• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege - Operation Health

dex3108

As announced during the Six Invitational, game health is our priority. To achieve this goal we took the decision to fully dedicate the next three months to improving our game. This means pushing back our season set in Hong Kong and launching instead, Operation Health.
Operation Health is all about fixing several issues and investing in better technology to make sure we keep growing strong in the upcoming years.

r6_op_health_3pillars_vf_289784.png

Operation Health will follow a much more iterative pace and new deployment philosophy in three steps ensuring we gradually inject new developments. For instance, the One Step Matchmaking will be released first on the Technical Test Server (TTS), then on PC and finally, when ready, on Xbox One and PS4.
With Operation Health pushing back our season set in Hong Kong, we needed to rethink our Year 2 Roadmap. Hong Kong will be released in August as part of Season Three and South Korea in November during Season Four. While Poland no longer has a dedicated season, our GROM Operators will be released at the start of Season Three and Four.
Finally, we have decided to reduce the number of new maps to three this year (including the released map set in Spain) to truly prioritize our game’s health. You can find below our updated Year 2 Roadmap:

r6_op_health_year2_roadmap_updated_289785.png

https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-US/news/152-289775-16/year-2-season-2-operation-health

Ubisoft is really committed to this game.

Too bad I can't properly read their three pillar plan on mobile

Apart from that, good I guess. Game has a bunch of issues that have been annoying from day one.

Rodelero

So basically, two operators that were expected to release in the next few weeks have been pushed back three months and a new map which was expected to be released in the next few weeks has disappeared altogether... all so they can fix their broken game?

Hmm.

Dysun

Long overdue

Hopefully we don't get trash quality maps like Yacht/Favela next though and more like Border/Skyscraper/Coastline

Just got into the game with 60 hours. I love the game, and I was wondering why DLC didn't feel like it was moving. Can't wait for the operators.

Pandy

Good news.

The servers went to absolute hell just as I'd persuaded two friends to buy the game, which led to a frustrating few sessions of struggling to connect. It's been okay since then, but matchmaking on PS4 is still a hit-or-miss affair, and the whole thing could definitely use a tidy up here and there.

So I quit playing right before season one. This game still active on the PS4? Thinking of jumping back in.
Very few issues getting a full game aside from the aforementioned occasional server 'hiccups'.

On one hand, I think that's really admirable that they're willing to cut out a map's worth of dev time to focus on the health of the game.

On the other, people have already paid for a season 2 pass that stated they were getting x amount of content, right?

Edit: oh wait I forgot this game's structure. Maps are free, the pass covers characters.

Foxxsoxx

This is both awesome and horrible. Unfortunately I don't feel like playing until the next content comes...

I regret getting the Y2 season pass...

Auctopus

As my go-to shooter and a believer in what this game could be if the Devs fixed it up, this is all good to hear.

Following through with the 'operation' is another matter.

Edit: I can't believe I completely missed the part about them moving content back. What.

What happens to my season pass tho

Is part 4 of the season going to be first quarter of next year?

Can't see the image on mobile.

Edit:. Okay we're still getting all the ops, good with me.

Glad to see them dedicated to this game.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Sucks to push the new operators back but this is much needed.

Probably the best shooter released this generation

Please reduce the cost of the Legacy Operator bundle now.

Lets be honest, they probably just didn't have the operators in a properly playable state.

They make it sound like the game is a non-functional mess (must be reading the constant river of tears in the OT), I'm not saying the game is the epitome of polish, but there's nothing so horribly broken they'd need three months to fix it... And to push back the planned content one would think should be relatively close to completion.

Genuinely thought this would never happen, but I'm really glad that it is. Siege 100% needs this if Ubisoft want to continue the competitive side of the game.
There's been far too many rehosts in pro league matches due to glitches, especially with Hibana's gadget not detonating properly.

TherealDoge

Neo Member
So, what's the compensation for the players, the Season pass owner ans the others regarding the map loss? OK it's free but it's part of the Season pass/game marketing description

Neil_J_UK

Hopefully it fixes the connection issues I have with the game. I was able to play perfectly fine until the latest big update, and after I get connection issues 90% of the time so I'm unable to join any games or join a party with a friend. Tried everything I could think of - port forwarding, DMZ, re-install, nothing worked.

Fury451

Banned
I'm glad they're doing this, just really unfortunate that it means pushing back the new content and splitting Poland.

Still, same content being released, so can't complain.

So, what's the compensation for the players, the Season pass owner ans the others regarding the map loss? OK it's free but it's part of the Season pass/game marketing description

They'll probably comp with something. One less map, but can't imagine they won't reward the pass owners/the community somehow, even if it's boosters or something. Plus the maps are technically not content controlled exclusively by the pass like you already mentioned, so they're not officially doing anything wrong by "rethinking" the map for this year.

Auctopus

The Season Pass does not include the maps. It's access to the operators without spending Renown. Seeing as all the Operators are going to be released this year, it's not really taking anything away.

The delay sucks though, as does a missing map.

nOoblet16

While QoL is important it should not come at the price of content update. Game has been out for a year and a half and ranked matchmaking is still in beta and I guess they have been working on this but again...1.5 years ! Also reducing overall maps from 4 to 3, including the Spain Mao from February means we only have 2 new maps to go.

