• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRAFE® |OT| REAL. BLOODY. FUN (also bleeding edge graphics and gameplay circa 1996)

The Flash

Banned
1399964161-forum-banner.png

VyoAdX8.png

Developer: Pixel Titans
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Release date: 5. 9. 17
Type: Singleplayer roguelike FPS with retro inspired graphics
For: Fans of classic id Software titles like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake

STRAFE ® is a unique singleplayer 3D action experience where the player can pick up a gun and shoot hordes of things in the face. Sounds crazy right? WELL IT GETS CRAZIER, WE PUT YOU IN THE EYES OF A DIGITAL PERSON! YUP, RIGHT BEHIND THE GUN. We've created groundbreaking technology that changes the levels everytime you play for endless replayability! There are BILLIONS of experiences to be had with crazy secrets to find! We give you the levels, you paint them red.

• BILLIONS of level possibilities with a unique level generated on every load
• OCULUS RIFT compatibility - put yourself inside 100% virtualized "real" environments
• Randomized enemies, monster closets and hidden secrets surprise at every turn
• ÜBER-GORE® Tech for ludicrously persistent gibs
• Lifelike digital gravity
• BLAZING fast gameplay and responsive controls
• Realtime first person upright biped simulation
• Weapon upgrades and power-ups that’ll change your play style
• Unsigned 32 bit colors!
• Colored lighting!
• Ultra large resolutions with a unique 16:9* screen ratio (*only in 2d mode)
• Multi dimensional polygonal meshes derived from over a thousand unique vertices
• STRAFE®!

S52HSJC.png

STEAM
PS4
$19.96 for digital copies

There was this Throwback Edition but it's sold out :(

kfws92Y.png

MINIMUM
Processor: Intel Pentium G3250 (2 * 3200) or equivalent AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 * 3400) or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT (1024 MB) | Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Shared memory) | AMD Radeon HD 5770 (1024 MB)
Storage: 3 GB available space
Additional Notes: Gameplay experience around 30 FPS on average when using the Mid-high settings

RECOMMENDED
Processor: Intel Core i3-4160 (2 * 3600) or equivalent AMD FX-6350 (6 * 3900) or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 (1024 MB) AMD Radeon R7 260X (2048 MB)
Additional Notes: Gameplay experience around 60 FPS on average when using the Mid-high settings

NrJrKcz.png

It’s your yearly scrapping mission, but this year is different. Your humble scout ship has been recruited to join the massive spacecraft ICARUS. They plan to head to far edge of the galaxy, to a remote sector where other scrappers have not yet dared to venture.
The rewards could be unimaginable. But so are the risks. It may be unexplored space, but it’s a gamble you know you must take.
You lost.
You return from a run empty handed, but worse, ICARUS is no where to be found. You check your coordinates. You try the coms. No answer from your comrades on ICARUS. Yet their teleporter appears in-range and responsive.
So you grab a gun “just in case” and teleport onto ICARUS. What could go wrong?

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/xewczpV.png[/IMG]

ymcOQjh.png

sD7FOP.gif
uL0h6e.gif
cLtBin.gif

strafe_game_death_glutton_drink_blood_by_digi_matrix-d8i7dlu.gif
strafe_game_head_mind_blown_explosion_reaction_gif_by_digi_matrix-d8hd5dw.gif
strafe_game_railgun_by_digi_matrix-d8ide3o.gif

Phediuk

Not really sold on what I've seen of this so far.

Strafe was lucky to be announced before Doom 2016 came out imo. And even within the sub-subgenre of "indie-style pixel-art FPSes", Devil Daggers beat it to the punch.

Mik2121

Kinda forgot this game was releasing so soon, but I remember really enjoying the trailer thing with the enemy dying and all that, then going into the player perspective and making it look like nothing.
Wonder if the game itself has some sort of humor going on.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just found out about this game today and instantly pre-ordered the physical PS4 copy. I'm probably going to give my Steam key to a friend, so I won't be playing it for a while

Here's hoping that it's good

Played this at two PAXes already. This thing must be released because holy shit it feels like a decade went by.

I kinda wish we could preload.

Game itself seems fun but I am beyond burnt out on the faux-retro art style. DOOM payed homage in its gameplay but had a distinct modern aesthetic, this fits the same visual style that so many indie titles have been glomming to for the past few years.

Loved the trailer. Hope this is good. Does it have coop?

Edit: aw, single player only. Bummer. Game looks fun as hell though.

Was watching a stream of this last night and preordered after about 15 minutes. The Quake nostalgia hit me strong, as did the secret
Wolfenstein levels.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Been waiting for this for a while. Gonna be a rad time.

bathsalts

Cant wait for this one, gunplay looks so similar to OG Quake. Normally dont go for the retro pixel look but it doesn't seem that offensive here and I'm a big fan of ridiculous gore and violence which helps.

Oh, had no idea this was out tomorrow.

Been lookin forward to this for awhile, just going to wait on some impressions before buying.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Bleeding edge graphics circa 1996

MINIMUM SPECS said:
Processor: Intel Pentium G3250 (2 * 3200) or equivalent AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 * 3400) or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT (1024 MB) | Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Shared memory) | AMD Radeon HD 5770 (1024 MB)
Additional Notes: Gameplay experience around 30 FPS on average when using the Mid-high settings

YZlQaMesgPIAM.gif

My kind of game, but the randomly generated/roguelike gameplay elements has me concerned. I prefer a game with well crafted level design, so not sure if this will deliver for me. But am looking forward to the reviews and stuff.

why is this so appealing to me

also lol @ price

That's an America only joke price. Enjoy it.

My kind of game, but the randomly generated/roguelike gameplay elements has me concerned. I prefer a game with well crafted level design, so not sure if this will deliver for me. But am looking forward to the reviews and stuff.

Yeah, that's where I am right now. Tight level/encounter design is crucial for my enjoyment of singleplayer FPSes. If their algorithm can pull if off, then I'm sold.

Redmoon

This makes me miss the fps genre from the 90s to early 2000's. Looking forward to seeing if it delivers.

What I'd do to see a return of those days

Yeah, that's where I am right now. Tight level/encounter design is crucial for my enjoyment of singleplayer FPSes. If their algorithm can pull if off, then I'm sold.

Yup, well crafted enemy design/layout is crucial as well. I'm doubtful this can be done when it's randomized, but we'll see.

BiggNife

I played this at pax and while the game looks and feels like an old school FPS I was pretty disappointed by the shotgun. Didn't have as much oomph as I had hoped.

Got PS4 Physical to keep and steam code should be hitting email tomorrow.

*still a few left if you want both PS4 and Steam key cheap with cool box
Might be worth noting that Special Reserve currently has a credit card-only system for those that are considering a physical PS4 copy from their website. However, Limited Run will be distributing their own unique variant of the console version with an exclusive cover through their store possibly on May 19th.
Limited Run supports PayPal for those seeking buyer protection; however, their releases tend to sell out immediately and it would be worth nothing that Strafe isn't a part of their ongoing, published collection. Its kicking off an awkward distribution deal with Devolver Digital and Special Reserve having their titles available for sale on Limited's website at some point in the future. It probably won't come with any extra merch, like a sticker or post card, aside from a ticket for their reward program.

eshwaaz

Yep, in the same boat. There have been numerous games that appeal to me in so many ways, but then lose me with with random level generation and roguelike structure.

MrFortyFive

Also coming to GOG for those who might prefer it over Steam. Didn't see a mention of it in the first post. I had never heard of this game until recently, but I'm curious about it. Seeing the mention of roguelike elements is a bit iffy but could be really interesting if implemented well.

Top Bottom