• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Japanese Recruitment Ad Says Something Vague About A PS4 Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Rumor] Atlus to Release Sequel to 4th Numbered Game for the PS4, According to Job Listing? Couldn't fit the title.

According to a recent Atlus job application description, a sequel to a popular series of the company's which has reached the number ”4" could be planned for a PlayStation 4 release.

In the wake of a recruitment drive for Atlus, Japanese employment agency WorkPort posted a job listing which does not mention Atlus by name, but implicitly points to the company, specifically through a list of notable projects the company has worked on:

Company Characteristics

[Business Overview]

Planning, development, manufacturing, and sale of consumer games.

[Business Case]

”Persona" series
”Shin Megami Tensei" series
”Catherine"
”Devil Survivor" series
Described as a contractor programming position for the creation of a new console game IP, the position is presumably for Studio Zero, responsible for the development of Project Re Fantasy.

However, the general description for the company in question alludes to the sequel of another title of theirs:

The company continues to reach the heart of core fans and continues to develop one-of-a-kind games in the industry, with ”empathy" and ”originality" as its policy. The company's biggest hit, with strong brand power, has had numbered releases up to 4, and its sequel will also be released for the PS4.

With Persona 5 and Etrian Odyssey V having originally released last year, the assumption would be that the description is talking about a sequel to Shin Megami Tensei IV planned for a PS4 release, which would be the previously announced Shin Megami Tensei HD for the Nintendo Switch.

While Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey is explicitly labeled as a ”3DS Project" on the official website, the upcoming console SMT game is labeled as an ”HD Project," which has brought speculation that the game could come to platforms other than the Switch.

However, as sokuho@hokanko writes, it is possible that this is a mistake or outdated text from a third-party responsible for the description of this job application, and that the ”sequel" referred to would have been Persona 5 for the PS4, following Persona 4.

IIRC the extended trailer Atlus showed on stream didn't have a Switch logo.

Lock if old.

salromano

Quoting my other post.

Job listing is likely for Studio Zero, because it's for a new IP. The company in the listing is private, but mentions its past works include Persona, SMT, etc. so it's obviously Atlus. In describing the company, the listing says 'This company's greatest hit has currently released up to its 4th title, and its sequel is also planned for release on PS4,' which is where people are getting the SMT5 PS4 suggestion. But the likely scenario is that they're just using old copy from before Persona 5 released. SMT is good, but I think as far as Atlus' greatest hit goes in terms of sales, it's Persona. It also would be weird for them to just randomly throw PS4 in there instead of or without Switch. Regardless, I think SMT5 is multiplatform anyway. I mean the site itself calls it an HD Project instead of a Switch Project, whereas DSJ is called a 3DS Project, not Handheld Project.

Lifeline

Isn't their biggest hit or most well known game Persona. It's clearly talking about Persona 5. Probably copied and pasted from a old listing and someone forgot to update that part.

Could be a Persona 4 Golden Port or any of the spin offs or even could be outdated and referring to some Persona 5 spin offs.

Hopefully we start getting some news on this at E3.

kewlmyc

So the switch project isn't SMTIV? Okay...

Well, unless that was just a CG trailer, and they have barely started the project.

The text is ambiguous since, as mentioned in the OP, it could have been referring to Persona 5. That aside, SMT HD is probably a Switch/PS4 multiplat and then it could also be for Project Re: Fantasy. I guess there's a tiny chance of a fast-tracked non-Hashino Persona 6 but that would probably depend on them having a high amount of pre-production work done, so it's probably one of those other two. Plus I'd imagine P5 Crimson or another spinoff would come out first.

Lunar15

The SMT teaser highly points towards a Switch & PS4 release. The fact that it was introduced during the switch presentation, yet atlus continues to call it "HD Project" instead of "Switch Project" is a good indicator that it'll be multi platform.

EDIT: Reading more, there's more to this than meets the eye. Not sure what they're referring to: probably just staffing up in general.

CSX

You can never have enough SMT

Plus those Persona 5 assets are ready to be recycled over and over :D

kewlmyc

Think it was just a CG trailer. They mentioned in the presentation that development had just started.

Makes sense then. Someone pointed out that all the demons there other than Odin where ripped straight from P5 in that trailer, idle stances and everything.

If this is really SMT 5, I really hope they move away what they did with 4 and 4A. For me 4 was just okay, and while 4A made improvements it still didn't hook me like the previous 3. Though I haven't finished 4A, so maybe it gets better.

It's either
-Weirdly worded P5/spin off (plausible)
-SMTV (plausible)
- The Fantasy RPG (see above)
- P6 (lol)

But they've been bulking up their teams in general lately. Now that so many demons are done, both SMT and Persona can be fast tracked, and could each have another entry out on the PS4 before the end of the generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom