• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

You used to belive all MS first party games will be native 4K on Xbox One X, watched the E3 conference, and changed your mind.

Im not saying you are wrong, but may I ask, what specifically in this years E3 conference made you change your mind?

the stench of bullshit tends to cause skepticism

AndyD

aka andydumi
"When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that."

This will come in handy if games on X are not solid 4k.

XBX is more powerful than PS4P, and there is no debating that, or downplaying it.

XBX>>PS4P>XBOS

We dont need people to argue about this.

That is kinda bullshit, if you want to use ">", the difference is more like:

XBX >> PS4P >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XB1S --- every ">" is +20% GPU power relative to the next console. Which one is closer?

kreole.png

They can't beat you if they aren't your competition

Nobody is debating that. You must be seeing things.

We have 10 pages on this. We dont need Phil, forum dwellers, or even analysts to tell us what we know.

XBX is a going to be the most powerful console on the market by a significant margin.

So i just see 10 pages of people overreacting to a comment. If he feels that it isnt in direct competition with PS4P, so be it. So many little things gets gamers on edge anymore.

Fliesen

We have 10 pages on this. We dont need Phil, forum dwellers, or even analysts to tell us what we know.

XBX is a going to be the most powerful console on the market by a significant margin.

So i just see 10 pages of people overreacting to a comment.

go ahead and quote anyone claiming that the Xbox One X is less powerful than the Pro. (which is what you're trying to refute, it seems...)

Fergie

Banned
I am not, in no way shape or form, a "console warrior". I'm not going to spend hours on here searching for posts for something that we all know it happens, is happening, and will happen again.
Your post screams frustration anyway.

Of course no examples would be provided, even if there are some posters, saying GAF etc is just a easy cop-out.

Kagero

Phil is on a role today haha. I'm willing to bet that by the end of this cycle the PS4Pro will still have the more technically impressive looking game then the XBOX X. It's all good though. What did you expect Phil to say? The guy has a tough job ahead of him.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You used to belive all MS first party games will be native 4K on Xbox One X, watched the E3 conference, and changed your mind.

Im not saying you are wrong, but may I ask, what specifically in this years E3 conference made you change your mind?
The content shown and them not hitting native 4K on all their first party games shown. I was expecting them to fully show us extensive demos of 4K native first party games with all kinds of bells & whistles at 30fps(realistic lol) other than Forza. I did not get the quality or the confidence I was looking for. And the most impressive game(s) shown at their conference was running on beast 1080/Ti PC instead of the actual dev kit/console.

And yet most impressive games were on ps4(pro). Get some good developers phil ...

I'm day one for Xbox X I love tech. But I don't think anybody will see much differences.
1st party PS4 will be better looking as devs are better.
3rd party will be 1800-2160 cb vs native 4k
I honestly don't see any difference.
Wipeout looks the same. Games like Titanfall or horizon are crystal clear and looks native. 99,9% of people won't see anything. And I'm playing on a 65" oled very close from the tv.
Native 4K gets way more attention than it deserves. As you point out, virtually no one is going to be able to tell the difference unless specifically looking for it. The real difference will be that the X will use higher resolution textures and have a more stable frame rate in some games.

go ahead and quote anyone claiming that the Xbox One X is less powerful than the Pro. (which is what you're trying to refute, it seems...)

Not even remotely saying they were. What im saying is we dont need 10 pages of people picking a comment a part. If he doesnt view it as competition, then so be it.

Soi-Fong

I'm loving how smug Phil is here. Just shows how out of touch the Xbox division is in general. It's almost like they're not behind by a 2:1 ratio.

Keep on drinking the kool-aid Phil. It's entertaining for sure.

Fergie

Banned

So i just see 10 pages of people overreacting to a comment. If he feels that it isnt in direct competition with PS4P, so be it. So many little things gets gamers on edge anymore.

Your original post says different.

"So many little things gets gamers on edge anymore."

Yeah, indeed.

VanWinkle

XBX is more powerful than PS4P, and there is no debating that, or downplaying it.

XBX>>PS4P>XBOS

We dont need people to argue about this.

Wait. Hold on. Are you implying that the power difference between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro is BIGGER than the gap between PS4 Pro and Xbox One S?

XB1X: 6TF
PS4P: 4.2TF
XB1S: 1.3TF

PS4 Pro has 3.2x more power than XB1S. XB1X has 1.4x more power than PS4P.

I'm sure it's been said a million times in here, but the difference in power between XB1X and PS4P is the same proportionally to the difference in power between PS4 and XB1S. So it's insulting for Spencer to say something like this.

