• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy/505 sign 7.75M publishing deal for new 3rd person action game for PC/PS4/XB1

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Remedy couldn't get a better publisher? Damn. I thought Quantum Break was an excellent game.

Mauddib

Banned
What the fuck is the leadership at MS doing? How do they let slip a potential exclusive from a third party that they've been courting for over a decade now? E3 really is going to be a bloodbath for MS like Shinobi hinted.

Good for Remedy, really glad to see them land on their feet post-Quantum Break. Hopefully 505 doesn't meddle too much, though. Overkill kind of threw them under the bus after the Payday 2 micro-transaction fiasco by implying that 505 were the driving force behind that change, though I'm not entirely sure that is the case. But *any* association to that shit show gives me pause.

I don't believe that for a second. Overkill proved they're a bunch of bastards with the way they handled it, and I doubt 505 would be able to force them to do that after the game was a massive success when it first came out.

This should have been the first post. I think Remedy could have found a better publisher.

Could they, though? Quantum Break was a huge bomb and I don't think Alan Wake was particularly successful either. Probably turned a profit eventually, but took its time getting there.

R*, Microsoft, 505 games

Which is the odd one out?

Max Payne came out in mid 2001 which was before GTA3, which means it was before R*'s success exploded. So MS is the odd one out as it's the only massive publisher they've signed with?

You sure their games are that expensive? I dunno. Remedy is a pretty small studio and MS is notorious for cutting off investments that do not seem to pay off (see Platinum Games).

Quantum Break looks like it was very expensive. It had a bloody TV show created as part of the game! Plus, it was in development for several years. I don't know what salaries/living costs are like in Finland but I really doubt it was inexpensive to make.

"...a game structure offering a long-lasting experience, P7 contains the deepest game mechanics yet in a Remedy game."

Perhaps something more open and with some light RPG mechanics?

oti

Banned
Remedy couldn't get a better publisher? Damn. I thought Quantum Break was an excellent game.
What's a "good publisher" in your mind and why isn't 505 on that list?

What the fuck is the leadership at MS doing? How do they let slip a potential exclusive from a third party that they've been courting for over a decade now? E3 really is going to be a bloodbath for MS like Shinobi hinted.
Maybe, just maybe, Remedy's games haven't performed that great over the years, despite them having very vocal fans?

Raide

Maybe, just maybe, Remedy's games haven't performed that great over the years, despite them having very vocal fans?

100% this. I love Remedy. They always make games I love but they just don't sell in the AAA numbers many people expect. Maybe this deal ups their exposure to a wider audience, which means later titles might sell.

Even with this deal, I suspect MS is not utterly dropping them from future plans. AW and QB remaster would be great once Scorpio appears.

peppers

This is most likely a stupid question but I'm not seeing an obvious answer myself, so:

If Microsoft were to publish this game (exclusively on their ecosystem and whatnot) the money they would have to pay would also be that amount? Common sense tells me no, but on the other hand, why would it be any more expensive?
In other words, did Xbox lose Remedy as an exclusive partner for 8 million €?

Again sorry if stupid question, i'm not in the know with these things.

allan-bh

This is most likely a stupid question but I'm not seeing an obvious answer myself, so:

If Microsoft were to publish this game (exclusively on their ecosystem and whatnot) the money they would have to pay would also be that amount? Common sense tells me no, but on the other hand, why would it be any more expensive?

If the game were exclusive Remedy would want more than 8 million because sales would be lower.

T.O.P

Banned

It's not bringin in the sales cuz

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
What's a "good publisher" in your mind and why isn't 505 on that list?

The publisher handles the marketing for the game. That is honestly the biggest service the publisher provides in the current digital landscape. How popular are games published by 505? Do you feel they can provide an adequate marketing for a AAA game? Shit, even in their press release they state that this is a big step for them.

If MS were to fund a Remedy game, given their capacity, it'd be a waste to fund anything other than a full-blown AAA game aiming to compete with the best-in-class AAA games.

