• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's the same as in Trace Memory/Another Code. When a chapter ends, there is a recap of major events that plays out as the main character's recollections. You have to select the right answer in a multiple choice quiz-type setup.

Mejilan

Woo! Finally got unstuck. Solution was totally staring at me in the face. Thought I had tried it before, to no avail, however. Strange.

Mejilan, you scared the hell outta me when you said you finished it.

Anyhoo, the game's good so far. I don't mind the slow text that much, it's kind of relaxing, like a Xanax but without having to come down afterwards. :D

datruth29

Mejilan said:
Damnit, I think I'm stuck again. :(
And hence the revelation of my love/hate relationship with Adventure games. :/ Man, I hope I don't get stuck for on one part for a long time. I remember when I was playing Blade Runner, there was a part where you have to cross a plank, and every time I tried to cross it broke and I died. I went back and forth, through every single part of the game, looking for what I miss. I went back and just clicked to the part where I was constantly falling on and some how just walked right by, no falling. -_- Lost nearly 4 hours of my life working on that...

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
datruth29 said:
And hence the revelation of my love/hate relationship with Adventure games. :/ Man, I hope I don't get stuck for on one part for a long time. I remember when I was playing Blade Runner, there was a part where you have to cross a plank, and every time I tried to cross it broke and I died. I went back and forth, through every single part of the game, looking for what I miss. I went back and just clicked to the part where I was constantly falling on and some how just walked right by, no falling. -_- Lost nearly 4 hours of my life working on that...

Blade Runner! So much potential, so goddamn close.. so annoying in the end.

datruth29

chespace said:
Blade Runner! So much potential, so goddamn close.. so annoying in the end.
Arg! How I loved and hated that game so much. Its amazing how it has a great training on shooting, and yet you only use your gun, what, 2 times?!?! I was expecting a much more climatic ending then it got, especially with the way it started. I was so frustrated,
I decided to take the route of blasting that guy in the face. >.<

Mejilan

Mr. Spinnington said:
WHY don't I have this game!

Because I got unstuck... and then stuck again 3 minutes later... AGAIN!

Chapter 2 5:40 is killing me, and it shouldn't be! :lol

datruth29

Mejilan said:
Because I got unstuck... and then stuck again 3 minutes later... AGAIN!

Chapter 2 5:40 is killing me, and it shouldn't be! :lol
I guarantee you its something so obvious, like right in your face obvious. It's always the same, no matter what Adventure game you play.

Mejilan

Problem is, I'm getting bored of wandering a hotel when everyone is locked in their rooms, not answering doors. You can only knock so much before you start going crazy. Still, I have access to a room I'm not supposed to be in, and I THOUGHT I did everything... but I still have access to it and I haven't triggered another event. So I suspect that I'm still missing something in that room, but I've BEEN OVER EVERYTHING inside.

I love these games. :D

pollo

Banned
reminds me of monkey island where all i had to do was think outside of the box.

I didnt know you could open the telescope you stole from Herman Toothrot so you could get the lens.

Was stuck for the lonnnnnnnnggeesttt time back when I was in third grade. I bought the official strategy guide from Lucas Arts. Had my dad phone them in and everything.

datruth29

Mejilan said:
Problem is, I'm getting bored of wandering a hotel when everyone is locked in their rooms, not answering doors. You can only knock so much before you start going crazy. Still, I have access to a room I'm not supposed to be in, and I THOUGHT I did everything... but I still have access to it and I haven't triggered another event. So I suspect that I'm still missing something in that room, but I've BEEN OVER EVERYTHING inside.

I love these games. :D
Damn, I wish I had the game with me right now, but me and my friend split half-half, and since he works night shift at his job, its his current time to play it. :( If its one thing about Adventure games, is that they require a lot of patience and a lot of going over things.

datruth29 said:
Damn, I wish I had the game with me right now, but me and my friend split half-half, and since he works night shift at his job, its his current time to play it. :( If its one thing about Adventure games, is that they require a lot of patience and a lot of going over things.
Night shift sucks, no way you could ever sell me on it.

Mejilan

renvi said:
I assume this game has a low replay value. still thinking about whether I should get this game.

