• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Official Hotel Dusk: Room 215 thread! Please enjoy your stay!

colinp

Banned
::patiently waiting for impressions::

kzkb1

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
The only question that needs answering as to this game's merit:

5.jpg

"Trans or res?"

Heh.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
TOOOONS of conversation. Unless something changes, this will indeed be more story than game. Still, it's good so far, and even the conversations are highly interactive. Some conversations trees actually dump you into a game over (so save often!)

I cannot, CANNOT believe that they didn't include an option to speed up the text scroll though. BLECH!!

Damn, the incidental animation is so QUALITY.

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Some conversations trees actually dump you into a game over (so save often!)

Do the convos that dump you into game over sensical? Maybe it makes more sense in the context of the game, but that seems a bit abrupt to me.

Thanks for the quick thoughts Meji! Keep up the good work!

I'm getting this tomorrow if my GS has it but how is the music and sound? The piano piece in the Japanese commercial is really beautiful but I assume it's only for the title screen/intro or something like that.

Wow, the main character is such an ASS. I'm talking to the first person and I can already tell he has an attitude problem.

The gameplay is great so far. I especially like the notebook feature, I jotted down a few notes already. The only thing is I wish you could save during conversations, they are a tad lengthy.

Mejilan

Yeah, Kyle's a total bastard! He's great! Speaking of asses, kinda surprised that they use it (as a mild expletive) in the game. That would be the T for Teens rating, I suppose.

Mild language, mild violence, and use of alcohol, apparently. Rock on.

colinp said:
Do the convos that dump you into game over sensical? Maybe it makes more sense in the context of the game, but that seems a bit abrupt to me.

Thanks for the quick thoughts Meji! Keep up the good work!

Haha, early on you introduce yourself to a bratty 10 year old girl. If you're particularly mean to her, you get thrown out of the hotel. Game over! Hahaha.

Music's nice in a simple, loungey, jazzy kinda way. Not my cup of tea, but it's of decent and clear quality.

bluemax

Banned
Crap this is out? Will it be hard to come by say in a week or so? I think I should hold off until I get paid...

colinp

Banned
Mejilan said:
Haha, early on you introduce yourself to a bratty 10 year old girl. If you're particularly mean to her, you get thrown out of the hotel. Game over! Hahaha.

Ah ok :lol that makes A LOT more sense.

Mejilan

Now for some gameplay. (Left-handed mode exists, for you worried lefties).

EVERYTHING is touchscreen/stylus driven. Grabbing someone's shoulder to get their attention, rattling a doorknob to check if it's locked or knocking on a door to see if someone's available. Turning a key in a lock, untwisting a paper clip in order to create a makeshift lockpick.

You don't merely select items from your inventory out of a list, you actually manipulate it to do what you think you want it to do.

Movement, conversations, jotting down your own personal notes, investigating various items or places of interest, going in for more details. All of it is done (and done quite well!) via the stylus and touchscreen.

Looking' goooood so far!

Bonus: Pop in the rumble cart and it'll grab your attention when something important is happening or being said (usually in a conversation)...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
-Rogue5- said:
Not a bad review for those of you still on the fence.

For those of you in Downtown Toronto, GameShack in the Atrium has about 4 copies left (As of 6:20pm Jan. 22nd.)

Two things about the review: 1) they mention old NES adventure games and choose to name Shadowgate over Deja Vu. Deja Vu had the same kind of atmosphere as hotel dusk seems to. They just fail!

And why do reviewers constantly complain about text in games? Why is text something to whine about! Reading is not bad!

Mejilan

Because in this game is scrolls so s...l...o...w...l...y... and you can't speed it up at all. Lame.

ant1532

Banned
Yes!! Finally I get to use my gift card at Best Buy finally. I'm kinda confused though because I was going to use it for a PSP game with a 5 bucks of any PSP coupon I got..

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Mejilan said:
Because in this game is scrolls so s...l...o...w...l...y... and you can't speed it up at all. Lame.

Oh crap... Well THAT does suck, no argument there. But the review didn't say that, they just whined about the amount and that really bugs me.

Are you sure you didn't miss it? I really do dislike slow scrolling text.

Mejilan

Not that many options under the System section of the notebook... Handedness and Rumble. So lame.

Oooh, Iris has a saucy look to her.

And holy crap at Kyle's dialogue here! :lol :lol :lol

Edit - "Why's the princess here?"

Reilly

The only thing I didn't like from my first impression is the beeping for the text. I mean, shit, I just sat through 50 hours of Okami :(

Mejilan

I've just finished it. Disappointing length. :(

--------------

Beeping isn't nearly as bad as Okami. Slow text-scroll speed kinda sucks ass though.

Ok, seriously, length. Dunno how many Chapters there are, I'm gonna guess 5. Chapter 1 spans 5:00pm to 5:30pm, and so far, has been broken up into 10 minute intervals. I'm at 5:20 now. It's not going by too quickly. I've been playing for perhaps an hour and a half now.

Edit - Post chapter multiple choice summaries. A Trace Memory thing, IIRC.

datruth29

Mejilan said:
I've just finished it. Disappointing length. :(

Beeping isn't nearly as bad as Okami. Slow text-scroll speed kinda sucks ass though.

Ok, seriously, length. Dunno how many Chapters there are, I'm gonna guess 5. Chapter 1 spans 5:00pm to 5:30pm, and so far, has been broken up into 10 minute intervals. I'm at 5:20 now. It's not going by too quickly. I've been playing for perhaps an hour and a half now.

Edit - Post chapter multiple choice summaries. A Trace Memory thing, IIRC.
Huh? You just confused me Mejilan. Did you finish the game or the 1st chapter?

