• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genyo Takeda is retiring from Nintendo

daTRUballin

He's been there since 1972??? That was way before Nintendo was even involved in video games. Heck, that was even before the game industry was even a thing in general! Crazy.

The person who is taking Takeda's role is Ko Shiota, and according to this, he was the lead designer of the Wii U.

So let's hope he allows new designers such as Takahashi to do whatever they want.

Oh boy...

Shiota had been the head of hardware since Iwata's death to into the Switch era and he wasn't even in charge of that design. He probably knows how to deal with how the new generation of Nintendo engineers handle hardware.

SalvaPot

The person who is taking Takeda's role is Ko Shiota, and according to this, he was the true father of the Wii U.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Nick...4/Iwata_isnt_Nintendos_problem_Its_Shiota.php

Let's hope he just allows young staff such as Koizumi and Takahashi to do whatever they want.

He also was the lead on the Wii.

Come on now.

Edit: Director, but still. He has been given two shots and one made enough money to be able to brace the second, let's not pretend the guy is guying to burn Nintendo down.

SalvaPot

A quick list of Genyo Takeda's work on Nintendo. (What I could find on wikis, I am no expert)

-General Manager of R&D3.
-Technical hardware design and development software for both the arcade systems and the later home consoles, the Famicom and the NES.
-He is considered Nintendo's "first video game designer", having worked on EVR Race, Nintendo's first video game.
-Creator of Punch-Out!!
-Director and Writer of StarTropics.
-Creator (He and his team) for Battery Back-Up memory first used in the Legend of Zelda.
-Credited for the Analog controller for the N64.
-One of the lead developers on Wii.

-About the Wii: ”If [Nintendo] had followed existing roadmaps we would have aimed to make [the Wii] faster and flashier. We'd have tried to improve the speed at which it displays stunning graphics. But we could not help but ask, ‘How big an impact would that really have on our customers?' In development, we came to realize the sheer inefficiency of this path when we compared the hardships and costs of development against the new experiences customers might have."

meppi

Damn that's a long time. It was probably time to move on with his life though, didn't he design the Wii U? It was definitely time.

ejOZ3sW.gif

Freddo

Man, Punch-Out is still the most fun boxing game I've ever played. Sure, I haven't played that many, but it's still impressive.

Never played StarTropics, but I guess I should give it a go at some point since I have the game now thanks to NES Classic Mini.

And wow, the analogue controller for the N64, which Sony quickly copied and every console manufacturer been using since.

Hope he enjoys retirement. He has accomplished amazing things with Nintendo.

I guess we will be getting more of these in the coming years. While it's nice to see the young talent at Nintendo it's definitely an end of an era.

Cygnus X-1

Wow, incredible. I never thought this day would arrive.

Thanks Mr. Takeda, for everything you did in the past 45 years!

The Giant

Banned
End of an era. Enjoy your retirement.

Expect more retirements within the next 10 years. Miyamoto's retirement will be a sad day in the industry.

End of an era for sure. He was never as big a name as Miyamoto, but he was a really key figure at Nintendo for a long time. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Azure J

The guy behind StarTropics always and forever for me. That was my second game ever and I still wouldn't have it any other way. His contributions to Nintendo's consoles and hardware are immense.

Thanks for your contributions, my good man. Punch-Out!! is a fantastic series.

I'm pretty happy to see a lot of the old guard at Nintendo begin to step down to make way for a new generation of designers/producers.

Ridley327

End of an era. Takeda's credentials are going to cast a long shadow upon anyone that follows in his footsteps to live up to half of the things he helped to innovate for hardware, to say nothing of his impressive credits as a software developer,

Whoa, he's earned his retirement, what with his contributions to the industry. I would sometimes read his name in video game mags back in the 90s, although not in the same level as Miyamoto or Yokoi.

He is probably only the second prominent person that I know from Nintendo (after Yamauchi) to actually retire. It still surprises me how loyal senior Nintendo employees are. It's really going to be a sad day when Miyamoto will also announce his retirement.

Top Bottom