• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint upgrades PSVR to 2.0

cakefoo

In VR I now think the future of FPSs is a gun-controller, and I hope someone comes up with a PC VR variant soon: that would be, IMO, in VR in general's best interests.
They already exist. There are all kinds of Vive rifles on ebay and DIY parts lists around the net. The best designs have a shoulder strap hook and quick releases so you can easily take the Vive remote(s) off to reload or use your knife/pistol/grenade, etc. And since the stock Vive controllers are almost universally supported, the rifle attachments just work without any extra dev time.

I thought there was a new psvr headset or something.

Hopefully will play it one day. I get motion sickness easily so VR is kind of scary to me

That hasn't been my experience at all. PS VR tracking is just very inconsistent across the board. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes it doesn't. The Aim controller isn't any better or worse.

Ya fair enough, youre not alone. I spent a lot of time perfecting my setup and I dont have issues with tracking but I did initially when I just slapped the camera where they told me and left all the windows open etc. Blackout blinds, dimmer switch, and camera on a mic stand has solved it for me.

No matter the controller, the worst I have to do is give it a slight shake to get it back square again.

gmoran

They already exist. There are all kinds of Vive rifles on ebay and DIY parts lists around the net. The best designs have a shoulder strap hook and quick releases so you can easily take the Vive remote(s) off to reload or use your knife/pistol/grenade, etc. And since the stock Vive controllers are almost universally supported, the rifle attachments just work without any extra dev time.

I meant official, so that Vive and CV1 both have official setups that forms a two handed gun controller. However it doesn't have to be official as long as a standard emerges.

Essentially we want a two handed gun controller to become a defacto standard for VR FPS; so Devs will support us VR players to have lots of ace FPSs to play.

Listonosh

Hyperbole or not, Farpoint does seem to be a gamechanger for some. Had a buddy try it out over the weekend, and as soon as more guns came into play, like the shotgun, with the ability to switch, and tactically switch guns depending on the situation, not to mention how good the actual controller feels and reacts in your hands, he was 100% sold on PSVR, and immediately went to look up bundles.

It's definitely subjective so I'm not knocking those that feel differently, but I will agree that Farpoint is the showcase for my PSVR right now, and one of the most impressive titles for the platform that I own.

It raises the bar for PSVR, but not for VR overall. Vive owners have been enjoying this type of experience since last year, but with 1:1 360 roomscale tracking and rifle stocks with quickly detachable/re-attachable controllers.
Show me a FPS on Vive that is anywhere near as well made as Farpoint. Sure, Vive is technically superior, and with a powerful enough computer, can run way better than a PS4 Pro, but where are the games?

And this apparent obsession with teleporting in Vive games is a disincentive for me.

cakefoo

Show me a FPS on Vive that is anywhere near as well made as Farpoint. Sure, Vive is technically superior, and with a powerful enough computer, can run way better than a PS4 Pro, but where are the games?

And this apparent obsession with teleporting in Vive games is a disincentive for me.
I don't think any single game on Vive is going to be better made than a tentpole PSVR game published by Sony. All of the best Vive FPS's (Pavlov VR, Onward, Arizona Sunshine, the Serious Sam games, etc) are from relatively small, indie third party devs, but in terms of physical immersion they're the leaders.

Teleport is no longer an "obsession." The focus shifted to sliding locomotion last summer when Onward came out. FPS devs have been good about supporting multiple locomotion methods ever since.

Tagyhag

Have you seen the Serious Sam games in VR?
They're not as catered to VR as something like Farpoint, but I think they're damn well implemented.

Plus, it's Serious freaking Sam. I loved those even without VR. Don't know if anyone would be talking about Farpoint if it was just a regular PS4 game.

Reallink

Arizona Sunshine, while more of an adventure/shooter than straight up "FPS", is a much better game than Farpoint. Though Farpoint's design absolutely errs toward being too derivative, linear, repetitive, and predictable, the Aim controller still carries it to be a very enjoyable experience. It's not "bad" and is perfectly competent on it's own, it's just exceptionally unexceptional. It's telling that after playing it, most people are wishing and dreaming for a CoD , Battlefield/Front, or Borderlands in Aim VR, and not a Farpoint 2.

Top Bottom