles, King's Valley 2 (which also was composed by Michiru Yamane), and across the last few 2D Castlevania games, there was secret bonus items you could get that referenced various of these old series.

I've said it before but I'm absolutely convinced the only reason this game exists is because Bomberman must've gotten a lot of votes in the Smash poll which is why Nintendo went to Konami and asked them to make a new entry.

That would be cool, but I somehow doubt it. I feel like if that was the case, we would have Bomberman series amiibos of the various characters. I also think that Snake probably would have gotten more Smash poll votes, given the fact he was cut from Brawl and is an extremely popular character.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Well being a launch title in a pretty anemic launch lineup helped a lot.

Of course it helped a lot - doesnt make it less impressive. The IP was dead for years and its not like Disgaea sold bonkers on Switch.

People dont buy games if they arent interested in them just because there isnt much elsse to play...they could invest that money on 3DS, PS4, mobile games etc. instead.

Phoenixus

Would make sense, they likely got a lot of valuable data from that poll even outside of Smash. I wish someone could leak it, I'd love to see the full list (unrealistic characters and all).

ramparter

Banned
I think you misread what I said - Konami can keep Metal Gear and Silent Hill (also add in Yugioh to that), and Nintendo should grab all of Konami's other, lesser known series. That includes but is not limited to Goemon, but also the likes of Gradius, Twinbee, Sparkster, Contra, Hudson's library, among others. Also Castlevania of course.
It also would be great if Nintendo then revived all those wacky games from Konami's Famicom days that only cameo'd in stuff like Wai Wai World or Parodius, such as Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa, Yume Penguin Monogatari, Getsu Fuuma Den, Boku no Dracula-kun, Moai-kun, and so on.
Yeah sorry I thought I was quoting the Bloody Roar poster you quoted. Totally agree with you, in general if an ip is dying it's better to be bought from someone that cares more. Then again Nintendo also has forgotten many IPs too :(

Yeah sorry I thought I was quoting the Bloody Roar poster you quoted. Totally agree with you, in general if an ip is dying it's better to be bought from someone that cares more. Then again Nintendo also has forgotten many IPs too :(

But at the very least, they still are doing something with most of those IPs, even if it's just re-releasing emulated versions on their various systems' VC.

blitz64

Yet when I play bomberman R online, it feels like a ghost town.

If feels like there are 10 people online or less.

They first needs to patch Bomberman fix the lag, frame rate, and difficulty spikes.

After that they should look at bringing YuGi-OH Duels and a Castlevania Souls game to Switch.

Shiggy

Wonder if this can motivate Konami to revive other game series with outsourced low budget sequels sold at high prices.

Shiggy

Someone sounds bitter. :p

Nah, you're thinking too emotionally. Just funny that the game turned out the way I thought it would (not good) and that it's been made by an inexperienced team (as I also said). Kinda funny when some fanboys tried arguing that it's Bomberman at its best and being made by the original team (even after release), which both didn't turn out quite right lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People dont buy games if they arent interested in them just because there isnt much elsse to play...they could invest that money on 3DS, PS4, mobile games etc. instead.

I disagree. I think some people buy games at a system launch that they normally would ignore, simply because they want games for their new system.

The person that's itching to try the marketed tabletop local multiplayer has next to no other game options, so they go with what's available. It was definitely a window of opportunity for Bomberman, and it did well. Had Mario Kart been at the launch it probably would've been a different story.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I disagree. I think some people buy games at a system launch that they normally would ignore, simply because they want games for their new system.

The person that's itching to try the marketed tabletop local multiplayer has next to no other game options, so they go with what's available. It was definitely a window of opportunity for Bomberman, and it did well. Had Mario Kart been at the launch it probably would've been a different story.

That makes zero sense. Why will gamer want to choose to buy a game for their new system rather than buy game which they want to play? Especially when we have new games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier: Automata

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

No - would they buy something else if there was a game on Switch that offers the same Bomberman experience but was better than SBR ? Sure...but acting as if it only sells because there is nothing else doesnt make sense, considering how many launch bombas we had.

People buy Bomberman on Switch because the wanna play Bomberman on Switch. Whenever a 3rdParty title performs well on a Nintendo system we always get the excuses, why the title had no other chance but to sell well because of reasons...

So yeah if Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon etc. had been there at launch - Zelda and other games likely also would have sold less. But you can make the point for every other game release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That makes zero sense. Why will gamer want to choose to buy a game for their new system rather than buy game which they want to play? Especially when we have new games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier: Automata

Because people want games for their new device. Especially ones that take advantage of a system's feature.

Also, not everyone owns a PS4

Sure...but acting as if it only sells because there is nothing else doesnt make sense, considering how many launch bombas we had.

I'm not saying the only reason it sold was because there was a lack of competition. I'm saying it benefitted from it.

Still decent numbers when compared to previous Bomberman games.

That would be cool, but I somehow doubt it. I feel like if that was the case, we would have Bomberman series amiibos of the various characters. I also think that Snake probably would have gotten more Smash poll votes, given the fact he was cut from Brawl and is an extremely popular character.

