• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

statham

Again, it's basically the same as the difference between Xbox One and PS4. Obvious difference and that will show. As it should. Xbox One X is $100 more.

bigger difference, no GDDR in XBO, faster CPU and 3.5 GB of extra fast memory, for better loading, draw distance and textures.and 50% better bandwith.

Crayon

bigger difference, no GDDR in XBO, faster CPU and 3.5 GB of extra fast memory, for better loading, draw distance and textures.and 50% better bandwith.

We saw everything at the conference on x1x. It looked nice and especially sharp but most people weren't blown away. It might be a big difference to you but it's really not that way for everyone.

statham

We saw everything at the conference on x1x. It looked nice and especially sharp but most people weren't blown away. It might be a big difference to you but it's really not that way for everyone.

you should speak for most people like its a fact. Speak for yourself, not for others. I was blown away by Forza.

edit: I also imagine it'll take Devs a little more time to use the extra ram, the easy push is to increase Res, like many have done on Pro, but the Ark team decided along with increased Reso, they increased draw distant, 60 fps, and improved textures along with other things.

cakely

ouch on the Pro. both of those make a huge difference and both look about 50% improvement on XBX,

Yes, wow, "ouch" is how I'd describe it. I don't know how I ever used the PS4 Pro now that I've seen that graph, it causes me physical pain just to look at it.

Almost unfair.
Fear nothing.
Pixel purity.

Crayon

you should speak for most people like its a fact. Speak for yourself, not for others. I was blown away by Forza.

Most people know you were delighted. And I thank you on their behalf for reminding them. As for their reaction to the actual graphics on display, I don't need to speak for anyone.

rokkerkory

BS trying to talk for 'most people' lol

The interviews and journalists generally have said the games look great. Power of 1X isn't the issue here.

Phil Spencer is one of the slimiest fucks in the industry. I love how he deluded a lot of people into thinking when he became head of the division that it was a change of the guard haha.

This.

And he'd been in charge of the studios for years since even before he took over.
"Almost unfair" LOL

Yet none of the X1X games looked as good as God of War, which was reportedly running on a vanilla PS4. Shut yer trap Phil.

And not even just God of War.

42jAwHI.gif

statham

Yes, wow, "ouch" is how I'd describe it. I don't know how I ever used the PS4 Pro now that I've seen that graph, it causes me physical pain just to look at it.

Almost unfair.
Fear nothing.
Pixel purity.
For $399 the pro is a great system.

No it's not. Xb1 has 68gb/s of bandwidth of main memory compared to 2x + main memory bandwidth on PS4 at 176. GPU difference between PS4 and XB1 is 40%. The only thing that is different between the two is the 3.5gb for textures. The CPU is the same on the one x and pro with the one x being 200 mhz faster. Neither the pro nor the one x are 4k machines. The GTX 1080 paired with an i7 is a 1440p machine at 60fps, the 1080ti paired with the same CPU is barely a 4k machine. The one x with an rx580 and the pro with an rx470 are definitely not 4k machines. They aren't even 60 fps machines with those netbook CPUs.

Balfour

The issue isn't Xb1X power. It's that he said Pro isn't competition like he's in denial that just as many people will not buy Pro for 4k experience than XB1X. That's like if Sony said the 1S is competition for base PS4 only

Xbox is superior yes, but not the amount like a true next gen. If it only ran exclusive title the 1S could not, then it probably would be on it's own

statham

No it's not. Xb1 has 68gb/s of bandwidth of main memory compared to 2x + main memory bandwidth on PS4 at 176. GPU difference between PS4 and XB1 is 40%. The only thing that is different between the two is the 3.5gb for textures. The CPU is the same on the one x and pro with the one x being 200 mhz faster. Neither the pro nor the one x are 4k machines. The GTX 1080 paired with an i7 is a 1440p machine at 60fps, the 1080ti paired with the same CPU is barely a 4k machine. The one x with an rx580 and the pro with an rx470 are definitely not 4k machines. They aren't even 60 fps machines with those netbook CPUs.

where did I lie, its a bigger difference from XBO and PS4? XBX is much more a 4k machine then Pro. we are already seeing that. Yes not every game will be 4k, but compared to the Pro. I mean Come on.

Snubbers

Whilst I hate Phil's marketing nonsense, the simple fact is that the x1x is simply a step above the ps4 in every aspect,

4k uhd bluray player
50% more GPU Tflops
50% more Ram quantity
50% more Ram Bandwidth
CPU is 10% faster and customised

In terms of 4k improvements on PS4P, I think it's fair to say that:
- It can play 4k UHD blurays
- It can have more 4k textures used more often
- is less reliant on checkerboard in etc, FM7 is native 4k 60 with 30% GPU resource left.

I know it's stretching the truth, but saying the ps4p is the same as an x1x is as wrong as saying the x1x is a generation ahead of the ps4p and the only true 4k system.

Depending on your viewpoint, to me the x1x is to the ps4p as the ps4p is to the ps4. Not a generational leap, but significant enough.

pixelation

It's a shame then, that there are no stand out titles (let's not even mention actual exclusives, and 1st party titles) to show it's superiority isn't?, you sure did not seem to think it through. You get the bragging rights sure... but i don't think those sell (that many) consoles.

statham

It's a shame then, that there are no stand out titles (let's not even mention actual exclusives, and 1st party titles) to show it's superiority isn't?, you sure did not seem to think it through. You get the bragging rights sure... but i don't think those sell (that many) consoles.

isn't every 1st party going to be 4k, and we have lists, I've seen them. 60 titles are going to be 4k, so far.

statham

Whilst I hate Phil's marketing nonsense, the simple fact is that the x1x is simply a step above the ps4 in every aspect,

4k uhd bluray player
50% more GPU Tflops
50% more Ram quantity
50% more Ram Bandwidth

- is less reliant on checkerboard in etc, FM7 is native 4k 60 with 30% GPU resource left.

I know it's stretching the truth, but saying the ps4p is the same as an x1x is as wrong as saying the x1x is a generation ahead of the ps4p and the only true 4k system.

Depending on your viewpoint, to me the x1x is to the ps4p as the ps4p is to the ps4. Not a generational leap, but significant enough.

remember when in any xbox thread peeps would post PS4 specs, in literally any xbox thread? even when it had othing to do with the game? bam! PS4 specs.

Sirius

Here's the thing though: anyone that focused on specs will go for (or already has) a gaming PC. At the end of the day it really is about the software MS had in mind when building the OneX.

ISee

Pretty much this, but the x1x should be able to push games to 4k/30 @ console settings with pc textures. At least the majority. It is closer in being a 4k console than the pro.

Trace

Banned
What is with this obsession with power coming from now from the console warriors? Both consoles are garbage compared to a decent PC from a power point of view, that's not why people play consoles. And both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are going to give you a comparable experience for 4k games.

Upinsmoke

Hahahhahahah so funny

I can just see the next press release

"Xbox One X sold the most of true 4k systems"
"Xbox One S sold more than its direct competitor, the Playstation 4 Pro!"

Grinchy

Banned
He sounds like a parent who is blindly and overly proud of his kid for playing tee-ball. Maybe there's something sweet about that.

VanWinkle

where did I lie, its a bigger difference from XBO and PS4? XBX is much more a 4k machine then Pro. we are already seeing that. Yes not every game will be 4k, but compared to the Pro. I mean Come on.

Yes, Xbox One X will have more games in native 4K than Pro. And it will probably be close to directly proportional to the amount of games that PS4 has in 1080p compared to XB1's sub-1080p.

4k uhd bluray player
50% more GPU Tflops
50% more Ram quantity
50% more Ram Bandwidth

I may end up eating crow because I haven't looked through this whole thread, but, bro. Find me ONE person in here who says that PS4 Pro is the same power wise as the Xbox One X.

As to your last point, it's just not true. There are quantifiable facts that show this. PS4 is 1.4x more powerful than Xbox One. PS4 Pro is 2.3x more powerful than PS4. Xbox One X is 1.4x more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So Xbox one wasn't competing with PS3? Same ratio of lower compared to PS4. Arguably more noticeable difference in resolutions in games - checkerboard 4K widely reviewed to be a good balance of image quality vs performance

Also the 'true 4k' is already not true for many third part games so xbonx will also have dynamic/checkerboard

I get that he has to argue against pro - especially due to the high price of the 1x and potential price cut on a pro around the holidays so he really wants to avoid a direct comparison. But surely there are better ways to get an argument across than frankly asinine comments like that?

The comment about lack of first party content because he was focused on hardware the last few years is ducking damning though. Hire someone else ffs - you can't just ignore it like that. Jesus

You could argue that MS dogged insistence on pushing for true 4K could waste the increased power of xbonx - checkerboard like ps pro and use the extra power to add more detail or effects

Deuterium

Phil Spencer is one of the slimiest fucks in the industry. I love how he deluded a lot of people into thinking when he became head of the division that it was a change of the guard haha.

Personal character attacks, such as this, should illicit a temporary ban. What an outrageous and uncharitable things to say.

I would say the difference (on a percentage basis) between XBOX and Pro is roughly the same as between PS4 and XBO

The RAM amount advantage didn't even exist on the OG version. Clear point to XBOX

The ram bandwidth difference was much greater for PS4 vs XBO, point to OG PS4

The CPU advantage is greater for XBOX (especially considering the fact that OG PS4 was worse here), point to XBOX

The GPU advantage is 50% in both cases. Neither gets a point

XBOX is at a disadvantage on price while OG PS4 had an advantage. Clear point to PS4.

In the end the score is 2-2. If Pro is not a competitor to XBOX then neither was OG XBO to OG PS4.

pixelation

isn't every 1st party going to be 4k, and we have lists, I've seen them. 60 titles are going to be 4k, so far.

They can be 4K, i want to see something that is worth $499 because so far i haven't seen anything that warrants that. I am speaking subjectively of course... but the point stands and i am not alone in that sentiment. Why did they not showcase a 1st party title that truly shows us something that outclasses everything that's available or upcoming on the PS4?, it could be argued the PS4 had the best looking games this E3 and that's with the OX fresh out of the box.

2SeeKU

This thread has really brought out the Sony fanboys.

Sure, l don't agree with Phil's comments, but let's be honest, the best solution is:

c7NJRa2.gif

Hojaho

They can be 4K, i want to see something that is worth $499 because so far i haven't seen anything that warrants that. I am speaking subjectively of course... but the point stands and i am not alone in that sentiment. Why did they not showcase a 1st party title that truly shows us something that outclasses everything that's available or upcoming on the PS4?, it could be argued the PS4 had the best looking games this E3 and that's with the OX fresh out of the box.

Because MS on a marketing point of view is pushing for TRUE 4k. They basically need 4x the power of the OG XBOX One just for increasing the resolution from a 1080p game, and consequently don't have that much leftovers to increase the details per pixel you'd like to see to blow the competition away.

Rathorial

I kind of get the reasoning, but the Pro is still the direct competitor, as the base PS4 is still more powerful than the Xbox One S. Microsoft just swung big, and made a beefier high-end SKU for their machine, and it outperforms all the others.

If Microsoft wants to sell the Xbone X's power, then it can't just be pixel resolution they push with it. PS4's fake 4K upscale doesn't look as good as native 4K, but to enough average joe users the difference will be minor back to back...though the $100 price difference won't.

Edit: Seems like devs having the ability to do checkerboard fake 4k is possible on Xbone X, and I imagine many will do that to maintain performance and/or push fidelity elsewhere.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

4k uhd bluray player
50% more GPU Tflops
50% more Ram quantity
50% more Ram Bandwidth

This is almost as if a system coming out more than a year later at $100 more was supposed to be more powerful... ;). Given the circumstances, Xbox Scorpio performance and target HW is par for the course. It is good, but a year of extra R&D and a much higher retail price make it expected not OMG cannot believe how powerful it is.

Top Bottom