But a massive AAA investment on Remedy does not appear to generate the returns that MS expect, so they don't even bother since they can get another developer to work on a AA game that fits their preferences or models more.

oti

Banned
The publisher handles the marketing for the game. That is honestly the biggest service the publisher provides in the current digital landscape. How popular are games published by 505? Do you feel they can provide an adequate marketing for a AAA game? Shit, even in their press release they state that this is a big step for them.

Why do you believe this will be a AAA game?

Bioshocker

I don't know why everyone is ignoring this:

"Remedy is also investing in P7 and is deeply committed to creating an unique gaming experience that will keep the players engaged and playing for a long time to come."

This is not your typical Remedy game. Probably not even single player focused by the sound of that.

Yeah. But I'm hoping we can get both.

Remedy is a small tech focused team. They're not expensive because of payroll. It is because they take too long to make a game. When you're a platform holder on the back foot like Microsoft you need short term gains.

illamap

Some details from finnish website: 20-year exclusivity to p7 brand of games and 45 percentage of royalties from net-sales aka against 7.75 million investment probably not a too good deal for remedy, but i am no businessman.

Remedy don't do anything quickly.

Kyn8-fxrcizs7058337.gif

peppers

If the game were exclusive Remedy would want more than 8 million because sales would be lower.

Right, as expected. Thanks.

Doesn't seem like the best deal in the world for them, I hope it turns out ok for everybody. I for one love their work.

WITHE1982

Here's hoping whatever it is sells like hotcakes to pave the way for a certain sequel. I still dream of seeing Alan Wake 2 at some point.

Just out of curiosity, I'm guessing there no chance of Alan Wake 1 being remastered for other platforms due to Microsoft Studios involvement?

Anyhoo great news that Remedy are going multi-platform. I'm very much a fan of their work and now it'll be available to the masses.

Malawhur

I am a big fan of Remedy and I always thought that they can find somehow a more fitting audience to their games at playstation ecosystem. I hope that their next game would sell well by going multiplatform because we need companies like them to keep pushing the story driven single player experiences.

MarveI

Here's a studio that hasn't exactly made great games aside of the 1st Max Payne but none of their games are truly bad. In fact most fell just short of greatness. Lacking something to be that next big thing. I still enjoyed all of them immensely. Especially Alan Wake. Let's hope they can break through that cycle of good but not great games.

So we're never gonna get Alan Wake 2 right ? Especially if this game of theirs fails too.

Some details from finnish website: 20-year exclusivity to p7 brand of games and 45 percentage of royalties from net-sales aka against 7.75 million investment probably not a too good deal for remedy, but i am no businessman.

Sounds like Remedy more so got the short end of the stick?
Especially if the game performs well.

7.75 mil investment is peanuts for 505 games right?

Wait, is this true? Do you have a link? I think I read that he didn't know of any other big games in development we don't already know about, but did he really imply they're going to take a battering at E3?! They've got to have a least a couple of things beyond what we already know about, surely?? (Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Ori 2, Sea of Thieves, more Halo, more Forza).

OléGunner;235560385 said:
Sounds like Remedy more so got the short end of the stick?
Especially if the game performs well.

7.75 mil investment is peanuts for 505 games right?

The 7.75 million is just the cash for developing, it does not include marketing or other publishing costs. Those are likely to be much more, considering this is also a multiplatform title.

Crzy1

Great news. I still need to sit down and play through Quantum Break, but have had to much on my plate recently as far as games are concerned. Big fan of Alan Wake, though, hopefully they do something along those lines again.

FelipeMGM

Not really. This is a publishing deal only, 505 Games is investing 7.75M Euros and will be getting 45% of the royalties of the net sales. No IP ownership and nothing like that

The deal Remedy made with MS for Quantum Break for example is different. They were hired to work on a game for MS, so they paid all the bills for that game (which was for sure waaaay more then 8M) and maybe some signing bonus fee too. Quantum Break is a MS Studios owned IP so they get the revenue from it and decide the future of the franchise.

