• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genyo Takeda is retiring from Nintendo

Thanks for giving us this awesome game.
PunchOut-GlassJoe4.gif

Indeed. One if my favorite games growing up. Still plays so well

Peltz

Genyo Takeda is a legend. I'm glad for him. Congrats on the retirement and thanks for all the awesome memories!

Banned
Wow. End of an era. Now it's time for the powerhouse Nintendo consoles to return. Scorpio killer incoming. /s

Reki

This made me somewhat sad, we only "know" a bunch of the key workers at Nintendo and almost all of them are at an age in which they could retire or consider it. Anyways, enjoy the retirement and thank you for everything!

I hope we get to know the new faces better. They did a great job with Koizumi and co. in the recent presentations, so that's good.

A quick list of Genyo Takeda's work on Nintendo. (What I could find on wikis, I am no expert)

-General Manager of R&D3.
-Technical hardware design and development software for both the arcade systems and the later home consoles, the Famicom and the NES.
-He is considered Nintendo's "first video game designer", having worked on EVR Race, Nintendo's first video game.
-Creator of Punch-Out!!
-Director and Writer of StarTropics.
-Creator (He and his team) for Battery Back-Up memory first used in the Legend of Zelda.
-Credited for the Analog controller for the N64.
-One of the lead developers on Wii.

-About the Wii: “If [Nintendo] had followed existing roadmaps we would have aimed to make [the Wii] faster and flashier. We’d have tried to improve the speed at which it displays stunning graphics. But we could not help but ask, ‘How big an impact would that really have on our customers?’ In development, we came to realize the sheer inefficiency of this path when we compared the hardships and costs of development against the new experiences customers might have.”

Thanks for looking that up! Really great set of accomplishments he has had at Nintendo. Wish him the best with his retirement!

GCX

A living legend with a huge legacy both in hardware and software.

Nintendo will be fine though since their corporate culture allows great continuity.

Makonero

Congratulations, Mr. Takeda. What a wonderful legacy you've left behind. Thank you for Punch-Out!!, for the analog controller, and most of all, thank you for the Wii, which is still the console I've had the most fun with since my parents and other non-gaming relatives could play along.

You deserve a healthy and happy retirement.

Jhoan

Wow! End of an era for sure but thanks for all the memories. Punch Out! is one of those games that as soon as someone mentions it, the music instantly pops into in my head and starts playing. The man had one hell of a damn good track record it's a retirement well deserved.

The age of Nintendo's younger execs has been coming for a while. The day Miyamoto retires is going is going to be an incredibly sad day and hit like a truck.

Datschge

Miyamoto has been at Nintendo since 1977, with Genyo retiring he is the oldest senior level employees there.
What about Makoto Kanoh? Joined in 1972 as well, seems to be in semi-retirement since mid 1990's but still appears here and there.
Takehiro Izushi, who joined in 1975, definitely retired I think.
Takao Sawano joined in 1977 as well and worked on odd hard to track projects like the balance board for Wii and the Nintendo 3DS Guide for Louvre.

After Miyamoto there are...
Masao Yamamoto joined in 1978 and may still be involved in support, though the last credit seems to be for Super Mario 3D Land.
Not at Nintendo anymore but still active is today's president of Creatures Hirokazu Tanaka who originally joined in 1980.
Toru Osawa joined in 1981 and is mainly involved with externally developed games.
Next active well known to the public veteran would be Yoshio Sakamoto who joined in 1982.

Top Bottom