• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STRAFE® |OT| REAL. BLOODY. FUN (also bleeding edge graphics and gameplay circa 1996)

Echo's pretty common complaints. Bizarrely focuses on how this is a poor Rogue-LITE, when it's not a Rogue-LITE at all. It's a slightly barebones re-creation of the Spelunky Rogue-Like structure with first-person shooter gameplay. It probably would have been better received IF it were a Rogue-LITE, but I guess that's not the game Pixel Titans wanted to make.

What game they wanted to do?

Not a good FPS, that's for sure.

Purkake4

Banned
Uh huh

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Please indie FPS makers, get away from this trend. Not all of us are gagging for roguelike elements in every genre.
Because there's a dearth of non-roguelike FPSs out there...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sad thing is I spent less to get into Delver's early access (Which isn't even on Kickstarter and is being made by one guy) and have enjoyed it a lot more than STRAFE which I don't really find myself wanting to play much and I spent $50 on the KS.

Difference is both are first person randomly generated games, but Delver is more of a Roguelike action RPG or something with amazingly designed level styles and actually fits the random level paradigm a lot better.

The Delver dev even does streams every week showing his progress. Of course Delver isn't a FPS. Just more of a FPRPG or something.

Volcynika

Having a lot of fun with it. Got to the last boss, but failed to pick up on the mechanic soon enough. I had a good mod for my machine gun too :(

Music is great though.

Patch #2 notes (from http://steamcommunity.com/games/442780/announcements/detail/2470633236761060953):
Thanks again for all of your feedback and help. Please keep sending any issues you experience to feedback@wearepixeltitans.com

• Added animation to display when the game is loading
• Added look sensitivity Y option
• Added "Are you sure" Pop up when ending a run
• Fixed many issues that could cause level geometry to improperly generate stopping player progress
• Tweaks to fire-rate perks
• Fixed issue that could make scrap unobtainable
• Fixed issues with the Zone 3 (Burbs) train from stopping game progress
• Fixed issue that could soft lock progress when playing the rats map
• Fixed issue causing barrel inventory problems
• Main gun sounds are now in (( stereo ))
• Fixed a few issues with secret weapons
• Fixed multiple issues with the Jump map weapons
• Fixed issue with the Jump map boundaries
• Upped the dankness
• Fixed collider issue in the Zone 3 (Burbs) Merchant
• Fixed issue with Zone 4 (Complex) merchant Item descriptions
• Changed how gun sounds are spread and spatialized
• Fixed a typo with a Kickstarter Backer name
• Fixed issue not resetting player upgrades in the Murder Zone
• Fixed issue in the Murder Zone that could stop player progress

Has anyone been able to figure out the strength of the starter railgun? It seems so weak, even with the shooting the alt-fire thing. The shotgun feels like the clear winner out of the 3.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Picked it up. Enjoying, but had to drop the resolution to get good performance. I guess I need a newer laptop. I have an i5-5200U and Intel HD 5500. :(

low-G

Still enjoying it. One thing I've noticed is the weapon upgrades especially seem wildly out of balance.

Seems like depending on your upgrade you can have a weapon that does MANY times more damage (maybe 8x) or maybe you'll just get a weapon one that can bounce back and harm you (at least before patch 1), and it's all just random which upgrade terminal you run into.

I've taken a screenshot of the terminal that gave me one that one hit kills almost every enemy with way better accuracy than the standard version. I'm actually afraid they'll nerf it...

The 'items' you buy / occasionally find also seem out of balance. There's a nice regen one that works up to 75 health and the recharging armor one seems like it could be really broken if you just decide you're not going to care at all about how long it takes you to finish.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Picked it up. Enjoying, but had to drop the resolution to get good performance. I guess I need a newer laptop. I have an i5-5200U and Intel HD 5500. :(
Yeah, I have a Retina MBP and even with it rendering at 1080, it didn't actually run well enough for me until I changed the physical resolution of my display to 720p. Even on my GeForce GT 750M and quad-core i7 and 16GB RAM. What exactly could this engine be doing that would kill its performance there? It was so laggy. The mouse movement was laggy. The game was slow. Turning was slow. Changed to 720p physically and it ran like butter.

Darknight

Hey I bought the Special reserve bundle for PS4/PC...anyone know if I have to open the case to get the PC code or what?

Editl: nvm i think its under my account.

derFeef

I got the Special Reserve box yesterday. Pretty awesome.
Also tried the game for the first time and sadly it's a huge letdown. It's honestly nothing like they have promoted. Slow, clunky, cumbersome, shooting does not feel all that great and the levels are boring. Hell even the gore is boring looking :(

Purkake4

Banned
Just tried it and got a refund. The components just don't come together, the guns are super unbalanced, the gun upgrades screw you over more often than not, you're reloading more than you're firing. All the extra rogue-lite elements just add clutter.

In Doom you can catch your breath and take it one area at a time, in SRAFE it's pretty much a constant rush to the exit while enemies swarm you.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just tried it and got a refund. The components just don't come together, the guns are super unbalanced, the gun upgrades screw you over more often than not, you're reloading more than you're firing. All the extra rogue-lite elements just add clutter.

In Doom you can catch your breath and take it one area at a time, in SRAFE it's pretty much a constant rush to the exit while enemies swarm you.
Sorry, but your last statement is not true. There are ways to manage the assault.

I don't remember Doom enemies tracking me down across the map if they see me once.

Main reason for that is because Strafe has faster enemies that beeline for you rather than moving generally towards you but shuffling back and forth some too.

The other reasons is because Doom doors open and close, and enemies don't open doors.

Purkake4

Banned
Main reason for that is because Strafe has faster enemies that beeline for you rather than moving generally towards you but shuffling back and forth some too.

The other reasons is because Doom doors open and close, and enemies don't open doors.
Now that you mention it, I think it is the doors. I really appreciated being able to always lock myself in in Prey.

Kyuur

Just got a KS update. Huge update coming including daily/weekly challenges, new game modes and (something I know a lot of people were asking for) new unlocks that persist in between runs (it sounds like they're toggle-able, possibly not all beneficial?). Bunch of fixes and QoL stuff too.

Beta is already available too!

Shanaynay

I forgot about this game, how addictive is it? I might purchase it!

EDIT: Considering the gameplay is heavily inspired by FPS likes DOOM and such, its an outrage i forgot about this game. ._.

calavera_jo

Neo Member
It's def not as bad as people make it out to be. I just hate that the game doesn't respect my time. What's wrong with letting me save, or at least give a checkpoint between zones

Top Bottom