There is no massive difference. If anyone thinks xbox one x is going to blow away Ps4 Pro they are going to be sorely disappointed.

The Multi platform developers will not want to alienate their other fanbase too much so while I think there will be some differences it will not be a major gulf. The first party games will be the ones that shine on the consoles and frankly I trust that Playstation's first party developers will do that better.

Did you read the article by the ARK: Survival Evolved developer?, he seems to think there is quite a difference, will be interesting to hear what other devs say..

sublimit

Banned
I find this whole thing of executives choosing who's their competitor and who isn't very funny lol.Just like when Sony said that the Switch isn't a competitor to PS4. XD

Wait. Hold on. Are you implying that the power difference between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro is BIGGER than the gap between PS4 Pro and Xbox One S?

I'm sure it's been said a million times in here, but the difference in power between XB1X and PS4P is the same proportionally to the difference in power between PS4 and XB1S. So it's insulting for Spencer to say something like this.

In all fairness the power differences amount to more than just the flop ratings. There's the increased CPU performance, increased ram performance among others. I agree with you; it's a bit insulting to try to play the X up as competing against....nothing? (since he says the Pro is competing against the S). I don't know it's a weird statement to make. I get what he's trying to do but it's insulting to the audience who most likely already own a competing console or are at least aware of what the Pro does. The X isn't gaming Jesus; it's a more powerful Pro. I'm pretty turned off by all this. This gen is turning nasty. Blah.

Im implying that the XBX is a significant jump over PS4P because it is, so if he doesnt view it as its main competitor then so be it. If he views the less powerful, but cheaper console as a competitor to the PS4P, then ok.

He views XBX as a premium console for the most hardcore fans (he has said this much several times). The price reflects that. XBOS is cheaper, and came out around the same time as PS4P. May be viewed as more of a competitor.

shanew21

In pure GPU power yes, but the RAM is a pretty big difference too.

MegaMelon

It's becoming clear to me that Phil doesn't genuinely believe this stuff that he's saying and that it is in fact, PR work as usual.

What sounds more impressive? "The PS4 pro is our competitor in the 4k range" or "The PS4 pro is only a competitor in the lower range, we are on a different level when it comes to 4k"? Same with the timed exclusive comment. It makes Microsoft and Xbox look good, simple PR people.

Phil is definitely in it to win with all of these new comments. I like this new approach of directly competing with Sony rather than all the faux niceness. This is fucking business there's no need for that bs.

hiim_haz

Banned
I was really hoping at this point Microsoft would have given me reasons to understand what their competitive advantage is over Sony.

They completely failed to show me that after E3. I still don't even understand the purpose of the Xbox One X if they're selling it at $599 CAD, don't have compelling enough software that's exclusive to the platform and barely have any competitive advantage over Sony or Nintendo.

I have and like my Xbox One S, but whenever someone asks me about it makes it better than a PS4 I have very little to tell them besides backwards compatibility. That's a problem, and that's what I thought they'd address at E3 this year but they didn't.

Ason

The content shown and them not hitting native 4K on all their first party games shown. I was expecting them to fully show us extensive demos of 4K native first party games with all kinds of bells & whistles at 30fps(realistic lol) other than Forza. I did not get the quality or the confidence I was looking for. And the most impressive game(s) shown at their conference was running on beast 1080/Ti PC instead of the actual dev kit/console.

Ok, fair enough.

Even if the Forza 7 demo was running on a PC at the show floor, Im sure it will be running native 4K on the Xbox One X, that was what was announced atleast. And Im confident they make upcoming Gears of War, Halo, etc run at native 4K, but we have to wait and see. If they don't, it will be quite embarrassing, Im sure NeoGAF will remind them of that.

=)

Did you read the article by the ARK: Survival Evolved developer?, he seems to think there is quite a difference, will be interesting to hear what other devs say..

The same guy who said that their game can't be 60 fps because it's online? LOL

People got to stop referencing that idiot :)

Crayon

Phil is definitely in it to win with all of these new comments. I like this new approach of directly competing with Sony rather than all the faux niceness. This is fucking business there's no need for that bs.

Lol. No it's just hot air. If anything it looks like they've given up on competing.

hiim_haz

Banned
The games are going to look better than any other console.
That is literally it.

That's not nearly enough though. I wish they spent some of that money on R&D and invested it in first party content instead.

Having all three consoles, XBO is the least easiest to recommend to people over the other two. That's a problem.

Top Bottom