• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint upgrades PSVR to 2.0

Codiox

Say what you want about PSVR or VR in general, Farpoint is some next level shit. I never EVER felt so immersive in a game, it's scary. The VR Aim Controller is a must have for shooters. This is the real deal. Played for 2 hours straight and am fucking done for today. This is so intense and exhausting but so much fun. And don't get me started on the online coop. I was literally screaming "from the left, the left!" like I was going to die in it.

I hope we will see more of this, truly a milestone in the VR history. This raises the bar.

RoyalFool

Banned
That's somewhat hyperbolic, it's a solid game and a really good showcase for what VR could do for FPS titles - but I'd say it just gives us a glimpse at what '2.0' could be rather than delivering anything substantial on that front.

Co-op mode is incredible, but it's sadly a very small part of a small game.

Amneisac

I'm really glad you liked it but I can't help feeling this could have been a post in an OT and not its own thread.

Also, that title made me think there was something substantially new to PSVR, not just a hype upgrade.

Tagyhag

The game looks cool (though not being able to turn a full 360 degrees like you can in Serious Sam VR is lame, it makes it seem like more of an arcade shooter than a full blown FPS in that regard) but while I've read here that it tracks better than regular Move controllers, it still doesn't seem to be as good as compared to infrared tracking. GRANTED, I still haven't tried the game. Just going by what I've seen.

Is it really that revolutionary compared to other VR tracking?

Geedorah

I'm really glad you liked it but I can't help feeling this could have been a post in an OT and not its own thread.

Also, that title made me think there was something substantially new to PSVR, not just a hype upgrade.

That's probably not a good thread title.

Title is so vague, and then when you figure out what OP is going for, it is hyperbole. Great job setting the stage for a conversation....

The game looks cool (though not being able to turn a full 360 degrees like you can in Serious Sam VR is lame, it makes it seem like more of an arcade shooter than a full blown FPS in that regard) but while I've read here that it tracks better than regular Move controllers, it still doesn't seem to be as good as compared to infrared tracking. GRANTED, I still haven't tried the game. Just going by what I've seen.

You can turn 360 degrees. It's disabled by default, but you can enable it to turn in increments or turn smoothly.

Briarios

Go into settings, there are several option including full dual stick control, which I use - with zero motion sickness, I might add. It works awesome.

Shin-Ra

I was literally screaming "to the left, the left!" like I was going to die in it.
Diedscratching.gif

Karak

Glad folks are digging it. Can't say I agree at all but I want VR to succeed so anyone happy is a plus.

Tratorn

The game itself is pretty boring imho, but yes the VR experience is nice. In 5-10 years there will be some really amazing things to play in VR, I'm already looking forward to that.

Damn, I came in here expecting some news about a firmware update.

But yes the aim controller is great. Farpoint is pretty good too.

Tagyhag

You can turn 360 degrees. It's disabled by default, but you can enable it to turn in increments or turn smoothly.

Go into settings, there are several option including full dual stick control, which I use - with zero motion sickness, I might add. It works awesome.

Oh sorry! I should have specified, I know you can turn in increments (though I didn't know about the stick turning, that's better) but turning by yourself. Like room scale turning.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I can't wait for VR arenas.

Huge hangars filled with infrared cameras to track mocap suits, and floors decked out with props to mimic the virtual levels.

Picture VR shootouts in actual levels you can run around in.

Forget e-Sports lol

The tournaments would be actual Sports events. Players will have to be military level good, and in great shape.

One day....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Me too lol.

Oh sorry! I should have specified, I know you can turn in increments (though I didn't know about the stick turning, that's better) but turning by yourself. Like room scale turning.

Honestly, I have no clue what direction I'm facing while playing, but it's NEVER been an issue with the way the controls/aim controller is designed.

Plus there's certainly some freedom turn away from the camera.

It's pretty damn nice overall.

WaterAstro

Title is fine. Anyone who thinks software physically changes the hardware is out of their mind.

I do want PSVR 2.0 though.

Alienous

I only have to pay, what, snother £60?

PSVR
Camera
2 Move Controllers that produce involuntary VR moment.

And now an actual proprietary controller.

I think I'll wait. We'll see this E3 if Sony is taking PSVR seriously.

Freeman76

There is so much hyperbole around this game because people are wowed by the controller. The game is as generic as they come, and yes the controller is really good but its the usual over excited gamers blowing it out of proportion. Its probably made worse because the VR is starved of full length games to be fair.

