• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

kulu

Neo Member
Sure Phil.... XOne S competitor to PS4Pro...
Somebody with twitter, who could send to Spencer on twitter this?
kBiKM8D.png

nelchaar

This guy is something else. Keep digging your hole, Phil. It's going to get harder and harder for you to justify the extra $100 (and let's face it, prob $150 when the Pro drops the price) and have this "non-competing" console almost match your "monster's" resolution.

Sagroth

Real response: Oh come on, it's an optional higher-end iterative console with similar boost mode features. It's the same thing.

Joking response: He's right. With $100 difference between the X and the Pro, there's no way the X will compete with the Pro.

The PS4 Pro is a mid generation refresh at a premium price over the baseline model that is geared towards gamers with 4k TVs.

Sounds just like the XB1S!

Phil, shut the fuck up.

Megatron

This guy is something else. Keep digging your hole, Phil. It's going to get harder and harder for you to justify the extra $100 (and let's face it, prob $150 when the Pro drops the price) and have this "non-competing" console almost match your "monster's" resolution.

To be fair, it's worth the $100 difference for the 4k blu ray player alone. All the added horsepower is just gravy.

The PS4 Pro is a mid generation refresh at a premium price over the baseline model that is geared towards gamers with 4k TVs.

Sounds just like the XB1S!

Phil, shut the fuck up.

No reason to get so mad, man. It's just video games.

finalflame

Sony not including a UHD-BR player in the Pro was fucking moronic. I own one, but only because I love Playstation exclusives and want to play whatever FROM's new PS-only IP will be. As others have said, the X is worth the extra $100 based on the UHD-BR drive alone, the rest of the additional horsepower is just a cherry on top.

lord pie

This irritates me.

When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that

They themselves recommend developers do exactly the same thing, just they just call it sparse rendering instead of checkerboard. And 40% more performance is no where near enough to go from checkerboard 4k to native 4k.

modsbox

Perhaps it's just my emotions coming off of the new Metroid announcements... but reading this thread just reminds me why I sold my Xbone and haven't bought a new one yet.

I hate the way with Microsoft it's always spin. Let the products and games speak for themselves. Pretending this thing doesn't compete with Pro is ridiculous.

I also think that though the price is a problem the device otherwise compares well with the Pro. Yes its $100 more, but you get UHD Bluray support, better visuals for multiplat titles, and the best experience for Xbox exclusive titles. That's not such a bad story.

If he doesn't think that he can convince someone interested in buying a Pro to buy one of these instead, how exactly does he think they're going to sell it? Who that's considering buying a $500 device like this isn't going to consider Pro, 1S and PS4 slim?

What they really need to realize is that if they're trying to sell a premium piece of hardware to enthusiasts, at $500, that those buyers aren't idiots. Especially not the first adopters that are going to throw down for one in November and get their friends to buy it later by selling them on it. So don't lie to them. Be honest. They understand specs. They know this hardware is not that superior to the Pro. Quit treating your potential buyers like morons, because they aren't.

People that are uneducated about this aren't your target. They'll buy a 1S or a PS4 Slim because it plays the same games and is hundreds of dollars cheaper. The ones you want to buy this? They'll educate themselves. The price is too high for people not to.

Top Bottom