From what I understand, the game has two endings depending on some decisions you make. It's possibly to get the better ending on your first playthrough, but you can "new game+" your file for a second playthrough (with sped up text) and potentially get an expanded version of the better ending. So, I guess, there are three.

Mejilan

Of course that's just what I hear. I haven't gotten all that far yet. (Perhaps 40% through Chapter 2.) I have learned that there are definitely more than 7 chapters though.

renvi

Banned
Mejilan said:
From what I understand, the game has two endings depending on some decisions you make. It's possibly to get the better ending on your first playthrough, but you can "new game+" your file for a second playthrough (with sped up text) and potentially get an expanded version of the better ending. So, I guess, there are three.
thanks for the info, dude
I might just go pick it up tomorrow.

datruth29

Mejilan said:
Oh man, thats just sweet if its true.

neptunes

2zid7w8.jpg

2j1k68k.jpg

2s76qhl.jpg

Jonnyram

Mejilan said:
That would make sense, since Another Code had the same structure. I think the series is supposed to be a trilogy isn't it?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So I went and pre-ordered the American version already, but does the Japanese version have English text, by any chance? I prefer the boxart.

duckroll

Picked it up today, just started. The art and graphics are really good, and there seems to have a heavy focus on interactivity with both the environment and other characters. No comments on the puzzles or story yet since I'm really early in, but it looks like a solid effort from the presentation alone.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Michael Donahoe (the one at who gave Hotel Dusk a 10 in EGM) is also pimping it in his blog.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
datruth29 said:

Holy crap, I was stuck there too.

In reply to what you talked about using the gun:

I always shot the homeless people, though.

Chapter 2 question: how the fuck do I
turn the breakers on in the power room? Do I have to use some item, or is there a certain way to hit them simultaneously?

teiresias

You know what would be great? A kind of Silent Hill sidestory game done in this style on the DS - with appropriately moody graphics and artstyle.

Mejilan said:
Of course that's just what I hear. I haven't gotten all that far yet. (Perhaps 40% through Chapter 2.) I have learned that there are definitely more than 7 chapters though.
Yipes it took me just over 2 hours to get through the first chapter. I guess this game will be around 14 hours for me then if every chapter is equal in length.

I actually got a game over in chapter 2, that was a shock. I did get stuck in the very beginning of chapter 2
with the damn whistling. I didn't know what the hell room in came from because no one was answering their doors and I never thought of looking in the linen room.

this made me very happy to see. This is amazons top 5

DS:

1. Hotel Dusk: Room 215—Nintendo
2. Kirby Squeak Squad—Nintendo
3. Brain Age—Nintendo
4. Mario Kart DS—Nintendo
5. New Super Mario Bros.—Nintendo

duckroll

Man, the conversation system in the game is REALLY good. Not only are most conversations branching, but even the order you ask questions in affect the branches. It's really cool. The puzzle have been pretty good so far too. I'm in Chapter 2 still, the time is 5:40, so the chapter isn't over yet. Really interesting game. Great translation too.

RaidenZR

I played like 20 minutes last night before my brain took over and I had to crash hardcore (much needed sleep). What I played I loved. The tone, music, interface and execution were all excellent. I was surprised by how much the dialogue was branching and how involved the story was right from the get go. This is an admirable leap up from Trace Memory in all ways.

Looking forward to spending lots more time with it tonight but my early impressions are HIGHLY favorable.

Blame!

AlternativeUlster said:
Man that really does look like me. Instant purchase on Thursday when I get paid for sure.

301587761_l.jpg

did you post a pic of yurself just to show us how sexy you look? :lol

so should i pick up this game? seems like a frustrating experence, no?

teiresias

I cannot find this game locally AT ALL! Gamecrazy tells me they MAY have some on Wednesday, the one Best Buy I can get to doesn't have it, and the website still shows it as not having shipped yet.

Is it already going for like $80 on Ebay or something? This is stupid.

duckroll

Just started Chapter 4 (7pm to 8pm) and it's a really well written adventure game. I'm already over 5 hours in the game, so as long as you're not playing with a guide or something it looks to be of a pretty decent length.

jluedtke

Thanks to this thread, I just ordered it from Amazon w/2 day shipping. It'll be here by Thursday. Another game sold by NeoGAF!

Top Bottom