• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

Someone tweet this to Phil…

Nevermind, tweet this…

Microsoft's PR site says they will put the 4K label on games that meet the following criteria:
4kv1u1b.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

Deku Tree

TBH Phil sounds like he is on crack. PS4 Pro is a powerhouse that plays all the top notch Sony exclusives. And most likely just about all the Xbox X exclusives will look better on PC. So the majority of gaming enthusiasts who would be the target market for the Xbox X don't even need to buy one. The Xbox team are just as tone deaf as ever, this is on the same level as "if you want to sell your games buy a 360".

cakely

I guess this quote was just lip service:

Phil Spencer said:
I will always be respectful of my friends at the other platform holders; Nintendo, Sony. I have a lot of friends at Sony and Nintendo and both those companies are doing their best to deliver products based on their vision and I respect that. We’re doing the same. You won’t see me bad-mouth what the other platforms are doing but I am proud of the product decisions that we make and I think that we should be able to talk about it.

LordOfChaos

XBO X (...) / PS4 Pro = about 150% the GPU performance, a good advantage
PS4 Pro / XBO S = about 300% the GPU performance.

The Pro is closer to the S? Lol, ok, Phil.

I usually like how straight he talks but he did dip well into PR speak there.

Also this was Eurogamer, not the verge.

And that the Xbox X is not in competition with the pro is not and idiotic comment? That the Pro´s real competitor is the xbox s is not an idiotic comment?
It is an idotic comment I agree with you I'm just saying the interviewer started that conversation. Its not like Phil walked and was like "You see with the PS4 Pro....."

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think he's right about the latter point. The PS4 pro is only

(a) slightly faster than a GTX 970 which is very unsuited to 4k

(b) does not have much additional memory to work with which could be quite useful for textures in higher resolutions, less LOD pop in, etc.

(c) this could show up more in the later parts of the generation where games can look dramatically better on Xbox One X

The only reason I use the PS4 Pro for my 4k tv is good exclusive games, which is where the real competition is I guess

Would the Sony marketing deal be forcing parity?

No.

This conspiracy has been stated multiple times on GAF, and should really stop.

Regardless of the prowess of the GPU, both Pro and One X are using the same hobbled Jaguar CPUs, that are cranked up a bit, to get ~30% more perf over their respective base models.

30% more CPU power does not get you a 100% improvement in framerate (30 to 60)

Aren't the X and pro both 30 fps because of their weak ass CPUs though?

Bingo

I think he's right about the latter point. The PS4 pro is only

(a) slightly faster than a GTX 970 which is very unsuited to 4k

(b) does not have much additional memory to work with which could be quite useful for textures in higher resolutions

(c) this could show up more in the later parts of the generation where games can look dramatically better on Xbox One X

The only reason I use the PS4 Pro for my 4k tv is good exclusive games, which is where the real competition is I guess

You know what's worse than marketing speak? People buying into this bullshit :)

Ted

The X is closer to the PS4 Pro than the original Xbox One is to the PS4 percentagewise.

[IMAGE SNIPPED FOR BREVITY]

I'm confused, I'm not quite sure what a power comparison chart has to do with my post?

Here's the bit you didn't quote, for information:

At this point in the gen I've had my PS4 for a few years and I basically have three option:

1) Stick with what I have;
2) Upgrade to a Pro and play the same games with [mostly] better graphics;
3) Buy an S/X and get a whole new set of games or a whole new set of games and a potential upgrade.

Since option 2 isn't enough of a change to justify the cost for me, X isn't really competing with the Pro at all and is only really competing with the S or keeping the money.

No bother though kruis, I just don't want to be misinterpreted but equally know I'm a poor writer which means I can be! :)

Otnopolit

Fake news.

But I see their marketing strategy. Let's see if they can get that to stick.

This isn't fake news, just a poor marketing tactic.

Let's not abuse the phrase "fake news", that's a term reserved for articles or news stories that report made up events meant to influence politics or people.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well i want to give him the benefit of a doubt...but its just incorrect factually. the Pro is positioned as the competitor to XBX, and Sony has no platform to compete to Xbox One S in the 4K media push.

you know what's worse than marketing speak? unspecified whining with no arguments to back it up.
That is bad too. LOL

Phil is on crack. Even if X can run everything in native 4K (it won't) saying that Pro is competitor to a box that can't even run things in 1080p is insane!!!

WHO CARES
Phil just focus on your console and stop debating about PS4 Pro.

Such a childish behaviour.

In all fairness, he will likely get asked questions directly comparing the two on a fairly frequent basis during interviews, I would imagine. I couldn't care less about the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro, but the comparisons he will have to make are inevitable. The media will almost force him to do so.

Shai-Tan

Banned
That is bad too. LOL

Phil is on crack. Even if X can run everything in native 4K (it won't) saying that Pro is competitor to a box that can't even run things in 1080p is insane!!!

In the first line of my post I said I was addressing the "latter point", about it not being a true 4k System, which I guess was not clear enough. As a person with a GTX 1070 which I guess is more comparable to the Xbox One X I'm aware it can't run everything at 4k, at least without turning options down but it will be able to run quite a few games at 4k, and everything else probably at 1800p checkerboard unless the goal is 60fps, which makes even the GTX 1080 unsuitable

v3numb

Kind of a weird comment for him to make, aren't both systems going to be playing games designed around the specs of their less powerful base models? And in the case of multiplats, pretty much everything will be designed to run on the regular One. I know both systems are getting additional bells and whistles patched in, but I really didn't see any examples during their conference of the system being THAT much more powerful than the pro, pretty much just native 4k vs checkerboard.

Boke1879

See this is why Phil gets a lot of shit and why frankly people are skeptical about him.

He talks out of both sides of his mouth.

I love what he's doing with BC, System updates etc.

But when he talks about First party output, or not liking paying for exclusive content when Rise of the TR happened.

Or this. Something that can easily be fact checked. I mean it's no mistake he said this. People out there will believe it, but even when something on your own PR site contradicts this. Come on now.

Deft Beck

I don't see why Microsoft cares so much about 4K, and having a 'true 4K console'.

Sony want to sell televisions, they benefit from making 4K more mainstream. How does Microsoft benefit?

Microsoft benefits by having the most cutting-edge hardware out on the market, regardless of whether or not they have compelling software to accompany it. Theirs is a game of show and spectacle.

Who is the tallest midget?

I don't see why Microsoft cares so much about 4K, and having a 'true 4K console'.

Sony want to sell televisions, they benefit from making 4K more mainstream. How does Microsoft benefit?

To help Sony sell their TVs obviously. MS is actually Sony's best buddy.

Apt101

The marketing / messaging strategy will work on many people that aren't technical, looking to finally get a new console but are undecided. I feel sorry for those people, because the PS4 library is leagues ahead of the One's, but hey, at least they'll have some rocking-ass graphics.

Top Bottom