• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege - Operation Health

Gowans

This is mine and a few mates go to Multi since the start of the year on Xbox.

Many many hours have been had, good to hear about cleaning it up (hope they have an update for scorpio) but shame about the longer wait for new stuff.

Fury451

Banned
I figure maps in Siege might involve a lot of backend development due to the way destruction and operators work. Basically the maps become more open and prone to undesired effects. But yes even then I don't see why reducing map count is necessary.

Infact if you think about it, shouldn't it be easier to add two operators than add a new map ? I've never quite understood how how 2 operators and 1 map takes 3-4 months to release. If it's due to the back end stuff being worked upon then that means they work on backend side by side which makes you then think why would they push back the release of operators/maps if that were the case.

Balancing and integration into the roster in the case of operators. Gadgets tend to have a pretty notable effect on the game, and vary pretty significantly in how they effect the gameplay and world itself, so making sure that's tight and works properly would take a few months at least.

Also, the new ops tend to have some balance needs when released. For example, Blackbeard was previously nigh-invulnerable, and Jackal's primary assault rifle was a pinpoint accurate death machine at any range for a little while.

Not to mention the fact that Velvet Shell, coming hot off publicity for a free weekend (which brought a lot of team-killing shitheads to the game unfortunately, but a lot of new fans too) bungled their goodwill by essentially breaking the game. So adding new ops and maps isn't really that great if your servers crash and people can't play. Which is exactly what happened with Velvet Shell for a couple weeks after launch.

nOoblet16

Game does need new maps though...and having one less map will only make it worse. The matches in R6 play very different everytime and as such they are infinitely replayable but I do want to see some more fresh stuff. More so than operators.

Look at the roadmap
Unreadable on mobile, here and on the website both

That is some insane next level support.
Cannot wait.

I mean to be faiiiir if the game had acceptable netcode this "insane next level support" wouldn't be needed in the first place. But I do agree in a way, a lot of devs would have just moved on to Siege 2 at this point.

nOoblet16

Balancing and integration into the roster in the case of operators. Gadgets tend to have a pretty notable effect on the game, and vary pretty significantly in how they effect the gameplay and world itself, so making sure that's tight and works properly would take a few months at least.

Also, the new ops tend to have some balance needs when released. For example, Blackbeard was previously nigh-invulnerable, and Jackal's primary assault rifle was a pinpoint accurate death machine at any range for a little while.
Yes but that's going to happen regardless of how long you take to release the operators because they won't know what's broken or underpowered until they really test it out for real with their playerbase. If they could do otherwise by simply doing internal testing then Blackbeard with his 700-800hp shield would never have made it to launch.

Fury451

Banned
I mean to be faiiiir if the game had acceptable netcode this "insane next level support" wouldn't be needed in the first place. But I do agree in a way, a lot of devs would have just moved on to Siege 2 at this point.

Agreed, but if this is a whole stable revamp of the game, then we wouldn't need a Siege 2; they could just keep building on this. As is, building on shaky ground is nice for fans who want more content, but not practical if nothing changes and it frequently collapses. If this changes a lot, it's worth a delay to a season.

Yes but that's going to happen regardless of how long you take to release the operators because they won't know what's broken or underpowered until they really test it out for real with their playerbase. If they could do otherwise by simply doing internal testing then Blackbeard with his 700-800hp shield would never have made it to launch.

elaborated a bit more on the real issue that they have; Velvet Shell wrecked the game on release. I recall that that happened with previous seasons also- mainly Red Crow, and perhaps a bit with Skull Rain, but it was far more pronounced recently.

KodaRuss

I am not really sure how I feel about this. Why did they wait so long to announce this? We were expecting operator/new level announcements this week or next.

Overall, why did this take so fucking long...

CeePhour

Banned
That is some insane next level support.
Cannot wait.

Amen. Glad to see them doing right by this game, it's fucking fantastic. The only problem I've had is the learning curve. it's been impossible to get any friends into it because they play 1 match and "eh, I played it", and have no understanding of what they were playing (hint: it isn't Quake III Arena).

BHK3

Banned
Find it very backwards that the games getting repaired a year and a half after release. What is this, early access? Funds from sales go towards fixing it!

Warablo

This is terrible. The only thing hurting the game is lack of new content and the new casual matchmaking system.

KodaRuss

The comments about "Great Support" and "this is great to hear from a developer" need to stop.

This game has been out since December 2015 and many of the issues they are addressing have been there since the start.

Also, every single damn update breaks something else in the game. You could write a book on the number bugs this game has seen.

/paging Alpine for more...

