• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another World allegedly was to feature a gay romance between the male leads (NSFW)

Deft Beck

Already searched for a thread on this, didn't find anything.

According to email correspondence between 29-year-old Tumblr user Kalematsuba -- who is an avid fan of Another World ever since seeing it played on Game Grumps, having drawn over 270 pieces of fanart centered on the game -- and Another World creator Eric Chahi, Another World was going to feature a gay romance between the human player character and the alien male lead character, but was ultimately not made so in the final release.

He even wanted this artist to illustrate an official comic following the end of the game's story confirming the romance.

Disclaimer: The blog linked below contains some NSFW art

http://kalematsuba.tumblr.com/post/152037841802/amazing-news said:
i got an email from eric today and it looks like he really does want me to be the artist for an official comic for another world!

honestly, i really wanted to make a comic for it anyway but to have it like sort of officially endorsed by and affiliated with eric chahi himself is THE DREAM™ come true

he says he wants it to take place after the end of the game as a continuation. he also said (and i quote) that ”having them in gay relationship is a must have i think, because it will surprise many people" (luckily for you guys, being my tumblr followers gets you this inside info. lol)

http://kalematsuba.tumblr.com/post/154502439917/kales-another-world-art-retrospective-so said:
to have actually gotten to talk to the creator of the game himself, Eric Chahi, was a massive dream come true; and to see that he recognizes and praises all the effort and heart i've put into bringing his characters more to life than ever before, even to the point where he wants me to draw an actual official comic under his affiliation, is an enormous blessing.

I even discovered that he initially really did think of making these two have a gay romantic connection in the game - but he decided against it because he thought it might be too forward and strange for most audiences at the time. He literally thanked me for doing with them what he couldn't do. And now, he's ready to finally reveal it in the comic we're planning, and he thinks its absolutely a must have.

I can't tell you how much of an honor it is, not only to have shown a creator that they can finally let their characters be gay in this new age of acceptance, but also to have the opportunity to canonically reveal gay/queer themes and positivity in a piece of gaming history.

In addition, here is a (NSFW) fan blog by the above artist, which includes more evidence of Kale and Eric corresponding.

Kale's Twitter profile states "in collaboration with Eric Chahi as the artist of the official Another World comic"

Part of me thinks that Eric is somewhat humoring this very dedicated artist, but the interpretation being made canon-ish in this way is very fascinating.

Kale's Another World fan zine can be pre-ordered at this link (NSFW)

EDIT:
Previously described Kale as a young Tumblr user, but after a DM conversation on Twitter with Kale, indicated his true age accordingly.

I mean... I'm not against it and it's been years since I played Another World but the thought of the human player character pairing up with that one giant grey alien never crossed my mind.

I mean... I'm not against it and it's been years since I played Another World but the thought of the human player character pairing up with that one giant grey alien never crossed my mind.

Dunno what it says about me, but ... it did cross my mind when I played it.

Fularu

Banned
Mikearuba.

Yeah Nintendo would never have approved that, still interesting tidbit.

What did Nintendo have to do with Another World? The game released on ST and Amiga at least a good 10 months before the SNES version. The only thing Nintendo did was remove the blood and censor 3 pixels high asscracks.

MightyKAC

I'm not proud of it but, I doubt that 1991 me would have been able to appreciate a relationship like that as well 2017 me would be able to today.

In fact, 1991 would have been a REALLY risky time to explore LGBT subject matter of any kind and on any media back then since a LOT of us held onto some very close minded ideology so I can understand his reluctance.

That being said though if he ever plans to make anything in the future I hope that he (or anyone else for that matter ) doesn't hesitate to tell his story how every he wants to regardless of whatever sexual preferences his characters may have.

Fularu

Banned
I am a little skeptical of this news, if the main source's credential is just "Tumblr user".

More than that, nothing really indicates in the game. not even in subtle ways, that this could have been a romance.

Not even the whole new level in the PC version.

akira28

bTHCjdS.jpg

hahah what? this guy?

really?

well I guess...

Deft Beck

I contacted Kale on Twitter, but he seems to wish to respect Chahi's privacy, and therefore cannot publically furnish proof of their correspondence.

https://twitter.com/kalematsuba/status/870495867970535424 said:
i have our emails, but for the sake of his privacy, i do not plan to release them publically out of good faith and respect.

So, unless Eric directly comments, we just have Kale's word.

Fandom is wild. Even as a little gay boy I never paid a second thought to the main character and the alien guy maybe being boyfriends. How people can become so obsessed with such extremely specific things never fails to fascinate me. Not totally buying Eric Chahi's endorsement but props to Kale for the extreme dedication to a very obscure pairing.

Chuck

Still without luck
Fandom is wild. Even as a little gay boy I never paid a second thought to the main character and the alien guy maybe being boyfriends. How people can become so obsessed with such extremely specific things never fails to fascinate me. Not totally buying Eric Chahi's endorsement but props to Kale for the extreme dedication to a very obscure pairing.

It really doesn't surprise me anymore after seeing so many artists get so highly specific with their fan art. Like there is one artist I follow that literally only draws Makoto from Free!, and has done so for years.

At this point I just think "sure, of course" when I see this kind of stuff.

hotcyder

Would of been interesting to see how they would of achieved that with low-res, single digit palette, rotoscoped artwork

Fularu

Banned
Time to remaster the remaster for the truly authentic directors cut.
This gives new context to the ending escape.
Not really. The hero is about to die from his wounds and the Alien guy takes him away from the enemies. There's really no subtext there in a fame was was prety much devoid of any meaningfull dialogue

Sapiens

Would of been interesting to see how they would of achieved that with low-res, single digit palette, rotoscoped artwork

I imagine the gameplay would have been similar to that scene were you have to sway the cage back and forth.

Top Bottom