Keep in mind I know this is super theoretical with next to no evidence, but here's how I see it going down:

Smash Poll happened, Bomberman got a bunch of votes. Snake probably got more but MGS on Nintendo was probably just not happening and Snake, much as I love him, doesn't have that "classic" character flair to him (to be fair, neither does Bayonetta) that someone like Bomberman does, he feels super, super modern and current despite Metal Gear originating on NES. But Bomberman fits the Smash family perfectly. He's had a long history on Nintendo consoles, he's an iconic classic character akin to Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man, etc.

Nintendo and Sakurai probably thought "you know, Bomberman is perfect and unique and would fit but there hasn't been a Bomberman game on Nintendo since N64" so they went to Konami and went "Hey, we're launching this new system, we'd love to put Bomberman in the next Smash version, would you get the Hudson guys back together and make a classic Bomberman game for the launch? It'll have low competition and it'll be a cross promotion for Smash so it'll boost for both of us." and then they did it and here we are.

As for your amiibo comment, I have two counterpoints: 1) The ONLY third-party amiibo so far has been Shovel Knight due to a special agreement with Nintendo for Co-Op. An entire line of amiibo based purely on a third party IP is, as of yet, unheard of. With how completely shit Nintendo is with amiibo stock levels, I sincerely doubt they'd gamble an entire line on a property that nobody in America has heard of in lord knows how many years when they can't even get Animal Crossing amiibo to sell or keep Zelda amiibo on shelves. 2) Nintendo is HUGELY secretive with their plans. If they made a Bomberman amiibo, it'd probably just be a Smash amiibo, they wouldn't use a generic Bomberman Series amiibo for the Smash one (just as I feel that if they ever put Shovel Knight in Smash, he'd get a new, Smash Series amiibo). So obviously they aren't gonna show their hand at this early stage, and also consider that we didn't even know what Nintendo's own Zelda amiibo did in Breath of the Wild until AFTER the game had come out and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the functionality still hasn't actually been officially confirmed by Nintendo yet.

So, I know I could be completely wrong, and there's nothing but conjecture to go off here, but it sure smells to me like Nintendo going to Konami and asking them to get Hudson back together to make a Bomberman game came out of nowhere, but a logical prompting of it could be that Bomberman is a classic, iconic character that would fit into Smash perfectly and he may have gotten a ton of votes in the Smash Poll (but we'll never know) that would have prompted cross-promotion.

Would make sense, they likely got a lot of valuable data from that poll even outside of Smash. I wish someone could leak it, I'd love to see the full list (unrealistic characters and all).

I'd love to know just how many votes Goku got hahahahaha

Shiggy

This is exactly the case. That's why we often see terrible games perform extremely well at launch, be it Red Steel on Wii or Knack on PS4.

With Bomberman we even had a lot of users on here just buying it and then being surprised that the game isn't very polished (which wasn't that difficult to see).

blackjaw

Ugh I played this over the weekend and it was....bad....

Controls just weren't tight and I never felt like I was really going where I wanted. Bomberman is kind of a twitch game so when you push the control and it takes a sec to move that's not fun.

Glad it sold decent but they need to patch it or just make a sequel that doesn't feel rushed

Smash Poll happened, Bomberman got a bunch of votes. Snake probably got more but MGS on Nintendo was probably just not happening and Snake, much as I love him, doesn't have that "classic" character flair to him (to be fair, neither does Bayonetta) that someone like Bomberman does, he feels super, super modern and current despite Metal Gear originating on NES. But Bomberman fits the Smash family perfectly. He's had a long history on Nintendo consoles, he's an iconic classic character akin to Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man, etc.

If you look at the Smash 4 newcomer list, you will actually notice that the vast majority of the new additions are characters from games past the mid-2000s, or that received revivals in recent years.
The only exceptions to this are the third party guests (though other than Mega Man, all of the guests are current characters as well) and Duck Hunt, who is the obligatory retro hardware-based character.

I've come to the conclusion that safe Sakurai's single hardware character per game, we'll be pretty much done with "classic" characters unless they have a role in a more recent game (e.g. Dixie would've qualified, though I think her shot is gone already) and/or are veterans that had been cut.

1) The ONLY third-party amiibo so far has been Shovel Knight due to a special agreement with Nintendo for Co-Op. An entire line of amiibo based purely on a third party IP is, as of yet, unheard of.

Oh really?

Keep in mind I know this is super theoretical with next to no evidence, but here's how I see it going down:

Nintendo and Sakurai probably thought "you know, Bomberman is perfect and unique and would fit but there hasn't been a Bomberman game on Nintendo since N64" so they went to Konami and went "Hey, we're launching this new system, we'd love to put Bomberman in the next Smash version, would you get the Hudson guys back together and make a classic Bomberman game for the launch? It'll have low competition and it'll be a cross promotion for Smash so it'll boost for both of us." and then they did it and here we are.