I love the hell out of this game and play it constantly but Ubisoft is done a poor job in giving resources to this team to do what needs to be done.

Fury451

Banned
Find it very backwards that the games getting repaired a year and a half after release. What is this, early access? Funds from sales go towards fixing it!

I don't recall it having the kind of issues it does now until Dust Line released and after. It's definitely been infinitely worse since about 7 months or so after release, and each new large content update shattered it further. The weird thing is the game has also gotten better and better every time too.

So there's a lot to rightfully be upset about, but the game was functional, if unremarkable for period anyway. The team is dedicated and deserves support for it, but it's clear they're operating on a low amount of flexibility. Ubi has the money to dump into this, and it took them awhile to see this as a viable game I'm guessing.

Compsiox

Banned

They're always tuning things and add new content every two months. They're not only fixing bugs but they're also optimizing the user experience.

groansey

The comments about "Great Support" and "this is great to hear from a developer" need to stop.

This game has been out since December 2015 and many of the issues they are addressing have been there since the start.

Also, every single damn update breaks something else in the game. You could write a book on the number bugs this game has seen.

/paging Alpine for more...

I love the hell out of this game and play it constantly but Ubisoft is done a poor job in giving resources to this team to do what needs to be done.

Spot on.

Hard to be positive about this decision. They should be ramping up content considering they charge for season passes. Overwatch regularly gives me free new shit and I don't have to grind or pay for it.

I supported and defended the team through for the first year, but it's beyond a joke.

Rodelero

So you would rather sit around playing a broken game with new operators on a new map... than have a better functioning game?

Why should I have to choose, frankly? I bought this game, and I bought its Year Two Season Pass. I have now been told, in May, when they should have been dropping extra content as part of that Season Pass, that some of the content has been delayed and other parts have been cancelled.

There are several issues with this:

1) The game shouldn't run this badly in the first place, and Ubisoft should be putting in all the resources necessary to fix it ASAP, not delivering it as part of their damned "Year Two Plan".

2) How long have they been holding back this information? It is already May, when we were expecting a new map and two new operators. They have been selling the Year Two Pass on the basis of imminent character releases. Now we find out it isn't the case.

3) Where is the apology, and where is the compensation? Companies that fuck up should try to make good to their customers. They are a million miles from that right now. They should be going above and beyond to make up for their mess. Not reducing the amount of content they're putting out.

We don't have all the behind-the-scenes information, but yeah, I'd say that the state of Siege isn't necessarily the fault of the devs, it's a lack of resources to keep up with a DLC schedule (which could be a stipulation by a board/stakeholders, mind you) and keeping the game's health/stability up.

The devs themselves do good work with the actual content, but they need a lot better QA, in addition to fixing these fundamentals.

Keihart

Would be nice to have both T_T

The game should have launched in a way better state to be fair, this is the players getting screwed out of content because of something out of our control.

For example I come back to play this game for a few weeks mostly because of the new maps, which are my greatest interest in the game since it is the only thing that I haven't played a million times over.

To be fair , the game existence is kinda of a miracle, is not like anything in the market thus it didn't had a proved target audience nor a blueprint on how to solve it problems.

I can't imagine how much work went just into making destruction work online.

Why should I have to choose, frankly? I bought this game, and I bought its Year Two Season Pass. I have now been told, in May, when they should have been dropping extra content as part of that Season Pass, that some of the content has been delayed and other parts have been cancelled.

The season pass does not include new Operators and Maps. Those are free for everyone. It includes one week early access to the new ops and not having to unlock them with in-game XP.

You aren't getting anything less than what was advertised in the Season pass you bought, only a delay on the operators that again are for every player not just season pass owners.

To be fair , the game existence is kinda of a miracle, is not like anything in the market thus it doesn't had a proved target audience nor a blueprint on how to solve problems.

I can't imagine how much work went just into making destruction work online.

This. No one thought Siege would be this successful. It was, to an extent, sent out to die, or at least I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if it did.

TheRed

People might be mad about this and oh the game should've been better from the start but if this is the opportunity for them to finally focus hard on improving the core game functionalities without being too preoccupied at getting new operators and a map completed I'm glad they're going ahead and doing it now.
Much better than if the year 2 content kept progressing the same way and not getting these improvements until later when many more issues from the next dlcs would be piled on top again.

Rodelero

The season pass does not include new Operators and Maps. Those are free for everyone. It includes one week early access to the new ops and not having to unlock them with in-game XP.

You aren't getting anything less than what was advertised in the Season pass you bought, only a delay on the operators that again are for every player not just season pass owners.

