• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glixel: PlayStation is Winning – But What Next? [info on PSVR & Pro sales]

takoyaki

PlayStation bosses from U.S. and Europe on the success of the Pro and PSVR, and why 'Singstar' is as important as 'God of War'

All of the platform holders face unique challenges this year, and nowhere will these be more apparent than during E3, the biggest media blitz of the year for video games. Nintendo is under pressure to show that the Switch is more than a blip on the radar and Microsoft has to convince us as to why it's making a more powerful console – "Scorpio" – when that's not really its problem. Sony has a different problem though: it's winning – big time – and needs to show us what it's going to do with that.

With close to 60 million units sold worldwide since its release in November 2013, the PlayStation 4 is enjoying a significant lead.

2016 was a big "innovation year" for PlayStation according to Sony Interactive Entertainment America president Shawn Layden. The company launched the PlayStation VR headset in October and the more powerful PlayStation 4 Pro in November, alongside a redesigned workhorse PlayStation 4, affectionately referred to as the "Slim" which does "most of the heavy lifting.”

One in five PlayStation 4's sold is a Pro, and of those 40% are people upgrading from a previous model

Around 40 percent of PS4 Pro sales are people upgrading to the more powerful box from their vanilla PS4s. "Sometimes I think we can be guilty of ascribing too much rationality to gamers," says Ryan. "People just want the best. Maybe they just want to future proof? I think we see the same thing from Apple customers too – there are people that want the best that you can buy.”

Sony's virtual reality tech, PSVR, has been a surprising success. According to Sony Europe boss Jim Ryan – who also serves as the global head of sales and marketing – this is largely down to the fact that Sony treated it like a platform launch rather than a peripheral, and this led to over a million headsets being sold, along with more than 5 million VR games. "To be honest we didn't know how well it would do," Ryan admits. "We were optimistic, but something as completely different as virtual reality is tough to predict."

Digital sales will be a big part of this – Sony's own digital store is now the single largest retailer for PlayStation games in the world, and close to 40 percent of new game sales are now digital rather than boxed copies. "Of the 3.4 million copies of Horizon we sold, about 915,000 were digital"

=> read more on Glixel

Capella

They're getting all their financial info out there before E3 so that they can focus on the gamez at their press conference.

I hope.

I don't remember last E3 or the year before having any sales talk so probably this.

Enjoyed the recent Glixel cast where they talked about Sony's upcoming presser but I was confused to hear almost no mention of PSVR. I wonder if they have low expectations or just no interest in it.

They're getting all their financial info out there before E3 so that they can focus on the gamez at their press conference.

I hope.

Those were Shawn Layden's exact words iirc. He said we have gotten to an age where they learned that financials in a press conference don't work at E3 anymore.

Can't find the quote right now but I think it was in the polygon interview.

RSchmitz

The Playstation structure overhaul still feels weird. Jim Ryan is still the Europe guy and Shawn Layden is still the US guy. Their job descriptions don´t fit, they are supposed to be something like head of Sales & Marketing and WWS chairman. Maybe they are still adjusting.

I liked more the way it was before tbh.

FelipeMGM

I bet this is what they are most happy about

Digital sales will be a big part of this – Sony's own digital store is now the single largest retailer for PlayStation games in the world, and close to 40 percent of new game sales are now digital rather than boxed copies. "Of the 3.4 million copies of Horizon we sold, about 915,000 were digital,"

More people buying direct from them makes their cut bigger

that was a good read, sony is really in their zone right now. im also glad for GG doing so good

ill get a PSVR when it gets a good price cut just in case it put too much strain on my eyes(i hate 3d because of that)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The update in the OP about digital sales, I can believe it.

Sony and MS have been on fire lately with deals, sales, ect.

The one about Horizon is ...wow. Almost a million in digital sales.

yurinka

What is next is a year or two with a lot of great PS exclusive games and most of the biggest multiplatform games with a Sony marketing deal.

Meanwhile, Xbox and Nintendo only have a few important exclusive games announced and its sales doesn't hurt the PS4 ones.

Nothing in the horizon seems to have a chance to stop the PS4 global domination in sales in at least a year or two. And in a couple of years, we'll be talking about the upcoming PS5 release.

Deadstar

Looks like Singstar is making (another) comeback?

Not sure what else they can do with it or to get people interested again though.

How about put out songs regularly and have all the modes that the past games had, along with selling actual microphones? They don't need to do much to get people interested. It's karaoke. It's very hard to screw up, but Sony screwed it up.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are those pro sales good because they don't sound good.

"In some ways it was just as radical as VR," says Ryan. "We were confident about the product but have really been taken aback by how well it's done. Almost one in five PlayStations sold since that launch in November has been a Pro. That's significantly ahead of our expectations. We're feeling pretty good about that."

