• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint upgrades PSVR to 2.0

low-G

How's it compare to Robo Recall?

Seriously what is the aiming like in PSVR generally? Can you shoot around door frames and the like? How's the accuracy? Would a sniper rifle work?

ChouGoku

Yes I do. In Farpoint you basically walk in a straight line.

If an enemy gets behind you, it runs in front of you so you can shoot it.

It's feels like an on rails game with the mind blowing addition of letting you choose when to move forward.

Oh it's much better than that piece of garbage.
I played a run and gun style, I was running all over the maps

Kaako

Felium Defensor
good to hear...having to buy another accessory after buying two move controllers is kind of a barrier to entry too :[
Damn right. Ain't nobody got the space for all this plastic junk lol. That's why I'm buying it for dirt cheap if I can find it, then I don't have to feel too bad if only 5 games end up supporting it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Damn right. Ain't nobody got the space for all this plastic junk lol. That's why I'm buying it for dirt cheap if I can find it, then I don't have to feel too bad if only 5 games end up supporting it.

:stares at lonely rockband guitar in the corner:

Purest 78

There is so much hyperbole around this game because people are wowed by the controller. The game is as generic as they come, and yes the controller is really good but its the usual over excited gamers blowing it out of proportion. Its probably made worse because the VR is starved of full length games to be fair.

The hyperbole around how amazing it is, is because of the experience of an fps in vr and not the actual quality of the game. I just hope Sony champion this peripheral so we actually get some games that utilise it in inventive ways, rather than corridor after corridor of the same enemies.

I know there will be 100 gaffers slating me for how wrong i am, but we will see in a few days when the OT is buried and the game gathers dust because it has no replayability and for 75 quid we can expect more.

This makes No sense of course people like the game because it's in VR nothing wrong with that. It's like saying people only liked Wii sports because it introduce motion control. Well Duh Wii sports would have been terrible with a controller, the motion controls made it fun. Well Farpoint is the same it would be quite average played with a controller, Playing in VR is what makes amazing imo.

The game looks cool (though not being able to turn a full 360 degrees like you can in Serious Sam VR is lame, it makes it seem like more of an arcade shooter than a full blown FPS in that regard) but while I've read here that it tracks better than regular Move controllers, it still doesn't seem to be as good as compared to infrared tracking. GRANTED, I still haven't tried the game. Just going by what I've seen.

Is it really that revolutionary compared to other VR tracking?

What are you talking about, you can turn however you want, just use the stick.

cakefoo

truly a milestone in the VR history. This raises the bar.
It raises the bar for PSVR, but not for VR overall. Vive owners have been enjoying this type of experience since last year, but with 1:1 360 roomscale tracking and rifle stocks with quickly detachable/re-attachable controllers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

He is talking about full blown 360 tracking like the one Vive/Rift already have since last year, where you can turn to any direction you want in game by physically turning your body instead of using a stick.

It raises the bar for PSVR, but not for VR overall. Vive owners have been enjoying this type of experience since last year, but with 1:1 360 roomscale tracking and rifle stocks with quickly detachable/re-attachable controllers.

Indeed. Its nothing new for VR at all.

hank_tree

I played a run and gun style, I was running all over the maps

I've played a bit more now and there are some more open arenas. The first big boss fight for example.

But the vast majority of the game so far has been really tight corridors with very little room for movement outside of moving forwards/backwards.

Tagyhag

If you turn your entire body 180 degrees and you block entirely the gun's sensor view of the camera, does it still work?

That to me would be the revolutionary part since it would be a direct upgrade from the current light system that Sony uses.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Considering what Valve is doing with the Vive I would wager that is pushing VR further than a light gun and its motion controls. Not to say what I have heard and seen from Farpoint isn't defining the PSVR, I don't believe it is as redefining as a whole for the virtual reality genre.

Darknight

If you turn your entire body 180 degrees and you block entirely the gun's sensor view of the camera, does it still work?

That to me would be the revolutionary part since it would be a direct upgrade from the current light system that Sony uses.

This game has a build in grid to help you keep in sight of the camera so when you do a 180, it shows a "cone" that basically tells you there is no tracking there. The way the game has been made makes everything work so its not "mind blowing". The Vive plus this would be I think but for PSVR, its great.

Sequiel

Banned
I haven't used PSVR for some months. Bought Farpoint+VR Aim, put it on, updated the firm to 2.50 and in 20 mins of gameplay I was dizzy from the "soft turn" option and drifted like 45º from my original position... apart from being all sweaty as usual. Don't know why but Farpoint's smooth movement affects me a lot more than RE7's.