Also what about the season 2 pass buyers? Would they still get all the originally planned operators from year 2 eventhough one of them will probably be pushed into year 3?

And lastly why announce this so late? I was so looking forward to the new operators and new map but now I'll have to wait until August and I just don't care. Should've just announced this plan a month or two ago rather than 2 weeks before the planned release of new content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, honest question. Why are they reducing the map count if those are made by level designers and environment artists?

Lets be honest, they probably just didn't have the operators in a properly playable state.

They make it sound like the game is a non-functional mess (must be reading the constant river of tears in the OT), I'm not saying the game is the epitome of polish, but there's nothing so horribly broken they'd need three months to fix it... And to push back the planned content one would think should be relatively close to completion.

These sound like potentially huge infrastructure changes. Three months sounds about right to me, especially for this team and its history of subpar QA.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Honestly, I'm fine with less maps. Maps are hard to learn in this game because there are so many destructible walls/ceilings

Kade

I hope they're planning on overhauling the chat and report system on PC. I wish you could just disable All chat instead of both All and Team chat. Would be nice to have other reporting options instead of just "Report for Suspicious Behaviour".

Buzzbrad

While I agree the game needs this, only 3 maps this year really sucks. I don't get how this update would effect a map though? The level designers and environment artists shouldn't be the ones working on this update. It seems like it is mostly back end stuff.

Grady

Huh? Do I get some of my season pass back? Or is season 1 of yr 3 going to be free..

Edit

Didn't see that all new operators were still releasing.

Foxxsoxx

So, honest question. Why are they reducing the map count if those are made by level designers and environment artists?

Only thing I can think of is the development team is so small that the guys working on it fill multiple roles in the development team?

Or you know, Ubisoft.

Fury451

Banned

My guess is that they're putting all resources on making the game stable, so while you can have artists and such design and create the level, they wouldn't roll it out until next year anyway at this point if they want to properly test it or whatever. Maybe if there's a year 3, we'll get 5 maps.

I can't imagine the team for this game is all that large, hence the need to dedicate like this; but considering it has been an ever-increasing surprise hit, Ubi throwing some more resources their way would be nice.

It's also the only game I will occasionally purchase elite content for, because I don't mind supporting it considering that the team really seem to love this product.

Moobabe

So basically, two operators that were expected to release in the next few weeks have been pushed back three months and a new map which was expected to be released in the next few weeks has disappeared altogether... all so they can fix their broken game?

Hmm.

So you would rather sit around playing a broken game with new operators on a new map... than have a better functioning game?

The netcode is a mess just like all Ubi games, so while I'm not happy about the HK ops being delayed this is gonna hopefully pay off in the long run. I also read the title and got excited, thought it was a new ops trailer with music done by HEALTH :/

Only thing I can think of is the development team is so small that the guys working on it fill multiple roles in the development team?

Or you know, Ubisoft.

Yeah that makes a bit sense. Ubisoft is a very multidisciplinary team, and everyone works on everything. So when Ubi wants them to focus on new Assassin's Creed DLC, people get assigned to tasks.

It's definitely possible that their focus on maps distracted them in making the base game work well instead of focusing on QA and bug-free implementation of new maps that may break the existing game.

Thank God I didn't buy season pass 2 yet.

TheRed

So Hong Kong and Korea each come with a Poland operator now? Sucks that we won't get a Poland map though. I want more maps.

Foxxsoxx

So you would rather sit around playing a broken game with new operators on a new map... than have a better functioning game?

Would be nice to have both T_T

The game should have launched in a way better state to be fair, this is the players getting screwed out of content because of something out of our control.

For example I come back to play this game for a few weeks mostly because of the new maps, which are my greatest interest in the game since it is the only thing that I haven't played a million times over.

While I agree the game needs this, only 3 maps this year really sucks. I don't get how this update would effect a map though? The level designers and environment artists shouldn't be the ones working on this update. It seems like it is mostly back end stuff.
The game desperately needs maps, but most will disagree with me. Maps are more important than operators right now imo, this is one of the reasons I don't mind paying for maps as when they're given for free it takes much longer and you get considerably less.

nOoblet16

I figure maps in Siege might involve a lot of backend development due to the way destruction and operators work. Basically the maps become more open and prone to undesired effects. But yes even then I don't see why reducing map count is necessary.

Infact if you think about it, shouldn't it be easier to add two operators than add a new map ? I've never quite understood how how 2 operators and 1 map takes 3-4 months to release. If it's due to the back end stuff being worked upon then that means they work on backend side by side which makes you then think why would they push back the release of operators/maps if that were the case.

How about showing terrorist hunt some love? First off dedicated servers like competitive.

Terrorist hunt will always be trash on console because it's either an extremely sluggish 30fps or it has crazy screen tearing. I only ever play it for the dailies.

Also yeah no Polish map is a bummer.

groansey

The technical problems around the launch of Velvet Shell were catastrophic at a time the playerbase was ready to explode. So great they might be addressed, but at the expense of a season?!

Hard to know whether to take their reasoning at face value or if it's a case of resources being diverted to priority projects.

If they fix the problems great, but this could equally be the death of this game.

Meanwhile competitors are churning out new maps, event maps, game modes, co-op content on a more frequent basis.

Top Bottom