Mejilan

datruth29 said:
Huh? You just confused me Mejilan. Did you finish the game or the 1st chapter?

Bad joke. I'm nowhere near done with the game. I did just finish Chapter 1, however.

Also, they had working beepers in 1979?

datruth29

Mejilan said:
Bad joke. I'm nowhere near done with the game. I did just finish Chapter 1, however.
Whew. You just scared me. I'm up to the 5:10 mark and I thought I was 1/3rd through. :p

Sure they had working beepers.....I think.....Possibly......

painey

I have ordered this as an import so I should be playing next week. Theres not too many DS games that appeal to me but this is one of them, does anyone know how long it takes to complete the full game?

Mejilan

datruth29 said:
Whew. You just scared me. I'm up to the 5:10 mark and I thought I was 1/3rd through. :p

Sure they had working beepers.....I think.....Possibly......

:lol

1/3 through chapter 1!

I wanted this so bad today. I've posted so much about it on my site, and followed it since the second it was announced. But...Ohio sucks. Can't find it anywhere.

Loving the impressions. Keep em coming!

Ugh, I'm not liking what I'm hearing about the main character being an "ass" and a "bastard". Baten Kaitos had a main character who was a jerk, too, and it was annoying as hell.

Updated with Nintendo Power review highlights. They don't understand adventure games. THey were surprised by backtracking...

hm.

Its good to see HDR215 at the number 9 spot on the amazon top selling games. Maybe there is some hope for this game sales wise...
who am I kidding

Mejilan

You get used to the text.

Hey button. That's not Franco. That's Louis DeNonno.

And Kyle, the hero of the story, is the jerk. Louis is just a punk.

Mejilan

Franco must be his name in the Japanese game... or that was just a beta or something.

Speaking of Louie (Hyde calls him Louie, though his name is really Louis), just had a pedo-moment! Talking about a girl named Mila, went something like this:

Louie: She's a total fox! You don't have a clue.
Hyde: I'm not interested in little girls, Louie.
Louie: See, that's what I mean. She's beautiful! She's like a butterfly, about too... break out of her coccoon!

Franco.jpg

"Butterfly"

Franco.jpg

"Butterfly"

Franco.jpg

"Butterfly"

:lol

I'm gonna play this some more tonight, but I'm liking it so far. The text scrolling is annoying, but at least it speeds up when you have to redo segments (if you are stupid and get kicked out).

I play with my left thumb on the R button, which you can use to scroll text in lieu of tapping the screen with the stylus.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kobun Heat said:
I'm gonna play this some more tonight, but I'm liking it so far. The text scrolling is annoying, but at least it speeds up when you have to redo segments (if you are stupid and get kicked out).

I play with my left thumb on the R button, which you can use to scroll text in lieu of tapping the screen with the stylus.
So it's like Phoenix Wright then? That's fine with me. At least it isn't like Okami, I almost didn't finish the game because of the text. :\

datruth29

Yeah, the text is kinda of slow. Although, its not gamebreaking slow. After a while, you get use to it, espcially during the really interesting parts where you want to take all the text in. And there's ALOT (and by ALOT I mean SHIT-TON) of text.

Remy said:
Dumb question: How many save slots does the game have?

3 Spots

keanerie

Son of a gun. I pre-order off Amazon, the game hasn't shipped yet. Now the page for the game lists it as shipping on the 25th (if someone were to place an order today). Seems like they're short on supply like everyone else.

Eteric Rice

****... You guys have convinced me not to skip this. I'm going to get FFVI first, but I'll get this after to support the adventure genre.

My wallet weeps. :(

Deku

Banned
The slow text speed might be to make sure people don't miss important text. I don't have the game yet though so It's just my guess. With with visual novels that allow for fast scrolling it's not unusual to get stuck by accident because you missed someone's message by scrolling past a clue. But yeah the hand holding is meh.

datruth29

Is it just me, or when you hold one of the face buttons, the text seems to go just a wee bit faster (playing left-hand).

The slow text speed might be to make sure people don't miss important text. I don't have the game yet though so It's just my guess. With with visual novels that allow for fast scrolling it's not unusual to get stuck by accident because you missed someone's message by scrolling past a clue. But yeah the hand holding is meh.

The clues usually don't get past you, as there some type of notification that informs you its important (red bolded text, background changes, sound notification, etc.)

Regardless, this is not a very action packed game. Definitely feels like reading a very good book, although they try there best to put in a lot of interaction (I really like the branching dialog).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is holding my dsl sideways going to break the hinge? i've already got a little crack, and i remember hearing that brain training puts stress on it.

datruth29

drohne said:
is holding my dsl sideways going to break the hinge? i've already got a little crack, and i remember hearing that brain training puts stress on it.
It shouldn't break it as long as you don't put considerable stress on the top screen. There's a nice little sweet spot right next to the hinges on the lower screen you could put your fingers at.You could also just hold it on the lower screens edge, or lay it on your palm.

Deku said:
This isn't spoilerish, but at the end of the first chapter (which I assume they are going to do with the other chapters) is recap the import parts of the chapter.

Eteric Rice said:
****... You guys have convinced me not to skip this. I'm going to get FFVI first, but I'll get this after to support the adventure genre.

My wallet weeps. :(
Make sure you want it first. It is some HEAVY reading. More of a text adventure then a point and click adventure, I'm not sure if today's gamers are used to this sort of stuff. I just beat the first chapter, and my interests to find out what is going to happen next is very high.

I hope this game sells well to warrant future games like this, it is a very nice change up from other types of games.

Top Bottom