• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
jluedtke said:
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered it from Amazon w/2 day shipping. It'll be here by Thursday. Another game sold by NeoGAF!

Careful. Amazon is posting the game will not ship until the 29th if you read the form carefully before you submit your order.

EDIT: Correction. They have switched it back to the 24th. Nevermind.

Welp I found the game on a random trip to Wal-mart so whoopee and all that.

I turned it on and messed with it a bit while ripping CDs to my 360. I opened up the ingame notepad and drew some random stuff on it and then played Rumble Roses XX for the rest of the night. :(

Anyway great game big recommendation AAA+++ five stars buy it now look rare etc etc.

(Serious impressions later..not sure when..but sometime...soon?)

EDIT: ARRRGGGGGHHHHH

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Welp I found the game on a random trip to Wal-mart so whoopee and all that.

I turned it on and messed it with a bit while ripping CDs to my 360. I opened up the ingame notepad and drew some random stuff on it and then played Rumble Roses XX for the rest of the night. :(

Anyway great game big recommendation AAA+++ five stars buy it now look rare etc etc.

(Serious impressions later..not sure when..but sometime...soon?)

whut.

duckroll said:
Just started Chapter 4 (7pm to 8pm) and it's a really well written adventure game. I'm already over 5 hours in the game, so as long as you're not playing with a guide or something it looks to be of a pretty decent length.
How do you solve that damn
circuit breaker
puzzle?

duckroll said:
Flip both switches at the same time. Use your fingers instead of the touchpen. :D
SON OF A BITCH I KEPT TRYING THAT AND TRYING THAT AND TRYING THAT
THE DS TOUCH SCREEN DOESN'T SUPPORT TWO INPUTS ARGH HOW IS THAT EVEN THE ANSWER

Edit: aaaaand... it doesn't work.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, so I got the game and I started playing it. I love the visual style and the story thus far. Writing seems really good. So far it's really good. I love how you can open your notebook and take notes anywhere.

duckroll

Kobun Heat said:
SON OF A BITCH I KEPT TRYING THAT AND TRYING THAT AND TRYING THAT
THE DS TOUCH SCREEN DOESN'T SUPPORT TWO INPUTS ARGH HOW IS THAT EVEN THE ANSWER

Beats me, that's what I tried and it worked! :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The Mighty Schwein said:
The local gamestop did not receive the game today. Also, the EB/GS.com web site has changed it's status to backordered. WTF?

Guess I'll be trying wal mart.

The official press release from Nintendo says Hotel Dusk will be available January 24th at retail. Someone needs to let Best Buy know. They are still saying the 29th.

If I ever meet someone from CING, just as a test, I am going to hand them this

paperbag9wm.jpg

and then ask them to see if they can design their way out of it.

That puzzle was ridiculous. Whoever brought up the Blade Runner bridge earlier, that's exactly what this is. You can try the solution fifty times and it just doesn't work. You have to keep trying and trying and trying until by some miracle it actually works right. Bullshit.

Oddly, just out of curiosity I tried the puzzle on the DS Phat's touch screen (which I assume every reviewer used) and it worked, like every other time. 50% is still a dismal success rate, but I think it's significantly easier on that touch screen.

duckroll

There's nothing wrong with the puzzle. I just found out EXACTLY how it works. :lol

Basically when you're on the map at any time, try pressing two points on the touchscreen at the same time. You'll notice it DOES work, but the actual "detection" point is the middle point between both imprints. So I believe they simply set the solution to be flicking the point BETWEEN both switches. But if you press both switches individually at the same time and flick up, you get the same effect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, one thing I don't really understand.

Kyle is talking to Louie and he doesn't let on that he isn't a cop anymore. But when you question Louie on the "different vibe," eventually Kyle says, "I changed jobs and changed outfits," or something like that...but Louie doesn't seem to have any issue with that. I JUST said before that I was here on official work duty. Doesn't it make sense that he'd be interested in me "changing jobs"?

Edit: And that path just leads to Game Over anyway. Hmph.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
jluedtke said:
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered it from Amazon w/2 day shipping. It'll be here by Thursday. Another game sold by NeoGAF!
Best of luck in a speedy delivery, but don't hold your breath ... mine was supposed to arrive on the 24th originally, until I got an update e-mail this AM.