Now, if Microsoft wanted to make a deal thats similar to the deal 505 is making, one they only acted as the publisher, and whould get just a portion of the money from sales, but making the game exclusive to their platforms, they would have to pay more than 8M for sure. They would be limiting Remedy, who is the owner of the IP and getting income for sales, to less platform and of course to less money. That potential money lost would be what MS most likely would have to pay to strike a similar deal. Prob not worth it for any side

Kayant

Good to see they found a publisher that supports the kind of games they known for. That budget seems low in comparison to something like Quantum Break for everything but I guess it doesn't need to be to that scale.
505 Games, a Digital Bros subsidiary, secures exclusive 20 year rights to the next game from Remedy Entertainment
Didn't think rights were signed for that long.
Also another interesting tidbit in case people don't/can't view the source -
The Group will publish a brand-new game by contributing €7.75 million in development funding and providing marketing and publishing services through 505 Games for digital and retail versions worldwide. The agreement includes a payment of 45% royalties on net sales.
Initially it was a guess then you made these comments -
I know things. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I think Microsoft currently wants to target 8TF and $400 USD. I'm not sure they can achieve it, but I think that's their current goal. Hence the 60% certainty.
It's like folks aren't aware I work in the industry or something.
That goes beyond guessing.

DocSeuss said:
Okay, but the rest of the world isn't anything to shout about, marketwise. It's always weird to me when people bring this up. The US alone is the biggest market (not counting China, but we're talking console sales, and most of China's money is mobile/PC iirc) by a huge margin. The other markets combined barely make a dent in that.

"But it didn't do well in the rest of the world" is literally a meaningless statement.
Your claims were the rest of the world combined as a market doesn't mean anything/matter in the grand scheme of things not the importance pubs put on the US which many would agree on.

Also "I work in industry" is a meaningless statement.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hopefully they can sort out their janky shooting mechanics, which plagued Alan Wake and QB. Hard to believe the same dev made Max Payne.

Real glad to hear it's a third-person action game. That's Remedy's bread and butter, and I'm glad they're doing what they do best.

Not so glad that I'll have to wait six years until I can play it!

Shredderi

Hopefully they'll get out of their "5-6 years to make a game that's linear and doesn't set the world on fire" cycle. Their games are of quality but take way too long to make for what they are. Less graphics, faster turnaround please.

What if you play as a handpuppet, so they can make a cheap TV series as part of the game using hand puppets? final boss can be a teddy bear or the crash suit guy from my avatar

It was rumoured (two or so months ago?) via an insider on twitter, not sure if Shinobi but I believe it was someone credible.

He said (IIRC) that it was just jis opinion, not something we was certain due some insider knowledge.

It's the equivalent of saying that since Sony cancelled Santa Monica's new IP for GoW reboot, started U4 and Days Gone almost from scratch and closed some studios, ended some partnerships with 3rds, that all that Sony is interested of publishing is the Last of Us clones.

I mean it could be true, but there are likely more complex reasons for why things get cancelled or changed.

oti

Banned
Remedy has been in the odd game since Alan Wake. A cinematic, episodic(to combat their long dev time) co-op action service game would fit the bill for being unique.

I don't expect this game to be anything like Alan Wake or QB tbh. They want to make a multiplayer game that people can play a long time. That's not cinematic stroy-driven, that's multiplayer service-driven.

I'm sure the game will be very Remedy, but this is not the same as QB or Alan Wake, it's not on the same scale.

Glad Remedy is going multiplat. I can give their games a shot now.

? Link please

Wait, is this true? Do you have a link? I think I read that he didn't know of any other big games in development we don't already know about, but did he really imply they're going to take a battering at E3?! They've got to have a least a couple of things beyond what we already know about, surely?? (Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Ori 2, Sea of Thieves, more Halo, more Forza).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235247614&postcount=1398

Glad Remedy is going multiplat. I can give their games a shot now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235247614&postcount=1398

I seem to be missing the "bloodbath" element of any of those posts?

Also, Shinobi seems like a cool guy with connections in the industry that does not mean he would be privvy to getting info on what deals MS are doing behind the scenes. Did he know of Playground, Armature, Creative Assembly, Insomniac, Crytek, Platinum etc before they were all revealed / announced? Those would be links I would be interested in seeing.

Top Bottom