I'm not very satisfied with the PSVR experience so far, even on a Pro. The "Drifting" problem, lack of resolution, background RGB noise, no way to fully avoid chromatic aberrations on the borders, the helmet brick pushes your glasses to your face if you want to avoid light leaks, no "real view" window, ... the "potential" is there, but there's just too many flaws yet.

So yeah... game looking good and PS Aim feels great but still suffering the same shit as months before.

Is there any way to at least fix the fucking drifting? it's definitively NOT the camera moving from its position.

Fisty

This really should have been a Mass Effect game. Imagine it with Rachni instead, and you're fighting through a planet covered in them, hell the guns are already pretty close, throw in a couple little biotics and youre done. Sucks that EA is willing to throw money at Andromeda but not use a fraction of that money and make something like this

Tagyhag

This game has a build in grid to help you keep in sight of the camera so when you do a 180, it shows a "cone" that basically tells you there is no tracking there. The way the game has been made makes everything work so its not "mind blowing". The Vive plus this would be I think but for PSVR, its great.

Yeah that's at least intuitive, one of the best things about VR will be seeing how devs can work with limitations.

killroy87

I haven't played this game personally, but have been following impressions closely this week, and it doesn't look to be anything particularly noteworthy. VR is in such a tough position right now. I just don't think the tech (for any of the headsets) is quite there yet to deliver truly remarkable games. Remarkable moments, sure, but very few remarkable experiences as a whole. And yet, this tech needs to exist in order to make a case for the medium moving forward.

I'm very, very interested to see what VR tech looks like in ten years, what shape it takes and what role it plays in gaming. But I'm becoming more and more glad I've skipped out on this round. Games like Farpoint just seem like such a trifle, like it's aediocre shooter in every aspect that we make a million excuses for because it's in VR.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's not all that impressive compared to the roomscale stuff I've played on Vive, and there's way too much repetition of enemy types, but it's pretty solid. It's all about the gun hardware giving your in-game gun a sense of presence more than the game itself being good, though. It's also kind of bleh visually for the first third or so. One of the characters even complains about it at one point.

So no, it's not a revolution for the platform by any means. It's more just "thank god, something to play" than anything else, really.

Fisty

I haven't played this game personally, but have been following impressions closely this week, and it doesn't look to be anything particularly noteworthy. VR is in such a tough position right now. I just don't think the tech (for any of the headsets) is quite there yet to deliver truly remarkable games. Remarkable moments, sure, but very few remarkable experiences as a whole. And yet, this tech needs to exist in order to make a case for the medium moving forward.

I'm very, very interested to see what VR tech looks like in ten years, what shape it takes and what role it plays in gaming. But I'm becoming more and more glad I've skipped out on this round. Games like Farpoint just seem like such a trifle, like it's aediocre shooter in every aspect that we make a million excuses for because it's in VR.

Yeah nothing really noteworthy, it only feels like stepping onto an alien planet and blasting giant bugs with a space rifle. Who the hell would find that fun?

Kalentan

It's not all that impressive compared to the roomscale stuff I've played on Vive, and there's way too much repetition of enemy types, but it's pretty solid. It's all about the gun hardware giving your in-game gun a sense of presence more than the game itself being good, though. It's also kind of bleh visually for the first third or so. One of the characters even complains about it at one point.

So no, it's not a revolution for the platform by any means. It's more just "thank god, something to play" than anything else, really.

Eh, at least on PSVR it's a huge step up.

It's currently the only PSVR game that offers motion controls and freedom of movement without simply teleporting.

I think saying that it's simply "thank god, something to play", is honestly really insulting to the work they did on this to get a game like this to work on PSVR.

T-0800

haha at the thread title but i agree with OP.

this game is a game changer to FPS genre IMO.. and its all because of that aim controller.. my god that thing is fucking amazing.

Normal move controllers when used as a pointing device drift often. How is the aim controller? Is it the same tech?

ryseing

There is so much hyperbole around this game because people are wowed by the controller. The game is as generic as they come, and yes the controller is really good but its the usual over excited gamers blowing it out of proportion. Its probably made worse because the VR is starved of full length games to be fair.

The hyperbole around how amazing it is, is because of the experience of an fps in vr and not the actual quality of the game. I just hope Sony champion this peripheral so we actually get some games that utilise it in inventive ways, rather than corridor after corridor of the same enemies.

I know there will be 100 gaffers slating me for how wrong i am, but we will see in a few days when the OT is buried and the game gathers dust because it has no replayability and for 75 quid we can expect more.