Amazon.com Order Status said:
Order Placed: January 21, 2007
Amazon.com order number: XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX
Order Total: $29.63

Shipment #1: Shipping Soon We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed. Need information on returning an item?

Delivery estimate: January 30, 2007 (More about estimates)

Shipping Address:
removed

Shipping Speed:
Two-Day Shipping
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Items Ordered Price
1 of: Hotel Dusk: Room 215 [Video Game] $29.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/sad in pants

Ah well, at least the other half of my order has already shipped --- EBA to the rescue!

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Okay, one thing I don't really understand.

Kyle is talking to Louie and he doesn't let on that he isn't a cop anymore. But when you question Louie on the "different vibe," eventually Kyle says, "I changed jobs and changed outfits," or something like that...but Louie doesn't seem to have any issue with that. I JUST said before that I was here on official work duty. Doesn't it make sense that he'd be interested in me "changing jobs"?

Edit: And that path just leads to Game Over anyway. Hmph.

Actually he does catch on as the conversation went on, at least for me. I just bullshitted that I changed departments. In general Louie isn't that interested in connecting the dots as far as stuff linked to his past is concerned, but he's not completely stupid. The game has like a gazillion branches based on which questions you ask in what order and so on anyway, it's pretty interesting.

Hmm Kobun. That puzzle worked for me like the 3rd time I tried it, so I just figured I was timing it wrong or something. I'm glad you got past it though, believe me sometimes getting stuck on puzzles is just infuriating. One night I went to bed because one of the puzzles had baffled me, and as I was drifting off to sleep I figured it out and couldn't wait to pass it :)

Hope you have more luck with the upcoming ones! Very enjoyable game and I think many people may be surprised by how much text there is... Thank goodness the translation is awesome.

SumGamer

Just strat chapter 5, this game's story is truly amazing, I cant imagine how its all gonna end. But does anyone feel this game is linear like I do? I mean there are lots of room but why the hell nobody in it then somone came out of the room seconds later. Its kinda lame. But again great story and puzzle love it so far.

To Kobun Heat
Did you make sure the cursor is align with the red indicator in the middle, I think that's where it check the thing. I got it after about five minutes and I'm on DSPhat so :/

I got kicked out three times so far.
Stupid crowbar goes back to Freeman!!

ant1532

Banned
ant1532 said:
Anyone get this at Best Buy? I want to know if they have it, I'm on hold with them right now on the phone...
AHHH!!!! THEY WON'T PICK UP THE PHONE!!!

Please if anyone got it at Best Buy please tell me.

Mejilan said:
It's the same as in Trace Memory/Another Code. When a chapter ends, there is a recap of major events that plays out as the main character's recollections. You have to select the right answer in a multiple choice quiz-type setup.

Anything like how Famicom Detective Club does it?

Also, I hate GamePro's review. Tell me Mejilan, do you think Hotel Dusk is more complicated or confusing than the best point and click adventures?

SumGamer said:
Just strat chapter 5, this game's story is truly amazing, I cant imagine how its all gonna end. But does anyone feel this game is linear like I do? I mean there are lots of room but why the hell nobody in it then somone came out of the room seconds later. Its kinda lame. But again great story and puzzle love it so far.

If I saw a guy that looked like Hyde knocking on my door, I wouldn't open it either :lol

Thanks for the impressions

metroid23

Wow. Every GS/EB I've called today about it has changed their story from yesterday of "it shipped today, it'll be here on Tuesday" to "we don't have shipping information and I'm not going to tell you anything." and they're being total a-holes about it, too!

In fact, I had one guy tell me that "everyone is playing the japanese version."

Sad.

ant1532

Banned
metroid23 said:
Wow. Every GS/EB I've called today about it has changed their story from yesterday of "it shipped today, it'll be here on Tuesday" to "we don't have shipping information and I'm not going to tell you anything." and they're being total a-holes about it, too!

Sad.
:lol

I'm hearing the same thing.

ant1532

Banned
I'm playing Trace Memory because I don't have Hotel Dusk. T_T

(Started a new file but I've only played 30 min in when I got it but then was real busy so I couldn't play and I forgot the story)

So how long is this game again? I heard real real short.

