• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

Snubbers

PS4P has 4,2Tflops
XOX has 6Tflops.
1.8 is not 50% more than 4,2.

Perhaps this is part of the reason arguments ensue. Of course you are correct, it's 42.86% more, however I was using simple man maths for back of a cigarette packet calculations for a figure that is actually 'appreciably more'.. i.e. ~6 TFlops is 50% more than ~4 TFlops, not that it actually matters..

The point was, which ever way it's spun, it's clear the X1X has more HP, the exact figure is actually hard/impossible to determine, since as a system is is 'approaching' 50% more in key areas, and how do you differentiate that to your average user who thinks native 4K across the board is a binary spec point that differentiates console performance.

BTW, I love the PS4P, I love GT Sport, total pinnacles of their class, but I am under no illusion about the X1X, it will be able to get closer to 4K in more situations than the PS4P..

I am sure someone cleverer than me could think of a marketing 'point' (i.e. the 4K symbol and one or two words) that would prevent people from
A: Incorrectly thinking it was directly comparable (spec wise) to the PS4P
B. Was 100% correct in all instances
C. Factors in things like the UHD Blur-ray player allowing 4K content

My simple answer would be to just put '4K' but then everyone would complain it needs qualifying, which gets you back to square one.. (Probably why I don't work in marketing)..

This is a poor line of reasoning from Phil.

The Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro simply aren't on the same level, these are facts.

He should have simply made the comparison between XB1X and PS4P. They are competitors, one is stronger and faster than the other.

No need for this useless and factually incorrect shade which just riles up warriors.

Totally agree.. I was just posting about the True 4K stuff, the actual PS4P competes with the X1S is laughable, and he should come and see the difference on my setup, night and day..

Costia

Hmm.
So the XboneX has 40% more performance which puts it in a different league than the ps4 pro.
And the PS4 pro has ~x4 more performance than the Xbone, which makes them direct competitors.

So he's saying that the OG PS4 with +30% performance is in a different league than the Xbone.
And the Xbone with ~x5 the performance is actually a direct competitor of the PS3.

amidoinitrite?

The Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro simply aren't on the same level, these are facts.

He should have simply made the comparison between XB1X and PS4P. They are competitors, one is stronger and faster than the other.

No need for this useless and factually incorrect shade which just riles up warriors.

I feel like people forget that at the end of the day this is a guy doing his job. What is he suppose to say? What is he supposed to do? He's not here to walk on egg shells cause it might hurt some fanboys feelings. I think it's simple, he's out there to push his product and these quotes will end up in some news paper or some magazine. Some random casuals will read it and say "hmm, that Xbox has the best specs. It must be the best out of the 3 and call of duty looks really good". That's all this is. Also, he works on this stuff every day. He may totally be drinking the cool aid. For all u know he actually really feels that the hardware in the Xb1X puts it in a leaugue of its own. Disagree with the guy, but don't attack him personally. U don't really know how secure or insecure he actually is. I'm willing to bet he makes a pretty good salary and has a pretty good life.

I don't know perhaps try to market the machine on its own merit instead of making ridiculous comparisons like this that only makes him look like an idiot. If he really belive that the two are not comparable and people won't think twice about which one to get when looking at a "high end" console he should probably not get any raise IMO.

b0bbyJ03

he could just not draw up comparisons (especially absurd ones) and promote the console on it's own merits? i mean, just an idea.

Appreciate the sarcasm but did U even read what I wrote? Its his right to promote the console in whatever manner he sees fit just like it's your right to disagree with him and even say that u don't trust him or whatever other feeling u have about his statements but there is no need to attack the man personally. That's all.

Is stupid to say this kind of thing when we have pages like Digital Foundry, also... Is a 6TF machine with jaguar cores... Not a magic box.

Lemondish

I feel like people forget that at the end of the day this is a guy doing his job. What is he suppose to say? What is he supposed to do? He's not here to walk on egg shells cause it might hurt some fanboys feelings. I think it's simple, he's out there to push his product and these quotes will end up in some news paper or some magazine. Some random casuals will read it and say "hmm, that Xbox has the best specs. It must be the best out of the 3 and call of duty looks really good". That's all this is. Also, he works on this stuff every day. He may totally be drinking the cool aid. For all u know he actually really feels that the hardware in the Xb1X puts it in a leaugue of its own. Disagree with the guy, but don't attack him personally. U don't really know how secure or insecure he actually is. I'm willing to bet he makes a pretty good salary and has a pretty good life.

Maybe he could stop saying absurd shit and instead promote his new system using games rather than shots at the competition. Might actually result in sales rather than fanboy points in Internet forums. It's not about "his right" because nobody attacked him. His message is being attacked because it's rubbish and hypocritical.

Lemondish

Seems like a silly quote when PS4 Pro has games that look like Horizon.

Or, and this is the kicker, when your new marketing initiative says "True 4k" but also includes the exact same techniques that the Pro uses to achieve 4k resolutions when a game is not native.

N30RYU

It's the cloud and the secret sauce all over again and again.

At the end the ppl who will drop 500$ for a console will do it not for the specs but for the exclusive games you can play on it.

It's simple math. The more install base you have the more developers are gonna release for you.