I absolutely love the sect of NeoGAF that seems to feel its their place to advocate for massive games companies. No, they are not failing to provide what they have sold, and yet it would require someone particularly obtuse to not see why this is shitty behaviour from Ubisoft to their customers.

I'm on mobile and can see it fine.

What it looks like for me and many others.
l4uc.png

why are you responding to the topic if you obviously don't have all the information?

They asked a question since they couldn't read the roadmap. Calm down.

Is the game state that bad? Everytime theres a thread criticizing ubisoft this game is always listed as such an amazing game

It is an amazing game, with a ton of flaws though, some small and some larger. This health roadmap will make it a much better game.

Are they presenting bug-fixing as free DLC?

Only paid DLC are operators and skins. Ops can be unlocked with in game currency though, most skins can also.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is the game state that bad? Everytime theres a thread criticizing ubisoft this game is always listed as such an amazing game
No it's not. Matchmaking is great in casual, ranked is a bit of a problem. The game is amazing, no question about that.

Fury451

Banned

It's an amazing game, solid core concepts and gameplay the ranks among some of the best ever conceived for a multiplayer shooter. There's nothing else quite like it, and the addition of new operators in abilities has only expanded the potential of the attack and defend mechanics.

Unfortunately the netcode has been very iffy in particular as it relates to ranked matchmaking

I like Siege but the wait times are atrocious on Xbox. Sometimes I'm waiting for up to five minutes to get into a game. Almost never get into a game sooner than 1 minute.

I absolutely love the sect of NeoGAF that seems to feel its their place to advocate for massive games companies. No, they are not failing to provide what they have sold, and yet it would require someone particularly obtuse to not see why this is shitty behaviour from Ubisoft to their customers.

You being wrong has nothing to do with advocating for game companies. Maybe you shouldn't get indignant about them screwing you over something that was never promised to you?

KodaRuss

Any spectulation on how high tick + better hit reg will help low ping users like me vs med/high ping users?

I hope but not holding my breath. My ping is usually 40-60 normally.

It doesnt frustrate me too much unless its an Ash with 100+ ping storming through the map destroying me and my team.

groansey

You being wrong has nothing to do with advocating for game companies. Maybe you shouldn't get indignant about them screwing you over something that was never promised to you?

Rainbow-Six-Siege-Year-2-Cover.jpg

This is the roadmap they sold season passes on.

Doesn't matter if the season pass is only for early access to operators, it was based on this roadmap, and now they haven't just delayed it, they've actually canned content that was part of it.

People have a legitimate right to complain or even ask for their money back imo.

They may as well ditch Siege and move on. They're never going to be at the stage where they can achieve this game's potential. They're clearly a small team struggling to fix this thing and they can't even deliver the DLC they promise let alone expand or build the game into the COD and Battlefield level behemoth it deserves to be.

Doesn't matter if the season pass is only for early access to operators, it was based on this roadmap, and now they haven't just delayed it, they've actually canned content that was part of it.

People have a legitimate right to complain or even ask for their money back imo.

They may as well ditch Siege and move on. They're never going to be at the stage where they can achieve this game's potential. They're clearly a small team struggling to fix this thing and they can't even deliver the DLC they promise let alone expand or build the game into the COD and Battlefield level behemoth it could be.

No, this is what they sold the Season pass on:

The only actual content in there is the early access to 8 new operators, which will still come and but have been delayed.

The roadmap was a general content plan for all players. It being delayed and a map missing isn't them screwing over people that paid for something and aren't getting it. Remember that people who bought the original game only had the promise of year 1 content, and year 2 was added in addition to that for free.

Kraq

This was much needed, as releasing any further DLC would have left a bad taste in my mouth, much like I assume it would have done so for many others. Random disconnections, rubber banding, the ridiculous lag in the menus, endless maintenances that overextend how long they're supposed to be up, the poor netcode that rewards peekers, the gamebreaking Hibana glitch, the menus ingame glitching so that I can't mute anybody, and just today I logged on to find the camos and charms on my guns had been unequipped for seemingly no reason.

Siege is perhaps the best multiplayer game I've ever played and is without a doubt, the most significant game to come out of Ubisoft since Assassin's Creed 2. It's obvious Ubisoft did not expect it to become as popular as it is, which is why we're getting these problems. But the fact that they're withholding further DLC to improve upon the health of the game is a very positive sign.

They may as well ditch Siege and move on. They're never going to be at the stage where they can achieve this game's potential. They're clearly a small team struggling to fix this thing and they can't even deliver the DLC they promise let alone expand or build the game into the COD and Battlefield level behemoth it deserves to be.

What content did they can? The map is not part of the season pass and is available to everyone who owns Siege at the same time.

Top Bottom