The hyperbole around how amazing it is, is because of the experience of an fps in vr and not the actual quality of the game. I just hope Sony champion this peripheral so we actually get some games that utilise it in inventive ways, rather than corridor after corridor of the same enemies.

I know there will be 100 gaffers slating me for how wrong i am, but we will see in a few days when the OT is buried and the game gathers dust because it has no replayability and for 75 quid we can expect more.

Tain

Not too shocked that this sounds like a great foundation and an okay everything else, but I have to wonder how great of a foundation it is compared to PC 360-degree roomscale games.

JoduanER2

There is so much hyperbole around this game because people are wowed by the controller. The game is as generic as they come, and yes the controller is really good but its the usual over excited gamers blowing it out of proportion. Its probably made worse because the VR is starved of full length games to be fair.

The hyperbole around how amazing it is, is because of the experience of an fps in vr and not the actual quality of the game. I just hope Sony champion this peripheral so we actually get some games that utilise it in inventive ways, rather than corridor after corridor of the same enemies.

I know there will be 100 gaffers slating me for how wrong i am, but we will see in a few days when the OT is buried and the game gathers dust because it has no replayability and for 75 quid we can expect more.

Im with you. The praise should mostly go to the hardware itself than to the game. At least thats what i think because i havent play the game but from what ive seen it looks like thats the case.

D23

haha at the thread title but i agree with OP.

this game is a game changer to FPS genre IMO.. and its all because of that aim controller.. my god that thing is fucking amazing.

Hmm maybe I missed it but I think many people in the main game thread praising the game already attribute a lot of it to the AIM so I don't know why you think a lot of people are overrating the game on its own especially compared to a Non-VR shooter (not that I'm that up on FPS games to follow a lot of those threads). I think most take it as a whole not one without the other.

Title is fine. Anyone who thinks software physically changes the hardware is out of their mind.

I do want PSVR 2.0 though.

Yeah, I think it's fine as intended as the combo of how hood the AIM is and how Farpoint mimicks it with the ingame weapon and character model really adds another level to the immersion so hopefully more fully support the device. Dual wielding with the moves is great and this is another jump above that and feels so good to use. Hopefully it's not wasted.

I only have to pay, what, snother £60?

PSVR
Camera
2 Move Controllers that are only good for Parkinson's simulators

And now an actual proprietary controller.

I think I'll wait. We'll see this E3 if Sony is taking PSVR seriously.

I find that offensive.. Parkinsons? Isnt anything to joke about. Anyway the move controllers are fine. Psvr is pretty awesome..

We'll see this E3 if Sony is taking PSVR seriously.

They've done a good job so far so yeah I hope they do give it another good segment again to show more people they're fully behind it since it's such a cool thing. Hopefully it being included with PS4 (unlike Vita) in Sony's 'How to watch E3 live' blog post is a good sign.

hank_tree

Played a couple of hours and it's only ok. Resident Evil 7 is a much better VR experience,

Farpoint is an average, basically on rails, VR shooter.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'll buy this accessory if I can find it for dirt cheap. Seems like it does improve the actual Farpoint experience according to the majority of actual user impressions. Almost all positive on this from what I've read so far.

reviews make it sound pretty meh. is it better than that dinosaur game...robinson's?
Seems to be a much better/meatier experience from Robinson based on what I've read so far. Robinson was considered trash by the majority if I'm not mistaken.

hank_tree

How is it on rails?

Do you know what on rails means?

Yes I do. In Farpoint you basically walk in a straight line.

If an enemy gets behind you, it runs in front of you so you can shoot it.

It's feels like an on rails game with the mind blowing addition of letting you choose when to move forward.

reviews make it sound pretty meh. is it better than that dinosaur game...robinson's?

Oh it's much better than that piece of garbage.

Briarios

It's feels like an on rails game with the mind blowing addition of letting you choose when to move forward.

You haven't played it, or you haven't played a significant amount of it. During the first boss battle, I was running around using cover, in a big open area. Sure, they have it focused in a certain direction for comfort issues, but it's definitely not on rails in any sense. Unless, you mean moving forward through a level is on rails ... The COD and Battlefield campaigns are on rails, too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'll buy this accessory if I can find it for dirt cheap. Seems like it does improve the actual Farpoint experience according to the majority of actual user impressions. Almost all positive on this from what I've read so far.

Seems to be a much better/meatier experience from Robinson based on what I've read so far. Robinson was considered trash by the majority if I'm not mistaken.

good to hear...having to buy another accessory after buying two move controllers is kind of a barrier to entry too :[

Top Bottom