• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

BY2K

Membero Americo
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15790162/microsoft-phil-spencer-xbox-one-x-vs-ps4-pro-interview

“I look at [PS4] Pro as more of a competitor to [Xbox One] S than I do to Xbox One X,” claims Spencer. “This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there.” Spencer points out 40 percent more GPU speed, more RAM, and the speed of storage as the advantages of the Xbox One X over the PS4 Pro, but he also knocks Sony’s methods for getting to 4K resolutions with some of its games. “When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.” Spencer also says he expects the majority of consoles that Microsoft sells next year will be Xbox One S.

Finally, Spencer addresses the lack of first-party game announcements during Microsoft’s E3 press conference. Microsoft had plenty of big games to show, but in terms of announcements it was only Forza Motorsport 7 as a truly new triple-A title. Spencer believes Ori, Super Lucky’s Tale, and Sea of Thieves serve as solid announcements, but he admits he has been heavily focused on hardware over the past few years since taking over the chief Xbox role. “I do think we have an opportunity to get better in first-party and to grow,” says Spencer. “We've got great support from the company to go do that.”

Spencer also notes Microsoft has signed some “things we haven’t announced” but that it’s too early to build hype about.

spekkeh

Banned
I know he wants to be cheeky, but it just makes stronger the impression that Microsoft is stealthily introducing a new gen.

j0hnnix

giphy.gif

Cough Destiny 2 30fps..

This thread should be fun :)

I see Scorpio and the Pro as competitors, although the S and the Pro are closer priced.

Even then I can't see someone picking an S over the much more powerful Pro

iswasdoes

He might be right in terms of pure specs. But in the eyes of the consumer they are definitely competing, and for the majority of consumers who dont understand the difference between 'Native 4K' and 'Dynamic 4K' they are a like for like product

except one is 499, the other 399.

Moobabe

WHO CARES
Phil just focus on your console and stop debating about PS4 Pro.

Such a childish behaviour.

I'm no Phil apologist - but he was probably asked a question specifically about the Pro.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, they have to bring up the competition because that's what the consumer will do:

"Why would I buy an Xbox One X when I can buy a One S, or PS4 Pro?"

They have to give people a reason.

Alienous

I don't see why Microsoft cares so much about 4K, and having a 'true 4K console'.

Sony want to sell televisions, they benefit from making 4K more mainstream. How does Microsoft benefit?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
he's not wrong though, right?

both sets of ps4 / xbox systems are pretty much the same tier of power

trixx

Him trying to justify the price, sure it could be worth $499 but still disappointing. Sony can easily sell ps4 pro for cheaper and the appeal is that there's better games and despite the upgrade in performance how many are truly utilizing it?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It feels like the original Xbox power advantage, released when PS2 had already won. Microsoft now has a technical edge, but it's just as irrelevant. A focus on strong 1st party exclusives could have impacted PS4's momentum, not this.

Dierce

I'm feeling put off by the arrogance. Certainly someone on the Xbox team must understand that it doesn't matter how powerful a system is if it lacks game support.

This is another 2013 level fiasco in my opinion.

Fliesen

I don't think Microsoft can really play the "true 4k" card when they've been the ones muddying the waters themselves, when trying to position the Xbox One S as an "well kinda sorta 4k in some ways" console via weird marketing wording.

It's like back when all mobile service providers started calling their networks "4G" even if it was just HSDPA+.

You guys contributed to ruining the purity of the term "4k" - (just like your 1080p console ran many games at 900p).

LKSmash

Why y'all let this kind of stuff get to you so much? Lol the man is trying to sell his brand. Being humble is what you do when you're leading not losing.

Widge

All PS4 Slim, XB1s & Pro are competitors. They will have the same games and offer much cheaper entry points. A generation jump used to signify a drop off in support for the older machines, this isn't going to happen this time.

And I put this to the PS4 pro too. Very little reason to spend the money on that when I can get the exclusives on the OG. They are definitely niche machines preaching to the converted.

Gravy100

The original Xbox was more powerful than the ps2 which is why it is now remembered as the best console with the best games, right everyone?

Top Bottom