• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All Official Thread

The Official ‘Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All’ Thread

Box Art

933086_75655_front.jpg

Genre: Adventure
Release Date (NA): 16/1/2006 (1/16/2006)
Platform: Nintendo DS (Originally Nintendo Gameboy Advance)

Premise

In this game, you play a defense attorney known to all and sundry as Phoenix Wright, a man with a talent for spotting contradictions. He’ll need to put that talent to full use as he is presented with case after case in which his client is already all but declared guilty. It’s your job to help out Mr. Wright in his quest to prove the innocence of his clients.

Gameplay:

Gameplay is split up into two main sections, Investigation and Trial.

933086_20060923_screen012.jpg

During Investigations, you wander around crime scenes and other areas of interest in a 1st-person view, talking with people and investigating the area to find anything that might be of aid to you in your case. A series of commands that can be entered through the D-pad or the Touch Screen such as ‘Talk’ that brings up a series of subjects you can question someone about, or ‘Present’, in which you can show something you believe might be of interest to the person you’re talking to.

phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-2-20060510021250666.jpg

Many people consider the trials to be the meat of the game. In here, you have to use the information you’ve acquired during the Investigation to prove your client innocent – or, failing that, to create enough reasonable doubt that your client doesn’t get declared guilty immediately. How does one accomplish this? Through a Cross Examination, of course.

A witness will be called to the stand to testify about what transpired during the crime. Of course, the majority of said testimony makes your client look like the guilty party. Using evidence you’ve picked up during the Investigation, show it to the witness at a vital point in the testimony to damage their credibility. (i.e. At a point where the witness states that the crime occurred at night, present an autopsy report which states the victim died at 11. a.m.)

If you’ve played the original game, known as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, you’ll note that the gameplay is extremely similar. Indeed it is, except for a few significant changes.

What’s New:

933086_20060923_screen010.jpg

Psyche-Locks: At certain points during Investigation, you’ll run into rather frustrating witnesses who simply refuse to spill on what they know. Well, that’s not going to be very conducive to your efforts to clear your client’s name, so you have to figure out a way to worm the information out of them.

You do this via a mystical item known as the Magatama. When presented to someone, it allows Phoenix to see the ‘locks’ the victim is keeping around a secret (hence the term ‘Psyche-Lock’) initiates a sequence almost like a mini-trial. At points in the conversation, Phoenix will have to present the necessary evidence to break down the psychological barriers of the person he is talking to. Succeeding nets you more juicy information, while failing… well…

Life Bars:: That’s right. Gone are the standard ‘one penalty fits all’ punishments of the original Phoenix Wright. In JFA, he has a lifebar that takes damage depending on the severity of his screwup. As seen in the above screenshot, the glowing yellow portion is how much you’ll have to pay should you mess up. Wasting the court’s time by asking the witness useless questions can cut off a sliver of your life, failing to present the correct evidence at the critical juncture could annihilate your entire lifebar.

The lifebar carries over from day to day of courtroom trials, and is also at stake during Psyche-Lock sessions. The only way to recover it (aside from winning the trial, of course), is to complete a Psyche-Lock session, in which case up to half your lifebar will be restored.

Profiles: Another addition is that now you can present character profiles as well. Thus, instead of showing an item strongly linked to a certain person (such as, say, Phoenix’s Attorney’s Badge), you can simply present the relevant profile (Phoenix Wright) and have the person you’re facing react. Keep that in mind, or you could end up confused during the game.

The Cast:

Phoenix Wright (Ryuuichi Naruhudo)
naruhodo.png

“There are no words to describe how screwed I am.”

The main protagonist, Phoenix Wright is a rather easy-going guy with a fondness for showing off his Attorney’s Badge. While he may mess up a lot in court, when the chips are down, he can be counted on to prove his client innocent.

Maya Fey (Mayoi Ayasato)
mayoi.png

“Ha ha ha. I’m warning you! I’m not the same weak Maya you knew a year ago, Nick!”

Phoenix’s assistant, and a Spirit-Medium in training, Maya frequently helps ‘Nick’ out in his investigations and court trials. Though she can be rather goofy and excitable, she’s extremely loyal and Phoenix is glad to have her as an ally.

Pearl Fey (Harumi Ayasato)
harumi.png

“You can see it, can’t you, Mr. Nick? The ‘lock’ on the person’s heart.”

Maya Fey’s 8 year old cousin, Pearl Fey grew up in the remote village of Kurain, and up until her appearance, has never once set foot outside it. Thought initially wary of Phoenix, he soon earns her trust, and she teaches him about the basic of Psyche-Locks.

Franziska von Karma (Mei Karuma)
mei.png

“I care about one thing only: My perfect case.”

The primary prosecutor of this game and Manfred von Karma’s daughter, Franziska von Karma is a self-proclaimed perfectionist. She is never seen without a whip, and much like her father, will go to any means to ensure a ‘Guilty’ verdict is handed out. She also seems to desire revenge against Phoenix, though her purpose for doing so is still unclear.

