• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Next COD is Indeed Called COD: WWII

arcticice

Eurogamer just posted this article, claiming that their sources have told them that the new COD is indeed called COD: WWII and as the name suggests, takes place during second World War

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-27-this-years-call-of-duty-is-set-in-ww2

"Developed by Sledgehammer Games, the studio behind 2014's COD: Advanced Warfare, this new COD will be the first to venture back to the series' World War roots since 2008's World at War.

Images published on YouTube channel The Family Video Gamers last weekend showed logos and box art for "Call of Duty: WW2". Eurogamer has since verified this does indeed relate to this year's game."

Cartho

I thought it was a placeholder. What a lazy title.

Glad it's going back to WW2 though!

Can't wait to hear the ping of an M1 Garland emptying, the throaty roar of an MG42 and the tinny rattle of MP40s.

WillyFive

To all of you old geezers complaining about too many WW2 games, this will be the first time most Call of Duty players would have seen a game set in WW2.

I wonder how the timeline of this worked considering BF1s success.
It's hard to imagine they switched gears in development to jump on the historical shooter train.

Info between competing companies within the same industry travels around even before they are officially announced to the public.

Podge293

Is it just me or is Eurogamer these days often like this, just confirming things, but not adding anything new to the table?

Isn't it better to be confirming stuff than making stuff up?

But where's the source?

Do any journalists of any type give up sources?

On topic tho, I'm glad. Haven't been a fan of the modern stuff. I just hope they keep it as close to realistic as possible. Not an alternate time WW2 where everyone has lasers or some shit

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The fuck? Why? Isnt this what everyone wanted.

no. sure a lot of people want it to go back to WW but not everyone. I was sick and tired of WW games back when World at War came out and I still am. I want more modern/futuristic games. If they are gonna go into the past there are plenty other wars they can focus on other than WW.

-hadouken

Pleasing to have confirmation. It's about time they started creating targeted COD products for the two different markets that buy their games. Attempting to shoehorn classic features into future games was failing. For those unhappy, skip a year and you'll get what you want.

Edit - feel sorry for the team making Battalion 1944 - their lunch is going to be eaten.

Yeah. that's what i'm wondering. dont like futuristic setting - don't like World War. What do people want then?
"People" if a perfect world we would all be synchronized but not in this one. The future stuff was great to me rather they kept going further or come up with something completely new than go backwards again

gdt

It's crazy how we are going back to WWII lol. Maybe younger or more casual gamers don't realize the fucking exhaustion of ww2 games we had. That's like all we got for a looooong time.

Yessss. So happy we're getting a WWII game again. Got more 'modern' shooters back to back then we ever did World war games. Really excited for the campaign. Also interested what this means for the mp, without the wallrunning and boost jumping.

Time to rewatch Band of Brothers.

tkscz

Ah, gen 6 first person shooters. Nothing but WWII as far as the eye can see. At this point I don't mind going back. Hell, maybe even might pick this one up because of it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's crazy how we are going back to WWII lol. Maybe younger or more casual gamers don't realize the fucking exhaustion of ww2 games we had. That's like all we got for a looooong time.

Yeah I remember when it was only WW. it has been about 8 and a half years since world at war and i'm still not ready to go back to that setting.

Lucifon

I thought it was a placeholder. What a lazy title.

Glad it's going back to WW2 though!

Can't wait to hear the ping of an M1 Garland emptying, the throaty roar of an MG42 and the tinny rattle of MP40s.

They REALLY want people to know old CoD is back.

nOoblet16

First COD I'll skip in years. Just not interested in WW2, I've seen everything there is to see when it comes to WW2 games. The exhaustion I had with WW2 was so severe that even after 8 years or so I don't want to go back.
I do hope there's an Infinite Warfare 2 and the next Black Ops goes back in timeline a bit to the Cold War.

We've had a grand total of one Cold War COD game.

It does sound like a lazy title but I imagine it was because they wanted to make it incredibly clear that the series had gone back to this 'boots on the ground' gameplay that people keep asking for.

Many casual consumers, including those of the franchise pick up games on a whim, based on small facets like boxart design and title of the game. So with this, they can pull people in without them having to investigate the title to understand what it offers.

For the rest of us, I don't think many are likely to be put off because the title is lazy... I mean, the rest of the Call of Duty games use generic titles like 'Modern Warfare, Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare, and Black Ops' and those haven't put us off.

The fuck? Why? Isnt this what everyone wanted.

In my case, this is what I've wanted until BF1 hit. I got tired of it extremely quickly, to the point where I regret buying the game.

But then again, I'm tired of shooters in general, so I guess I might not represent the average Call of Duty fan.

Is it just me or is Eurogamer these days often like this, just confirming things, but not adding anything new to the table?

Well, they added that the game takes place during WWII, so there's that.

On a more serious note, I am totally looking forward to this game. Market Garden, Battle of the Buldge and of course D-Day in 2017-style graphics? Into my veins!

I probably still won't be interested because now COD has way more problems than the scifi bullshit they've been crowding the games with the last bunch of years but it's definitely something I'll keep an eye on now.

Top Bottom