As for your amiibo comment, I have two counterpoints: 1) The ONLY third-party amiibo so far has been Shovel Knight due to a special agreement with Nintendo for Co-Op. An entire line of amiibo based purely on a third party IP is, as of yet, unheard of. With how completely shit Nintendo is with amiibo stock levels, I sincerely doubt they'd gamble an entire line on a property that nobody in America has heard of in lord knows how many years when they can't even get Animal Crossing amiibo to sell or keep Zelda amiibo on shelves. 2) Nintendo is HUGELY secretive with their plans. If they made a Bomberman amiibo, it'd probably just be a Smash amiibo, they wouldn't use a generic Bomberman Series amiibo for the Smash one (just as I feel that if they ever put Shovel Knight in Smash, he'd get a new, Smash Series amiibo). So obviously they aren't gonna show their hand at this early stage, and also consider that we didn't even know what Nintendo's own Zelda amiibo did in Breath of the Wild until AFTER the game had come out and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the functionality still hasn't actually been officially confirmed by Nintendo yet.

So, I know I could be completely wrong, and there's nothing but conjecture to go off here, but it sure smells to me like Nintendo going to Konami and asking them to get Hudson back together to make a Bomberman game came out of nowhere, but a logical prompting of it could be that Bomberman is a classic, iconic character that would fit into Smash perfectly and he may have gotten a ton of votes in the Smash Poll (but we'll never know) that would have prompted cross-promotion.

I'd love to know just how many votes Goku got hahahahaha

We've had two full Bomberman games on the Gamecube, and a bunch of games for the DS and a couple for the Wii.

Also I feel there is no "etc". Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man, Bomberman. He is the 4th character that fits in best!

Ugh I played this over the weekend and it was....bad....

Controls just weren't tight and I never felt like I was really going where I wanted. Bomberman is kind of a twitch game so when you push the control and it takes a sec to move that's not fun.

Glad it sold decent but they need to patch it or just make a sequel that doesn't feel rushed

They've announced a patch for controls. I'll likely buy it if that works out

EmiPrime

This is exactly the case. That's why we often see terrible games perform extremely well at launch, be it Red Steel on Wii or Knack on PS4.

With Bomberman we even had a lot of users on here just buying it and then being surprised that the game isn't very polished (which wasn't that difficult to see).

All the videos from preview events with people struggling to turn corners (pretty bad in a grid based game!) really should have tipped them off. Some users here were in serious denial.

Hopefully Konami will release another Bomberman game this generation, this time with good responsive controls, 60fps, a camera that isn't all over the shop and an unlock system that isn't like pulling teeth.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Because people want games for their new device. Especially ones that take advantage of a system's feature.

Also, not everyone owns a PS4

I'm not saying the only reason it sold was because there was a lack of competition. I'm saying it benefitted from it.

Still decent numbers when compared to previous Bomberman games.

I am sure most Switch owners has got at least one other platforms too. If not a Ps4, then a Xbox or a PC.

If you look at the Smash 4 newcomer list, you will actually notice that the vast majority of the new additions are characters from games past the mid-2000s, or that received revivals in recent years.
The only exceptions to this are the third party guests (though other than Mega Man, all of the guests are current characters as well) and Duck Hunt, who is the obligatory retro hardware-based character.

I've come to the conclusion that safe Sakurai's single hardware character per game, we'll be pretty much done with "classic" characters unless they have a role in a more recent game (e.g. Dixie would've qualified, though I think her shot is gone already) and/or are veterans that had been cut.

As for your amiibo comment, I have two counterpoints:

Oh really?
Oh holy shiiiiiit!!! O: O: O:

We've had two full Bomberman games on the Gamecube, and a bunch of games for the DS and a couple for the Wii.

Also I feel there is no "etc". Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man, Bomberman. He is the 4th character that fits in best!
You know what, I should have looked it up before saying that because somehow the only Bomberman game past Bomberman 64/Hero that I know of is the bastardized reboot. If anything though I guess that just supports that Bomberman has a pretty solid home on Nintendo systems and would fit in well with the rest of the cast?

Revival of classic Konami IPs? You'll get Gradius and like it. Bomberman sequel? Lets see how many micro transactions and one time use consumables we can stuff into the next one. #fuckonami

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Revival of classic Konami IPs? You'll get Gradius and like it. Bomberman sequel? Lets see how many micro transactions and one time use consumables we can stuff into the next one. #fuckonami
I mean, can you honestly look at those numbers and blame them? If I understand correctly those are lifetime sales in Japan....

Oh holy shiiiiiit!!! O: O: O:

I'm not sure if you genuinely didn't know or are being facetious.

Either way, I'm not opposed to Bomberman in Smash at all, in fact I think that out of all the 3rd parties, Konami is the most deserving of getting a shitload of guests in Smash (Bomberman, Simon Belmont and Snake at the very least) since they produced so many absolutely classic series, along with the Hudson properties they bought.

I'm just saying that you probably should temper your hope and hype a bit, especially considering that Konami has a veteran (that also happens to be a massively popular character of a multi million dollar franchise).

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

I thought I was the only one wearing the tin foil hat on that theory.

Nosgotham

I've always wanted a full 3D Bonk platformer. Other 2D mascots like Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Rayman got one.

There was actually a WiiWare Adventure Island in 2009.

maxresdefault.jpg

WiiWare had a lot of new entries in classic series.

Yup blaster master , castlevania, alien crush

Wiiware was awesome

Top Bottom