• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Final Fantasy XV "greatest contributor", fastest-selling FF (6 million)

Koozek

Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said:
I will start with the HD Games sub-segment of the Digital Entertainment segment. The greatest contributor to earnings there was ”FINAL FANTASY XV," which achieved global sales of 6 million units faster than any previous title in the franchise.

KiFlsYU.jpg

EDIT (thanks for pointing out, @SargerusBR):
Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said:
This slide breaks our FY2018/3 forecasts down by segment. On the whole, downloads are accounting for an increasing percentage of sales, with more than 20% of ”FINAL FANTASY XV" sales in North America coming from downloads. We will continue to work to bolster digital sales in FY2018/3.

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/17q4outline.pdf

Good for them, but I stand by the assertion that the best thing about FF15 coming out is that it can unclog the 10 year old pipes and let them actually start working on new things.

What a ride the development of this game has been and still is. I'm happy it worked out for the most part.

I'll make sure to reward them by buying the complete edition.

Loved the game despite its flaws and I freaking hope we get everything on that survey.

And I want Versus XIII costumes, dammit. Please Square.

Lesson learned by SE: Story content doesn't matter, just create a world with generic quests and slap characters on it and you'll sell 6 million.

The real reason it sold that many was the long wait and insane hype. Not deserved, but at least the FF franchise isn't dead and there is hope for the future.

Ninjimbo

I'm glad it sold well. The game has problems but it's a genuine effort with a lot of heart. Most of the time the game was a lot of fun to play.

Good for them, but I stand by the assertion that the best thing about FF15 coming out is that it can unclog the 10 year old pipes and let them actually start working on new things.

Yeah I'd agree... If they clearly weren't still trying to fix FFXV by adding new content to the game and asking players what they want the most.

I do not understand how it got so much praise when it was very clearly completely unfinished among tons of other problems.

Blobbers

and it deserves to sell 4 mil. more. one of my favorite games of this generation. the combat alone was so fun it kept me playing for 40 more hours after the story was done

cordy

Banned
Now you gotta give us that FFXV-2...

Yeah I know what people will say about the story but yeah give us that.

Nice! Even though I had major issues with XV I gladly put in 200 hours over several playthroughs. Playing it my third time through on PS4 Pro gave me some eye candy unlike anything I'd seen before.

Glad to see FF is still a hot commodity.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some shortcomings aside, well deserved. FFXV went through development hell but came out swinging like a champ.

Here's hoping the next numbered entry doesn't take 10 years.
and isn't an online game.

Some shortcomings aside, well deserved. FFXV went through development hell but came out swinging like a champ.

I don't think their comments referring to GaaS means the lack of SP. It just means they plan to support their games in the long term with updates/expansions so it keeps selling post-launch.

kromeo

Lesson learned by SE: Story content doesn't matter, just create a world with generic quests and slap characters on it and you'll sell 6 million.

The real reason it sold that many was the long wait and insane hype. Not deserved, but at least the FF franchise isn't dead and there is hope for the future.

I don't think SE are capable of delivering a good story driven FF anymore, best to just let it go

Enthus

Id take a ffxv-2 of it's a prequel with either Ardyn or the king and his crew

Noctis story however is done

I'd love an Ardyn game, but
making a whole ancient world would be a ton of asset creation
. Give me a Reggie + crew game where the main draw is a fully explorable Insomnia and I'd drop another $60.

. Give me a Reggie + crew game where the main draw is a fully explorable Insomnia and I'd drop another $60.
You're right plus reggies crew has cor and Cid automatically the goat

Luminaire

To hell with them! Iris
The Slayer
is where it's at.

Nice! The game had a ton of flaws, but even with those flaws, I loved it. Just had a lot of charm.

This is right about where I was at. Though i've moved a lot more towards "like" than "love" in the months post release.

Certainly excited to see what they do next, where hopefully the game isn't in development hell forever. Could definitely mean a better overall, more cohesive story.

Arkeband

Banned

It'd step on 14's toes. I'm expecting 16 to be a sloppy singleplayer mess like 15 was, with a year of weird updates that address core issues with the game and yet somehow still don't fix any core issues with the game.

To hell with them! Iris
The Slayer
is where it's at.
Explore the world of ruin as
Iris as she slays demons and tries to keep the world of eos safe while the king rests, joining her occasionally will be familiar faces like ignis,gladio, talcott,areana, and maybe more.
You welcome square make it an expansion give me credit tho

Top Bottom