If you want a game quickly, don't order it from Amazon.com. They rarely ship on the date it's released, and if you pick free shipping, they often will deliberately delay the order for a few days just to penalize you. (They may have stopped this practice, but it was in effect for a while this year when I tried to order a game from them. After 3 days of not shipping and it being in stock, I finally looked and saw that disclaimer about the delay for free shipping).

metroid23 said:

Sad.
Yeah. I got the same runaround from EBStop. Then I just walked in to Wal-Mart, saw it stacked up beneath the other games, and got it for $5 cheaper.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thrilled that so many are enjoying. :)

Bummed that so many more at getting the run-around. :(

Jonnyram said:
That would make sense, since Another Code had the same structure. I think the series is supposed to be a trilogy isn't it?

No. Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk have absolutely nothing to do with each other, save that both belong to the same genre, both were made by CING, and both were published by Nintendo.

Trace Memory takes place on some island in the near future, whereas Hotel Dusk takes place in Bumble-****-ville, USA in 1979. Story-wise, they almost couldn't be any more different, considering.

lessthanthree said:
How do I get the suitcase open and what do I use? Paper clip didn't work.

I will say that you'll be able to find heavier wire in your very room, but you'll need a special tool in order to secure it, first.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Anything like how Famicom Detective Club does it?

Also, I hate GamePro's review. Tell me Mejilan, do you think Hotel Dusk is more complicated or confusing than the best point and click adventures?

No clue what Famicom Detective Club is. I don't import or play text-heavy Japanese games. Eh... it's not even close to being as complicated as the toughest point and click adventures, since this game's puzzles actually seem to be grounded in real-life logic.

dream

There's a fan-translated version of Famicom Detective Club and it's awesome.

Hotel Dusk feels a lot like Famicom Detective Club with a far better UI.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I'll check it out. I've experienced way too many terrible fan-translations, however.

Mirimar

Just picked this up at walmart as well. It's not even labeled for sale, it was just sitting on the bottom of the rack, probably waiting for the official sale date for it to actually be displayed properly. Can't wait to give it a go. Still need to put up my import version of Justice for All on Craigslist and hope someone buys it =( Such a disappointing game aside from the last case.

keanerie

DenogginizerOS said:
Careful. Amazon is posting the game will not ship until the 29th if you read the form carefully before you submit your order.

EDIT: Correction. They have switched it back to the 24th. Nevermind.

My order from Amazon just shipped. I've had it pre-ordered since the 18th. Should be in tomorrow: Hooray for overnight shipping!

I grabbed it and just started the game. Seems fun so far but my hand writing looks like crap in the notepad. How much will I be using that pad? It only has three pages.

I tried pre-ordering this at GS a few weeks ago and it wasn't in the system. Then I went over to the store today and what do you know "Only enough for pre-orders." Hopefully NWS has some more in stock tomorrow.

Trace Memory bombed but Nintendo really should have kept their eye on this one. Adventure games are often a test of patience which seems to be true with this game as well, but I think the art style and novel comparisons would catch the eye of that older crowd that Nintendo is trying to reach.

SumGamer

DoctorWho said:
I grabbed it and just started the game. Seems fun so far but my hand writing looks like crap in the notepad. How much will I be using that pad? It only has three pages.

Same here I try to use the line as a guideline to keep my handwriting small and readable. You could use the real pad for noting something. And I dont understand why the hell he carry a notebook with 3 pages in it
and yet some page magically appear when he decide to let someone write something on it

datruth29

DoctorWho said:
I found out that if you write just a bit slowly it comes out a lot better. Whenever I try to write to fast it skips alot and I wind up with a half letter.

MegaTen

Banned
I wonder what's up with the availability. I've seen ads for the game on at least a couple of gaming sites.. yet I can't even find the game, much less have any of the specialty store employees know what the game is.

Oneself

Got mine this afternoon, pretty good so far. I love the style and animations of characters. Some dialogues are a bit weird though.

ant1532

Banned
**** yes. I went to Best Buy and I didn't see any copies so I asked the only guy working if they got it and he said no and he was waiting on it too. But then I was walking around and he saw me again and he was carrying all these games and said "Yo! It came in!" and I got mine :D :D :D

Top Bottom