I created the OT and I agree with this. Still, considering that it's one of the first original FPS for VR, it's alright. The Aim is definitely deserving of the praise though.

Seriously what is the aiming like in PSVR generally? Can you shoot around door frames and the like? How's the accuracy? Would a sniper rifle work?

Farpoint has a sniper rifle and the accuracy is solid. The Aim is a really great piece of kit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I need to get the aim controller but can't find it anywhere. I have played the game with the DS4 and I wouldn't say it's a killer app. It is definitely an intense VR experience though. The game is quite basic but is elevated in VR.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Eh, at least on PSVR it's a huge step up.

It's currently the only PSVR game that offers motion controls and freedom of movement without simply teleporting.

No it's not, Robinson has the same movement options, and far more detailed environments, to boot.

I think saying that it's simply "thank god, something to play", is honestly really insulting to the work they did on this to get a game like this to work on PSVR.

The effort required doesn't really matter much if the end result is just okay, which is what Farpoint is after a couple of hours of play. It takes a ton of work to get any game out the door, that doesn't mean it's an insult to criticize them.

Kalentan

No it's not, Robinson has the same movement options, and far more detailed environments, to boot.

The effort required doesn't really matter much if the end result is just okay, which is what Farpoint is after a couple of hours of play. It takes a ton of work to get any game out the door, that doesn't mean it's an insult to criticize them.

You play Robinson with a Dualshock 4. Not the move. I specifically said no game offers motion controls and the full freedom of movement that Farpoint has.

I do feel that Farpoint is being held up to a higher standard unfairly. Instead of being compared to other offerings, we've gone straight to expecting top of the line, ground breaking, single-player quality stuff.

Like rather than seeing how it's a step up from it's competition, it's been decided to simply ignore that and simply compare it to non-VR stuff.

Reallink

The actual gameplay and content is not as good as Arizona Sunshine or Robo Recall, but the aim controller works great and they delivered a free movement VR FPS that controls well and doesn't make most people sick. There is a sniper rifle that works fine, and you can somewhat lean around cover, though PSVR's tracking box is really small. You're better off just moving with the analog stick. There certainly nothing mind blowing here for seasoned Vive or Touch owners, but it's PSVR's first taste of something that approaches their quality.

Kalentan

The actual gameplay and content is not as good as Arizona Sunshine or Robo Recall, but the aim controller works great and they delivered a free movement VR FPS that controls well and doesn't make most people sick. There is a sniper rifle that works fine, and you can somewhat lean around cover, though PSVR's tracking box is really small. You're better off just moving with the analog stick.

Is there any chance they will release another improved camera?

That could help with the tracking, no? Make the space where it detects you larger?

hank_tree

Normal move controllers when used as a pointing device drift often. How is the aim controller? Is it the same tech?

It has the same issue. I.e. After an hour of play you'll be holding the controller forward but it'll be pointing off to the left.

A quick reset of the headset will fix it though.

I played 30 minute launch day and wasn't too impressed since I already played Mortal Blitz and Rush of Blood. I played for a good two hours today and was lost in it. I'm loving it.

Set the right stick to "smooth" and the highest speed. Once you get used to it you won't go back.

The freedom of movement really makes it stand out and makes all the difference.This game is incredible and I can't wait to play co-op.

Amneisac

I dunno man, RE7 VR is some next level shit.

Fucking terrifying walking down those hallways in VR. When high? Forget about it.

giphy.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
I agree with OP. PS Aim enhances the experience much more than I figured. The immersion in Farpoint is amazing, spiders flying on your face are scary af.

gmoran

Say what you want about PSVR or VR in general, Farpoint is some next level shit. I never EVER felt so immersive in a game, it's scary. The VR Aim Controller is a must have for shooters. This is the real deal. Played for 2 hours straight and am fucking done for today. This is so intense and exhausting but so much fun. And don't get me started on the online coop. I was literally screaming "from the left, the left!" like I was going to die in it.

I hope we will see more of this, truly a milestone in the VR history. This raises the bar.

Some hype there; but to some degree I agree.

Things changed today with how I'm playing it; I've realised I've reorientated myself so that I'm playing side-on with the Aim braced across my chest. This feels really natural and is allowing for far more accurate shooting. I'm doing so much locomotion movement and not even thinking about it, everything is focused on that amazing gun controller.

This does seem to me to be where the future of first person shooters should be. Utterly awesome.

Tactical shooters with this would be amazing. An Aliens Marines game please someone.

Codiox

Some hype there; but to some degree I agree.