Read into that PR what you will.

ianpm31

What is next is a year or two with a lot of great PS exclusive games and most of the biggest multiplatform games with a Sony marketing deal.

Meanwhile, Xbox and Nintendo only have a few important exclusive games announced and its sales doesn't hurt the PS4 ones.

Nothing in the horizon seems to have a chance to stop the PS4 global domination in sales in at least a year or two. And in a couple of years, we'll be talking about the upcoming PS5 release.

Sony knows what they are doing and obviously they built up the playstation brand to be a global force that appeals to all kinds of tastes. Other than the PS3 which was a learning experience for them it's really business as usual. Dominated with PS1, PS2, and now PS4.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is the best news of all:

40 percent of new game sales are now digital rather than boxed copies. "Of the 3.4 million copies of Horizon we sold, about 915,000 were digital"

We march ever closer to the glorious day then the disgusting cynical pawn shop's stranglehold over the industry is finally broken. When do we start hearing about mass Gamestop closures?

Shock32

2 actually.

It took Uncharted2 5 months to sell 3.5m, and it took the massively acclaimed ND production The Last of Us nearly one month to do the same on a 80m install base. For reference.

That's real impressive. Imagine how big the sequel will be.

joedick

40 percent of new game sales are now digital rather than boxed copies. "Of the 3.4 million copies of Horizon we sold, about 915,000 were digital"

We march ever closer to the glorious day then the disgusting cynical pawn shop's stranglehold over the industry is finally broken. When do we start hearing about mass Gamestop closures?

I know this is probably a joke and you want me to respond this way, so here you go:

What benefit would there be to consumers if games could only be bought in one place? You can already buy digital games, what benefit is there to you if physical games were gone?

butman

Sony is pre damage controlling E3 since they know they will get destroyed by SCORPIO

WWE-WWF-the-rock-rolling-eyes-reaction-1394701851l.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I know this is probably a joke and you want me to respond this way, so here you go:

What benefit would there be to consumers if games could only be bought in one place? You can already buy digital games, what benefit is there to you if physical games were gone?

Gamestop has an irrational influence on the game industry. The worst of which is they force all publishers to hold back games digitally until they are sold in their stores. They also demand that all digital games are priced the exact same as retail at release. When publishers first started offering full games on release day digitally, they were going to release games $10 cheaper to pass the discount of not needing materials and shipping onto the consumer. Gamestop freaked the fuck out and threatened to pull any publisher's games off their shelves and never stock them again to blackmail publishers into retail/digital price parity. They constantly pull this strongarm tactic. In game pre-order bonuses? Forced by retail under threat of pulling the publisher's games off the shelves.

And don't even get me started on how they treat their customers and the state of their stores... for most people, this is the only public face they see of the game industry. It paints an awful picture.

They are an absolute blight on the entire industry and as soon as they are gone we will all be better for it.

Gamestop has an irrational influence on the game industry. The worst of which is they force all publishers to hold back games digitally until they are sold in their stores. They also demand that all digital games are priced the exact same as retail at release. When publishers first started offering full games on release day digitally, they were going to release games $10 cheaper to pass the discount of not needing materials and shipping onto the consumer. Gamestop freaked the fuck out and threatened to pull any publisher's games off their shelves and never stock them again to blackmail publishers into retail/digital price parity. They constantly pull this strongarm tactic. In game pre-order bonuses? Forced by retail under threat of pulling the publisher's games off the shelves.

And don't even get me started on how they treat their customers and the state of their stores... for most people, this is the only public face they see of the game industry. It paints an awful picture.

They are an absolute blight on the entire industry and as soon as they are gone we will all be better for it.

Gamestop was there for the games industry when other retailers were not. An entire store dedicated to gaming was important at one point.

With Amazon, and digital it does not matter as much if at all anymore. Eventually GS will go away.

No thanks. I prefer physical games where I can buy, sell, give away or trade with other people not to mention being able to check them out at my local library like books, music and movies. Also I never go to Gamestop.

TissueBox

"A big part of what we need to do is convince people that have been getting their gaming fix on their phone to buy a PS4. They want something more accessible, something that's a less intensive time commitment. If we can do what we did on PS2 and access that more social kind of experience – we had games like Singstar and Buzz that did phenomenally well, especially in Europe – that'll really help us broaden."

This will be interesting... commencing the war on mobile..!! Hopefully it'll turn out good things for both sides.

Also speaking of Death Stranding, hope to see something really cool at E3. If we get another Kojima-classic trailer it may be one of the show-stealers.

Top Bottom