• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Digital Foundry is going to be interesting. But l do expect XBox X to use some of those Pro techniques as l don't expect everything to scale up to 4K given some Xbox games run at 720p.

TBiddy

That was a Eurogamer interview, but he did say the same thing there so I imagine a lot of the comments will be the same. Seems like we need a "Phil Spencer says a thing |OT|" more than ever.

This is obviously the official PR line they're doubling-down on. I find it quite amusing.

The article from TheVerge is based on the Eurogamer-interview. But yes, a Phil Spencer OT would be a good idea. He's posting billions of interviews each time there's something new regarding Xbox.

I have a PS4 Pro and 4K capable PC connected to a 50” 4K TV. I can’t see the difference between 1440p and 4K. This “true 4K” thing just isn’t something anyone is really going to notice.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They drank their own power kool-aid, didn't they? As if the ''I saw the most powerful console'' t-shirts weren't cringey enough. Whatever Phil, you haven't given us a big enough reason to buy the damn console.

Shiggy

I think he's very right. The Xbox One S will be the main competitor of both PS4 and PS4 Pro. Mainly because I don't expect the Xbox One X to sell very well, both due to its price and its lineup.

He should get off of his high horse, the PS4 Pro competes with Xbox One X in the same degree the Xbox One competes with regular PS4, only PS4 gets many more games.
And isn't 499$

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This thread should be fun :)

I see Scorpio and the Pro as competitors, although the S and the Pro are closer priced.

Even then I can't see someone picking an S over the much more powerful Pro

Umm...

S - $249.99
Pro - $399.99

$150 Difference

Pro - $399.99
X1X - $499.99

$100 Difference

So how are S and Pro closer priced?

Widge

yeah, so you keep saying...

Yeah this is their issue right now. They've got no chance of winning back third party mass market support, and this machine won't solve that. Sony mitigated the damage on the PS3 with their support, putting them well in the driving seat when they snatched back the third party attention on PS4. There are years of mentality shift to resolve for MS.

All eyes on the next machines. Whoever comes out of the blocks fastest, cheapest and leanest will be on the front foot.

le.phat

Phil still trying to have a conversation about specs lol. People moved the fuck on Phil. Try again next gen, this generation is a wrap.

Phil needs a safe zone after this E3.

Lmao. Now I hope the Pro sells more than Scorpio.

No need for hope friend, Sony's position is ironclad this generation.

The Ps4 Pro quotes are to be expected, trying to communicate the difference but this

Finally, Spencer addresses the lack of first-party game announcements during Microsoft's E3 press conference. Microsoft had plenty of big games to show, but in terms of announcements it was only Forza Motorsport 7 as a truly new triple-A title. Spencer believes Ori, Super Lucky's Tale, and Sea of Thieves serve as solid announcements, but he admits he has been heavily focused on hardware over the past few years since taking over the chief Xbox role. ”I do think we have an opportunity to get better in first-party and to grow," says Spencer. ”We've got great support from the company to go do that."

Spencer also notes Microsoft has signed some ”things we haven't announced" but that it's too early to build hype about.

This guy, constantly hyping fans up with this 'wait till the next one' speech

jmaine_ph

How are the S and Pro even being mentioned in the same sentence when the S isn't even more powerful than the OG PS4? 🤔

Fliesen

Umm...

S - $249.99
Pro - $399.99

$150 Difference

Pro - $399.99
X1X - $499.99

$100 Difference

So how are S and Pro closer priced?

to be fair, the S has just received a price drop, the X hasn't even been released.
By the time the X releases, i believe Sony might drop the Pro's price.

Like, why throw away money now when the X isn't even on shelves yet.

I don't see the problem with checkerboard rendering and I doubt the masses can tell the difference. Of course the One X is more powerful, but you can't play Nioh, Nier, or any of the other third party titles that had no business skipping Xbox on it. I'll probably end up with a One X at some point but Sony is doing just fine with the Pro. The One X isn't "in a league of its own" as far as competition.

trixx

I'm feeling put off by the arrogance. Certainly someone on the Xbox team must understand that it doesn't matter how powerful a system is if it lacks game support.

This is another 2013 level fiasco in my opinion.
They really dropped the ball on this, could've been a great event. The "most powerful console" isn't what's going to sell the consoles. it's the games and value proposition

I'm sure many would have been interested in this

Mik2121

Edit: Re-reading the interview, it's not that bad really. Still silly to have this kind of comments, but oh well.

mike4001_

WHO CARES
Phil just focus on your console and stop debating about PS4 Pro.

Such a childish behaviour.

He was kind of asked about it in the interview

Eurogamer: Are you not worried about being $100 more expensive than the PS4 Pro?

Phil Spencer: I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X. This is a true 4K console. .....

SJRB

Gold Member
This is exactly why I don't like Spencer. Why even say something like this? The Verge knows he's talking nonsense, their readers know, he himself knows.

There's no reason to say something stupid like this. I understand saying the PS4 Pro is a competitor navigates the Xbox X in a more unfavourable position considering its price point difference, but come on now.

Larogue

maxresdefault.jpg

AtkO

In Phil's defense, he was responding to the question of why the One X is $100 more than a PS4 Pro.

Yea, the way the question was asked forced his hand on the answer... you can't expect Phil to say something along the lines "well, it's more or less the same, just a bit better"... come on people.

He knows (or so I hope) that 40% power over the PS4 doesn't justify a new category as he says, because the PS4 Pro is 3 times more powerful than the X1S and if you were to make a scale, the PS4 is definitely a direct competitor to X1X than the X1S.

All in all, Phil couldn't answer anything other than that, because the question itself wasn't really fair.

ps3ud0

Interesting PR - I'm sure it will galvanise the type of people that are considering the XBOX. So for that alone Spencer's doing his job...

...but how far will it take them? Still think establishing a plethora of first party developers and games is the better long-term strategy as opposed to the more powerful console and rely on just the best multiplatform (console) experiences.

ps3ud0 8)

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Can you guys imagine Sony sayong the Xbox One isn't our direct competitor I mean 40% more Gpu power ,more RAM available and the speed of the storage as well as transfer speed and GDDR5?

That is just console war fuel and it is stupid.

Cornbread78

Oh, how cute...

Phil, your trying to hard, sell it for what it is; the most power console available. We are all witnesses of it's power now.

Top Bottom