Things changed today with how I'm playing it; I've realised I've reorientated myself so that I'm playing side-on with the Aim braced across my chest. This feels really natural and is allowing for far more accurate shooting. I'm doing so much locomotion movement and not even thinking about it, everything is focused on that amazing gun controller.

This does seem to me to be where the future of first person shooters should be. Utterly awesome.

Tactical shooters with this would be amazing. An Aliens Marines game please someone.

Did you try the coop? To interact with another human in the VR world adds another layer of realism on it. Crazy stuff. Love it.

gmoran

Not too shocked that this sounds like a great foundation and an okay everything else, but I have to wonder how great of a foundation it is compared to PC 360-degree roomscale games.

In VR I now think the future of FPSs is a gun-controller, and I hope someone comes up with a PC VR variant soon: that would be, IMO, in VR in general's best interests.

I just finished the campaign last night. While I agree with others that the OP may be little too excited, this is BY FAR my favorite VR experience.

I own a PSVR, and have spent a good amount of time with the VIVE. The gun controller is my new favorite VR controller, even more than the Vive. I also had no tracking issues during my 4-5 hour playthrough.

I want to see more devs expand on the ideas in this game. It is the old FPS concept redesigned with VR in mind. It is not a FPS with VR layered on top.

Highly recommended to anyone with a PSVR. Not worth getting VR for just this game though, IMO.

Is neogaf a guerilla marketing space for the industry? I feel threads just like this pop up constantly.

So you're just thread complaining?

Anyhow, yeah it does actually upgrade the PSVR to 2.0 - happened today - could have been an OS thing but I had to upgrade today.

Farpoint's a great game. The sense of world is fucking amazing and I'm glad the game that sold me on the PSVR when I played it last year at EBgames here in Aus delivered big time.

firelogic

If you're someone that dropped $300 on a peripheral, ponying up $100 for the game and controller doesn't seem like a big deal. I don't see it as a barrier to entry at all.

It has the same issue. I.e. After an hour of play you'll be holding the controller forward but it'll be pointing off to the left.

A quick reset of the headset will fix it though.

I barely had any drift issues in the hours ive played so far but I found all I had to do was give the aim a little shake and it was re-aligned, no need to do a full reboot yet. It does seem to track a little better than the moves but nothing groundbreaking.

I get the criticisms, the game at times feels like a corridor shooter from the 90s. But the VR aspect and the great peripheral really enhances it. The biggest thing for me is that the game doesn't make me sick, but I can move around all over the map (which is admittedly narrow). Rigs, Battlezone, really all of the games resembling a FPS make me ill within 15 minutes or so. I can play this game for about an hour without feeling ill (eye strain gets me though).

I really do think it is the Aim that is preventing the motion sickness. The in-game gun tracks with the Aim so well that it gives you a point of reference. All the other comfort options helps a lot too. So I think the summary that "the game is mediocre but the peripheral is awesome" is fair but may underestimate how much the awesome peripheral improves the game. I haven't finished it yet, but my current assessment is "the game is good, the peripheral makes it great."

If you're someone that dropped $300 on a peripheral, ponying up $100 for the game and controller doesn't seem like a big deal. I don't see it as a barrier to entry at all.

Yeah I view the overall barrier for entry low, especially compared to Oculus/Vive. But it is still a gamble since support right now is limited. I agree that this kind of controller is the future of VR FPS though so I am really hoping more devs jump in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That's somewhat hyperbolic, it's a solid game and a really good showcase for what VR could do for FPS titles - but I'd say it just gives us a glimpse at what '2.0' could be rather than delivering anything substantial on that front.

Co-op mode is incredible, but it's sadly a very small part of a small game.

I absolutely love my PSVR but I am in total agreement with this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Well, its the first FPS title for the Playstation VR so they are very excited about this.Wait till they experienced uncompromised tracking, room scale and others.

hank_tree

I barely had any drift issues in the hours ive played so far but I found all I had to do was give the aim a little shake and it was re-aligned, no need to do a full reboot yet. It does seem to track a little better than the moves but nothing groundbreaking.

That hasn't been my experience at all. PS VR tracking is just very inconsistent across the board. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes it doesn't. The Aim controller isn't any better or worse.

To fix drift for the headset it is all about how you turn it on. Have your PSVR headset on a stable surface and turn it on, leave it for about 5 seconds then pick it up you shouldn't have any drift whatsoever.

Its a bit similar to older dualshock/n64 controllers where if you were touching the analogue stick when turning on it would constantly read that input.

Top Bottom