• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

GHG

Gold Member
The Ps4 Pro quotes are to be expecting trying to communicate the difference but this

This guy, constantly hyping fans up this 'wait till the next one' speech

It's always the same song. It has been for years now. He just doesn't tell the truth.

And his fans lap it up and fall for it every single time. "Wait for xxxx event", "this time will be different", etc etc.

This is the second e3 in a row where they haven't announced a new first party IP. Meanwhile he's saying shit like the thread title to the media so that the headlines end up taking the focus away from what it's really about for everybody who follows this industry - the games.

He plays everybody like a fiddle.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
to be fair, the S has just received a price drop, the X hasn't even been released.
By the time the X releases, i believe Sony might drop the Pro's price.

Like, why throw away money now when the X isn't even on shelves yet.

Sony ain't dropping Pro price till next year

We'll get Bundles galore for $399.99 with a game or two packed in to give you the sense of "savings" or game + like 6 months of PS+

I think PS4 Slim might get cut to $199.99 for insanity reasons for the holidays as standalone and $249.99 with Bundle stuff

Hilarious they didn't care about specs at the start of a generation when shit was 900p but years after millions have made their choice they want to dick wave? Too little too late for too much money.

These halfstep consoles were a trash idea since day one.

kmax

Phil needs to look at Microsoft's game output since Sony has pretty much been competing with themselves these past few years.

They've had to restart multiple times with the Kinect and the connectivity / used game fiasco, and the fact that they haven't gotten the most important thing right yet is alarming.

So TLDR: Stop wasting time and focus on the areas that gamers are screaming for you to work on.

Elios83

The Xbox One S can't even compete with the original PS4 let alone the Pro.
It's obvious that Phil Spencer has to justify why the console costs 500$ and the competition will probably cost 349$ when they launch but he's living in a bubble.

giphy.gif

This was exactly the phrase that came to mind for me too.

That's just dumb, Phil.

Discusguy

Already have a Pro over the XB S. So I kind of see where Phil is coming from. Either way I don't care. 2018 is going to be an amazing year for multi console owners.

“When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.”

That's a strange PR, because here is what the "4K Ultra HD" logo on Xbox One packshot means according to Xbox Wire :

A game has a 2160p frame buffer output. That includes Native 4K, Checkerboarding, and Dynamic Resolution.

Curufinwe

In Phil's defense, he was responding to the question of why the One X is $100 more than a PS4 Pro.

There are ways to promote the extra graphical fidelity XOX will have over the Pro without misleadingly comparing the Pro to the Xbone S.

Not Phil's best moment.

Fergie

Banned
MS really hated being the weakest console for most of this gen it seems. 😅

Still he's trying to sell a console so it's not surprising.

Ah, I remember just a few months ago when Gaf lost their minds about the pro and then subsequently went ballistic when Sony didn't include a UHD drive. A mere year later, here we are again but with a more powerful console and a UHD drive and yet still...

GHG

Gold Member
That's a strange PR, because here is what the "4K Ultra HD" logo on Xbox One packshot means according to Xbox Wire :

The guy is just tripping over himself.

He's probably taken a lot of heat on Twitter since 499 was revealed but really... Somebody needs to tell him to take a deep breath and think about what he's saying. Either that or stop talking.

trixx

Hilarious they didn't care about specs at the start of a generation when shit was 900p but years after millions have made their choice they want to dick wave? Too little too late for too much money.

I think it could be a good idea if the price was right. The value is there as if you have a 4k t.v. this would be very appealing as the go to multimedia player. A lot of people with original Xbox may have upgraded and maybe some ps4 players would buy it as a secondary console.

Of course $499 price is realistic and I and many people are crow for the price but even if they lost money at $399, I'm sure they could recuperate it from live and games

That's not how the substitution effect works Phil Spencer. Why are you in power if you can't understand micro 101 subjects? This is basic competition stuff here.

$100 difference, with the difference between the two being one is Native 4K (4K still requiring a hefty investment outside of the console itself), the other Dynamic.

Oh but the PS4 has a wider range of video games.

Sony has been through this before. It's why the 360 was winning for years; despite the hardware problems, the 360 was cheaper. Since it was cheaper, it had a larger install base. Because of its install base, it typically had a wider range of games, it had leverage over third party developers, and it sold more games as a result.

It took years, mottled with price cuts, for the PS3 to catch up outside of Japan.

Now you are in a position of weakness. Your console is effectively a meme price, and you don't even have Ridge Racer.

The average person doesn't care about 4K -- they generally buy video games to play video games. The average person is still in the 720~1080 resolution range.

Like, none of this actually makes sense to me. It just reeks of conceit, a blindness to the market.

Did they profit so little off the Xbox in recent years that they can't even afford a Microecon textbook?

I don't think I'm off base, here. This is typical business bullshit, ignoring the market because you're a true believer in your product. You cannot be a true believer in a competitive market.

So apparently it's hard to develop hardware and first-party games at the same time, that a focus on one has greatly impacted the other.

What a shock. I'm sure his peers at Sony and Nintendo can empathise...

No, they don't.

Fergie

Banned
Ah, I remember just a few months ago when Gaf lost their minds about the pro and then subsequently went ballistic when Sony didn't include a UHD drive. A mere year later, here we are again but with a more powerful console and a UHD drive and yet still...
Are you trying to say nonsense like SonyGAF?

jeffram

Always encouraging for the head of you company to be delusional...

NEVER have two consoles been more technically similar than the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X.

Phil really does rub me up the wrong way. Just reeks of that sleazy used car salesman vibe.

Also there's no way in hell its going to have everything running at native 4K.

6tf isn't actually that much power. PC GPU's that run rings round it already struggle hitting true 4K more often than not, so unless it's a title that manages to hit 1080p on the base model, which is rare outside first party games, there's no way in hell we'll not be seeing almost as many Faux K titles on the XOX as on PS4Pro.

“I do think we have an opportunity to get better in first-party and to grow,” says Spencer. “We've got great support from the company to go do that.”

Spencer had been living under a rock. The Xbox division lost that support shortly after Nadella came into power.

Blizzje

I disagree and I will mention the XOX in the same breath as the ps4 pro. 6TF is hardly enough to handle most modern games at ultra/4k settings, you need 11+ TF for that.
If I upgrade to XOX coming from my PS4 Pro, it will be a very small upgrade. It doesn't really matter if it is real 4K compared to checkerboard, it is the ultra settings / 4k textures that make the difference.

Play a checkerboarded PS4 Pro game and compare it to a 1080ti 4k ultra game being played on pc. The difference is in texture quality, effects and fps. The upgrade from my Xbox One to a XOX is probably not as big a jump as I want it to be because of that, so I probably won't bother. The price is also a turnoff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Eh, it'll have nicer GPU effects at most, realistically better texture filtering, AA and 4K rendering and not much else. Yeah the GPU is stronk but most of that'll go into 4K rendering anyway because that shit isn't cheap.

Still held back by Jaguar so.

Caio

I don't know how such a fool can be choosen to do PR for MS, and speak in public, he is embarassing, really.

XBox X is a great piece of technology, but it needs games, new IP, rather than native 4K. Better specs are always an advantage, but you need games first of all, and personally I see PS4 PRO a better system for gaming, my taste and opinion.

The difference in specs between X and PRO are comparable to PS4 VS X1, so this Phil really is making a fool of himself...

This guy should not represent the XBox brand, please MS.

weekev

Banned
The XBOXOX certainly is an amazing piece of kit on paper, but until I have some games to make it worthwhile it's competing with nothing at that price IMHO.

Fdkn

He just played himself with that comment, there will be non native games as it happened with every console before

StereoVsn

Isn't broadly speaking Xbone X is about as more powerful as PS4 Pro as OG PS4 was vs OG Xbone? Then what did Xbone compete with then, PS3?

Overall I guess we shall see come these Holidays when Pro will likely hit $350 with a game.

jeffram

Yes, specs weren't important, games were important, that's why he secured 1 BILLION DOLLARS for first party development.

I don't know how such a fool can be choosen to do PR for MS, and speak in public, he is embarassing, really.

XBox X is a great piece of technology, but it needs games, new IP, rather than native 4K. Better specs are always an advantage, but you need games first of all, and personally I see PS4 PRO a better system for gaming, my taste and opinion.

The difference in specs between X and PRO are comparable to PS4 VS X1, so this Phil really is making a fool of himself...

This guy should not represent the XBox brand, please MS.
Meh people who don't pay attention to gaming will listen to this PR. You see it in other industries all the time.

Top Bottom