Dick Gumshoe (Keisuke Itonokogiri)
itonoko.png

“H-hey, I know! I’ll show you something cool! How’s this? It’s a real, genuine pistol…”

A detective who works closely with the prosecution, he’s the primary police officer that Phoenix runs into whenever something bad (such as a murder) happens. While enthusiastic and hardworking, he isn’t exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

Miles Edgeworth (Reiji Misturugi)
mitsurugi.png

A prosecutor and Phoenix’s rival of sorts in the first game, Edgeworth is conspicuously absent in the sequel to the original. What has happened to him is anyone’s guess…

So, who's excited for this game?

painey

I beat it already.. wasnt as good as Ace Attorney but was alot longer even without a bonus 5th case. Cant wait for the next one!

klee123

Played it, loved it. Thinking about buying the US version as well just to increase the chances of Phoenix Wright 3 being translated(which apparantly is the best game of the trilogy).

Aurora

painey said:
wasnt as good as Ace Attorney
Quoted for truth.

The only case I enjoyed was the last one, the others were predictable and just not that interesting. Having said that it's still a good game, and I can't wait for the 3rd installment.

klee123

Aurora said:
Quoted for truth.

The only case I enjoyed was the last one, the others were very predictable and just not that interesting. Having said that it's still a good game, and I can't wait for the 3rd installment.

I thought case 2 was quite good. Case 1 and 3 were kinda averge tho I admit. Case 4 was just classic. On par with Case 4 and 5 on AA

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I was going to make an official thread, but nice job with this one.

Justice for all is a better game, IMO.

JFA vs. Ace Attorney:

JFA Case 1 >>>>>>>> AA Case 1
JFA Case 2 >>>>>> AA Case 2
JFA Case 3 = JFA Case 3 (Classic filler case)
JFA Case 4 >>>>>>>> AA Case 4 (and I LOVED AA case 4. It's that good.)

Music is not as good as the first game (especially the turnabout theme), but it does grow on you.

Game is much longer than the original game without case 5, a bit shorter with.

Of course, I would have loved a new case for the DS, but I understand it was a quick port and all is forgiven provided they hurry with number 3 stateside.

I dunno about the health bar function. I despised losing since I had to restart entire portions of the case. Skipping tons of dialogue is a real pain.
It'll probably work out in the end though.

jvalioli

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I dunno about the health bar function. I despised losing since I had to restart entire portions of the case. Skipping tons of dialogue is a real pain.
It isn't that much different from the ! system.
Well, except when the judge wants to take like half the bar.

BorkBork

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Just save often, preferably everytime before you have to present something.

nubbe

I'd probably give JFA a 6 of 10.

It didn't feel nearly as satisfying as AA. I really missed a fifth case since the fourth was the only one which was expansive and dramatic, the other ones felt more like tutorials.

Another annoying thing is how the health bar don't refill during a long court session which can make some parts be really tedious on trail and error repeating.
The music in the court turnabout feels much less rewarding and dramatic, which is a big let down for me since it was a big part of the last game for me.
Far too much reliance on old characters too.

I would only recommend this game to those who liked the first Ace Attorney game and not to new players... They are better served playing AA.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I just opened my import copy last night... started the first trial! Can't wait to play through the rest of it!

I hope it sells very well in the US(I'll buy another copy to support the cause)... that way we can see PW3!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
LiveWire said:
Is a Phoenix Wright game coming to Wii? I'd like to play one of these but I don't want to buy a DS.
You got a Wii before a DS? That's like getting a PSP before a PS2.

Rexaur

I've been playing through Ace Attorney, and just got a new DS Lite to replace my fatty, and I know that the "Take That" and "Objection" microphone commands work, but the "Hold It" command doesn't seem to.

I can't remember if it used to on my original DS, so I'm wondering if it may be my Lite.

Oh and I'm supporting the game, got it pre-ordered (as well as Hotel Dusk).

Alts

"automatically amazing"

Played and beat my import a couple months ago, and I thought it was solid. The fourth case is easily my favorite case of the past two games. I probably won't bother playing through it again, but I am getting the NA release in the hopes of seeing PW3.

Also, I'm glad they decided to use the Japanese boxart, jsut with English text. The previous mockups were really ugly.

Reikon

I really need to find time to play this. I've had the Japanese version for months now...

I still have the US version preordered though. :D Can't wait.

BorkBork

The localization is different, but good. There're a lot of pop culture references which are genuinely funny. The only major problem was the amount of grammatical errors in the translation, which hopefully Capcom took these last few months to fix up.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BorkBork said:
The localization is different, but good. There're a lot of pop culture references which are genuinely funny. The only major problem was the amount of grammatical errors in the translation, which hopefully Capcom took these last few months to fix up.
They confirmed they did.

Tsubaki

BorkBork said:

What grammatical errors? I noticed 5-6 spelling errors, but that's about it.

BorkBork

Tsubaki said:
What grammatical errors? I noticed 5-6 spelling errors, but that's about it.

There were a lot. Mostly silly things that could have been fixed by a quick readover.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mejilan said:
Shit yeah, preordered with bonus stylus on its way!

How long does Capcom normally take to ship? I'm close as hell to you, too.

Yeah, the translator change blows, and there's been some ho-humming, but I'm s till stoked as hell. Totally cannot wait.

tetsuoxb

SnakeXs said:
How long does Capcom normally take to ship? I'm close as hell to you, too.

Yeah, the translator change blows, and there's been some ho-humming, but I'm s till stoked as hell. Totally cannot wait.

There are very talented translators who do not have the initials AOS (although the man deserves a great deal of credit for his wonderful work)... The reviews of the localization of Justice For All have all been pretty positive up until this point, so I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom