• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

Sure Phil.... XOne S competitor to PS4Pro...
Somebody with twitter, who could send to Spencer on twitter this?
kBiKM8D.png

nice

now make the same for RAM and Bandwith

Fuck off Phil and go fix the master chief collection

lol

thelastword

Banned
But the pro isnt a 4K console. If you have a big 4K TV, and you want to play on native res without buying a PC, Xbox one X is the only option.

MS got a lot of hate on xbox one with their games running in a lower res than PS4, probably the reason they're focusing so much on having an option to go full 4k.
Ehhh, So what are these native 4k games I've been playing on the PRO then...I guess it wasn't real now and was just a fantasy...

Technically, the One S can't even compete with the standard PS4. Did Microsoft just unlock some secret sauce?
Apparently they did. Perhaps if Phil forgot about a UHD player and instead concentrated on putting in a beefier CPU, I would understand that the performance differences would be something to talk about, but the rez differences 1800p vs 4k or 2160cb vs 4k will not change the tide for MS. They will look pretty close unlike 900p vs 1080p with the prominent blurriness and the upscaling artefacts at prevalent at 900p or even 720p on the XB1.

The real Phil Spencer has finally emerged.

Enough of the humble nice guy, he's turning into Kevin Durant
Ha, lol. Give it up Peter..I'm the biggest fan of Lebron, but Durant was on fire last night, he could do no wrong everything went in..smh.....Heh, never seen him cocky though...The two pros hugged right after the match...Du is a good guy..

I think he's right about the latter point. The PS4 pro is only

(a) slightly faster than a GTX 970 which is very unsuited to 4k
The XB1X is not so much better than that you know, so if PRO can't do 4k in a title, do not think this will translate to 4k on the XB1X in every scenario....They will be closer than you think.
Microsoft's PR site says they will put the 4K label on games that meet the following criteria:
4kv1u1b.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/
So this is the new Albert Penello QUOTE for future faceoffs? From all games will be 4k native to "all games will display at 4k".TM

To be fair imo MS need to use the same "rules" to put their "Enhanced"-sticker on a game, as Sony does with their Pro Enhanced label.

Its up to the developer to use the extra power that PS4 Pro and X1X provides, if a developer chooses to use checkerboard for their multiplat game, and Sony slap a 'Pro Enhanced'-sticker on the PS4 case, Im sure MS wanna be able to do the same.

Common sense.
But they are saying that essentially all games will be native 4k on their system unlike the competition and they even take jabs at checkerboarding methods et al..You know it will bite them in the ass right?

You guys understand that MS can't force developers to make their games run at native 4k right?

I am sure all first party MS games will be native 4k but beyond that it will be a mix of checkerboard, dynamic scaling and native all depending on the skill of the developers.
I'll hold you to that Azerphire, so all first party games will be native 4k? Gotchaa.............

Kevin

The Xbox One X may be the most powerful console but I think I'll stick with the console still supporting story-based sungle player gaming.

Ironically it is my opinion that the First party PS4 games visually looked much better then the exclusives coming to the Xbox One.

I was hyped for the Xbox One X and was even willing to pay the $500 but all they showed were more or less online games and a few indie titles. Nearly all of which I can get on my gaming PC. Was expecting quality exclusives and I feel we didn't get much here.

Microsoft needed a win this E3 and a $500 console with nearly no exclusives that offer a single player experience means they really dropped the ball and then proceded to step on it before launching a petty attack campaign on the successful PlayStation brand which always have good, unique, varried gaming content.

Crayon

-so-xbox-xguxr.png

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Edit: everyone is quoting me because I didn't quote the pic. Credit to panda-zebra for posting

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What he meant to say is that he hopes One S can match the sales of PS4 Pro

If this is where gaming is going...

Seriously, games already look good to the point that i really don't care about graphics so much anymore. Interesting concepts and fun gameplay is where it's at and Microsoft really showed very little of that (a way out was the only thing that really caught my attention). If "pixel purity" is really where they're focusing and not the gameplay possibilities that such power can really bring to the table then i really don't care about what they have to say at all.

KageMaru

This is as bad as Crazy Ken saying the 360 was competing with the PS2. Also by this measurement, the XBO must have been competing against the PS3 since it had a 40% weaker GPU than the PS4.

Sometimes you shouldn't speak Phil.

Phil Spencer is one of the slimiest fucks in the industry. I love how he deluded a lot of people into thinking when he became head of the division that it was a change of the guard haha.

reading this thread, and seeing posts like this, its mind blowing the lengths people go for console wars.

SHEESH. Making Phil spencer look like Putin for responding to a question and supporting his brand.

rsnl

Neo Member
If Phil thinks a 50% power gap means they aren't competitors does he also think a 100% sales gap means that the xbox brand is not a playstation competitor?

asking for a friend

ouch on the Pro. both of those make a huge difference and both look about 50% improvement on XBX,

Yeah his wording could have been MUCH better, but I guarantee we are gonna start seeingg a ton of third party games running better and better on Scorpio. Don't think I will pick one up but it would be cool to see Red Dead on this thing or something

VanWinkle

ouch on the Pro. both of those make a huge difference and both look about 50% improvement on XBX,

Again, it's basically the same as the difference between Xbox One and PS4. Obvious difference and that will show. As it should. Xbox One X is $100 more.

Top Bottom