• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genyo Takeda is retiring from Nintendo

Zalman

Genyo Takeda (Representative Director and Technology Fellow) is retiring from Nintendo. He will be replaced by Ko Shiota (current position: Executive Officer and General Manager of Platform Technology Development Division).

Takeda has been with the company since 1972. He is mostly known for his contribution to hardware, but he's also known for several games, being the creator of Punch-Out.

He's been with the company for 45 years. End of an era.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170427_5e.pdf

miyamoto-takeda-iwata.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Among many things, I know him as the father of Startropics 1 and 2

It must have been an odd experience to work on a big Nintendo series like that, and it wasn't even released in your country.

The father of Punch-Out!!.....I wish him well.

Among many things, I know him as the father of Startropics.

It must have been an odd experience to work on a big Nintendo game like that, and it wasn't even released in your country. The sequel as well.

It's definitely odd, but the games were created specifically for the US.

Well, it's not like he was relevant with Switch considering they shopped for an off the shelves design.

And considering how of a disaster Wii U's hardware conception was, I'd say the guy lost relevance.

antonz

End of an Era. He and his team were masterful at Tech in how they setout to use it. It didn't always line up with expectations from what gamers wanted but there is no denying they could design great machines within the parameters they set out for.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
takedag9lo3.png

Thank you, Mr. Takeda.

Also, Zalman, you might want to in the OP mention the new role of Ko Shiota.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Big hardware contributions: NES battery save for Zelda 1, N64 analogue stick, and choosing to prioritise innovation over graphics on Wii. Smart dude!

skypunch

Banned
one of the men responsible for transaction of nintendo to video game maker company

Oh right. Well, he seems more involved with Nintendo stuff a bit before my time, so while it's cool he contributed a lot, I don't feel sad to see him go.

He played a big role in the development of the Wii, so yeah, he did some impressive work back in the day.

I wouldnt call Wii conception impressive. Strictly speaking about hardware conception here, which was the guy's job. He's also responsible for the Wii U hardware conception.

skypunch

Banned
I think this is good news. They definitely need new blood on that particular front.

I've been thinking the same. It's weird to see 60-70 year olds in charge of designing hardware for the modern market. Perhaps that comes off as age discrimination, but younger talent would be nice to see.

-shadow-

Mixed feelings about the guy in terms of hardware, the Wii and WiiU really set Nintendo back a whole bunch of years. But still he did amazing work in regards to other hardware like the analoge stick. So both happy and sad to see him go.

But enjoy the retirement mate! 🍻

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, that sucks to hear.

Takeda is one of those people who isn't in the spotlight like Miyamoto, Iwata and Aonuma, but he's an OG and has contributed greatly to Nintendo's history.

His retirement, although sad, is well earned and deserved.

He really is one of the unsung heroes of modern video games. He did some amazingly crazy things back then. Hope he has a good life

sfried

I read that as General Takeda and it took me a bit of time to process.

Shingen The Ruler of Hardware.

The person who is taking Takeda's role is Ko Shiota, and according to this, he was the lead designer of the Wii U.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Nick...4/Iwata_isnt_Nintendos_problem_Its_Shiota.php

So let's hope he allows new designers such as Takahashi to do whatever they want.

Oh boy...

I'm hoping Koizumi will still be the general producer behind Nintendo's next hardware.

Top Bottom