• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1X 4K standard includes checkerboard and dynamic

nynt9

From their own site:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

4kv1u1b.jpg

Despite their claims about "true 4K" and thus not competing with the pro, they're using the same techniques.

The Assassin's Creed Origins director confirms here that the game will be dynamic 4k on XB1X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtllzLCt1WY

Edit: there seems to be some confusion. Yes, this is old news for some but clearly new to others going by posts in this thread. Also, this thread is a reaction to Spencer's comments from recent interviews, as explained here:

I think the issue comes from Phil spinning the BS about how the Pro isn't in competition with the X as it's not got the power for True (Native) 4K when we all know full well it does and has done so on various games. Same situation applies over both machines, developers choose how they use the power available. There is no doubting the XBX is the more powerful of the two machines, but the crap Phil spouts about it not being true 4K surely then applies to his own machine if it's using other techniques to get there sometimes?

For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with checkerboarding or even dynamic 4K. I think they're fine techniques. I also think a "native 4k mandate for all games" would be a bad idea anyway.

Gowans

Thats part of the upgraded for X brand, not the games they have stated as native 4k

It's weird tho as the other 'Enhanced for X' make that and 'HDR' logos seem redundant.

True Fire

I mean, it's not really a surprise that different devs will implement X's power differently. Pro's implementation is all over the place.

EvB

At least they are getting that out in the open right now, so there can be less faux outrage when everyone conveniently forgets this was already said.
They said this was going to be the case for when games were 720p on Xbone (or maybe 900p)

Gowans

Many seems to be under the impression that all X games will be native 4K especially after Phil's comments.

Yeah, they haven't said that but I get what you're staying that logo on face value without the side text miss represents.

Expected as much, especially given how Digital Foundry recently proved you could use cards like the GTX 1060 - typically held up as a card for 1080p - and achieve 4k60, or achieve close to it, with dynamic resolution, temporal anti-aliasing, etc.

So I guess Microsoft will indeed be taking that advice to heart, albeit still for console purposes.

tuxfool

Banned
Of course.

If they were to impose a certain resolution as an absolute target, games on the X might end up looking worse than their equivalents on the PS4. As it stands you could definitely say that the rendering resolutions on xboxx will be higher than the ps4, but that is all you're able to say.

STANNY

Neo Member
Many seems to be under the impression that all X games will be native 4K especially after Phil's comments.

I don't think I've read anything from anyone that suggests all games on X1X will be 4k, or that even that anyone thinks that will be the case.

Outrun

Many didn't and think everything on XBONEX will be native 4k (& 60 fps)

I am sorry. I have not seen the masses on GAF that think that this is the case.

We have had 100 page long DF Scorpio tech reveal where the weaknesses of the X, along with its strengths were detailed...

However, If that console wars are raging in the background, then perhaps it is warranted :)

KOCMOHABT

developers would be super unhappy if they only had the option to go full 4k. Who wants that?

In every generation devs were happy to drop resolution for visual fidelity, and in every generation it has payed off in terms of player response.

Checkerboarding doesn't work great for super fast games, but in many cases the drop in quality in terms of clean resolution is outweight by the increase in other vfx.

And? They have never claimed that all games will be native 4K. Only that the system as a whole is more than capable of it if that is the path devs choose. But it's entirely on them to choose.

sibarraz

Banned
Sometimes I wonder if some people had an big hatred towards microsoft because they owned an xbox 360 that exploded after a RROD that destroyed their whole house with all their family

Apt101

Of course they're using the same techniques. Yes, the X is clearly a fair deal more powerful than the Pro, but it's still not powerful enough to run many games at the quality people have come to expect in native 4K.

Edit: and I'll add, there's nothing wrong at all with checkerboard rendering. It's a god send, actually. Able to achieve something that appears 4K to me with more affordable hardware. I wish Nvidia and/or AMD came up with their own tech for this on PC.

Luckydog

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sometimes I wonder if some people had an big hatred towards microsoft because they owned an xbox 360 that exploded after a RROD that destroyed their whole house with all their family

Windows 98 crashed on them, is probably closer to the truth.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
In contrasting to the Pro, Phil said in the Verge interview that they weren't using techniques like this. So...

and if the developer wants to use these techniques they can, as he said games can run at 4k native and so can the PRO do 4k native

Yeah...as others have stated, this has been known.

I don't think I need to say how it looks when some of you are so eager to jump on non issues like this with regards to this console.

KAOz

Short bus special
I am sorry. I have not seen the masses on GAF that think that this is the case.

We have had 100 page long DF Scorpio tech reveal where the weaknesses of the X, along with its strengths were detailed...

However, If that console wars are raging in the background, then perhaps it is warranted :)

Read the "Destiny 2 is 30fps"-thread?

Some of the stuff in there is scary. But also doesn't represent the bigger masses.
Still scary.

What a surprise. And many games will still be 30FPS. If you want 4k/60FPS without compromise, go PC. You can even play all recent and upcoming Xbox One games there ...

Top Bottom