Well, we already know a lot of games will be checkerboard 4K and not 30 fps.
Just like the Pro. But i'm sure XboXX will have more games in native 4K

Work on those exclusives Phil.

KORNdoggy

Appreciate the sarcasm but did U even read what I wrote? Its his right to promote the console in whatever manner he sees fit just like it's your right to disagree with him and even say that u don't trust him or whatever other feeling u have about his statements but there is no need to attack the man personally. That's all.

he's lying. he's a liar. that's what people are saying, that isn't "attacking the man" it's an observation based on truth.

i mean they have the most powerful console, they don't need to resort to this petty BS. hell, they don't even need to go into the minutia of the consoles ability to be native 4K. all he has to say was, "yeah, the pro is our competition, but we're 40% faster" done, finished, console appears better, no childish shade throwing.

imagine if sony said the xbone was only good enough to be competing with the PS3. it's a dumb statement nobody should be making. instead they just stuck to the facts of the matter and promoted the console based on it's merits. it does 1080p more consistently than the xbox. that was it. a factual statement. it's hard to argue with facts.

what phil is doing here is making shit up because for whatever reason, he feels insecure about the situations despite having the best machine. he doesn't need to lie to make his hardware appear better. it is better.

thelastword

Banned
Let me tell you something...I can guarantee that by the end of this generation, best looking and most technically advanced games on any console will be Sony first party games (GoW, TLoU, Horizon..etc) ... Also people here are really exaggerating X power, Difference with Pro will be Native vs checkerboard period.
It depends, I can see checkerboard 2160p on PRO vs native on XBONEX, but that means PRO will have some juice left for better AA, AF etc...

From the spec details, the difference between the consoles is actually 3200 x 1800 on PRO and 3840 x 2160 on XBONEX, it may even be higher on PRO depending on the game......Personally I'd opt for 2160CB on PRO over 1800p upscaled, the perf and the effects advantage you could push would be substantial, whilst maintaining even a sharper image over 1800p upscaled.

In any case, what many people will realize is that XBONEX will not hit 4k native on many titles regardless, it's not that powerful.

He is right.

I really wish Sony would have made the Pro better, because I don't give a shit about the games on Xbox One.

If you are going to make a high end product, do it.
Business does not work like this, you're in it to make a profit. Go all out you say, but how many people would be fine with a $600.00 to $700.00 mid gen console, they would just stay on the shelves. yes a few hardcores like you and I would buy it regardless, but it would not be profitable for them if they did...Look at how people are reacting to the XBONEX at $499.99, it's not going to light the sales chart on fire, I can tell you that......especially when you will be getting pro deals and bundles this holiday for much less..

onQ123

Hmm.
So the XboneX has 40% more performance which puts it in a different league than the ps4 pro.
And the PS4 pro has ~x4 more performance than the Xbone, which makes them direct competitors.

So he's saying that the OG PS4 with +30% performance is in a different league than the Xbone.
And the Xbone with ~x5 the performance is actually a direct competitor of the PS3.

amidoinitrite?

What he said seem even crazier when you look at the actual hardware difference in the consoles because Xbox One X only has 4 more usable CU's vs PS4 Pro while PS4 has 6 more usable CU's vs Xbox One .

The things that really set Xbox One X apart from PS4 Pro is the 3GB more of memory & the higher clock rates but PS4 Pro is also using a Vega feature that's not available on Xbox One X .

It's kinda disrespectful to the consumer's intelligence to try & make PS4 Pro seem closer to Xbox One S than Xbox One X.

Maybe he could stop saying absurd shit and instead promote his new system using games rather than shots at the competition. Might actually result in sales rather than fanboy points in Internet forums. It's not about "his right" because nobody attacked him. His message is being attacked because it's rubbish and hypocritical.

Or, and this is the kicker, when your new marketing initiative says "True 4k" but also includes the exact same techniques that the Pro uses to achieve 4k resolutions when a game is not native.

This.

Exactly.

And it's not like he doesn't have the somewhat stronger machine, so he doesn't even need to resort to this stuff, but he will, because this type of muddying the waters is how he's always rolled.

And this is why Sony doesn't want anything to do with Microsoft, including crossplay. Why would abyone join forces with a rival that always brags/trolls how much better their products are than yours?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
And this is why Sony doesn't want anything to do with Microsoft, including crossplay. Why would abyone join forces with a rival that always brags/trolls how much better their products are than yours?

How the tables turn lol. Just wait till DF get their claws in.

thelastword

Banned

You don't have to be a warrior to realize Phil is not being upfront about things. I get it, he's under tremendous pressure, they don't have the first party games neither the FP studios to compete with Sony. In essence if XBONEX fails, Phil and the division will be in a lot of trouble, so it's really no holds barred for him now, but I don't think MS can afford to taint their reputation even further, so it's really a double whammy situation for them, especially when you want to sell a mid-gen console that's $499.99 in November. People will ask why I'm I paying the extra 100.00 or perhaps even 150 extra if you can get the PRO for $350.00.

Lets not kid ourselves, it will be a hard sell come November with PS4 Slim at 250, PRO at 350-400 and Switch at $400.00 hitting another demographic....What had to save them was the games, but forget about new IP's, they have not even announced an enhanced version of their flagship franchise Halo....Halo5 and MCC collection at 4k 60fps....totally missing from their conference...

Top Bottom