• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1X 4K standard includes checkerboard and dynamic

Lucifon

I mean...what did OP expect? It's up to the devs to decide how they utilise the extra power. Microsoft can't put out some strict mandate to ensure all X support is native 4k or bust, that would be bad for everyone.

Dynamic 4k seems like a great way to achieve smooth gameplay and quality visuals. Works great at lower resolutions and I see no reason to suggest it wouldn't here. It's often hard to notice when a resolution drops in the heat of the moment, but keeping that framerate and frame pacing smooth is crucial.

I mean this is of course obvious. But when you've got multiple interviews where he claims the competition's mid-gen console isn't even in the conversation because it's using some of these exact same techniques... Y'know. It's a bit...

Luckydog

Might want to remind Phil Spencer

No need to, I watched the presentation. The target is native 4K and thats where there games are going. Forza 7, update patches to games like Horizon, Halo wars 2 and killer instinct support this. Halo 5 is a miss, but I expect they are counting on the dynamic res work on that title to at least lock at 1080.

You can be as salty as you want, but the message has been clear. Their target is native 4K, but devs can do what they want.

With all the shit to hit MS for in their presentation, this is the hill to die on?!?!!?

DOWN

Banned
Huh. So AC is going to be checkerboarding on Pro and X...

And Phil was trying to claim the competition was weakened by many of its games using this same technique

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Of course.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

That's why Phils comment was kind of ridiculous to me, especially when he usually seems so cool about console war stuff.

Buying one day one. And I've already bought a D1E XBO and an XBO S. But common MS. Don't try to win by saying "true 4K" like you're the only one who can/can't do it.

R aka Bon

They really did push the whole "True 4K" thing but informed people know better.

I am sorry did they anywhere in the conference say that all games on Xbox one X would run in true 4k?

The console is built with true 4k gaming in mind, that doesn't mean that games can't go lower than that...

jayu26

He is selling the X to the masses within the time allotted.

Do you want him to go into a meandered speech about how certain games will tax the X to the point that native 4K will need to be abandoned?

I am baffled how you cannot see how silly that is for him to downplay a product that he is attempting to sell....

No where in the marketing does MS say that all games will be native 4K.
Sony did that. They got up on stage and made the difference between native and checkerboard clear from get go.

g11

The 4K dick measuring competition is easily the most pathetic and pointless dick measuring competition in recent gaming history. In a year where a game that runs at 900p30fps at best is going to sweep GOTY awards, who fucking cares if a game is checkerboard 4K or native 4K? I don't have elf eyes, so I seriously doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. I sure as shit can tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps though...

Skilletor

The problem is that the information is incomplete. The OP only showed a similarity, rather than the differences also.

Perhaps we should pull up the tech specs for the Pro and X and just leave it as it is...

I give zero fucks about tech specs and whatever. This isn't some fanboy shit. MS has been going on and on about TRUE 4K gaming, so it is surprising to see that it's a possibility to see games could potentially use the same techniques as a console that "isn't a competitor."

Outrun

Sony did that. They got up on stage and made the difference between native and checkerboard clear from get go.

Not at E3 they didn't.

They did that at their own Pro reveal.

I think the closest analogue we have is the DF X tech reveal. I do believe that they spoke about it, and more.

Darkangel

I hope most games opt for dynamic over checkerboarding. That way they can run in 4K all of the time on Xbox X2 or whatever.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This just in, 3rd party games will be identical on the X and Pro, 1st party games will leverage more of the consoles power.

Will they also have a "native 4K" sticker when the game is native 4K?

"You realize you will see every game in 1080p- I mean 4k as your output right?"

ciwqsbg14oivl2g2s.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
But MS's True 4K is truer than truth, and deserves to be stamped on everything even if it's using the same technology as the competition
True true. They invented ground breaking truer 4K UHD patented technology for the upcoming X games.

Instro

I always wondered why there were so many dead set on thinking everything would be native 4k. The X is a powerful device, but native 4k at acceptable fps is a difficult task unless you have the highest end GPUs on the PC market.

ElfArmy177

Hahahaha you guys are so funny. Seriously E3 reminds me of Republicans and Democrats battling it out with absolute nonsense.

Ms: true 4k

Uninformed gamer: wait a minute you said true 4k, it says checkerboard as well

Ms: yeah... Checkerboard and true 4k.. it supports both.

Uninformed gamer: ha! We knew it, it's just like sonys fake ass 4k

Ms: uh, they can do 4k still.. true 4k if the game supports it..

Uninformed gamer: screw you Ms, I'll stick to my pc where it doesn't lie to me and has things like downsampling and rendering teqniques that aren't false, like rainbow six using uh.. what's that called? Checkerboard rendering! You filthy liars.

Ms: ok

Man my pc with a 1080 can barely do 4k without turning down SOME things lol

Fliesen

You're gonna have to bold the part where he said those techniques are banned from use by developers on Xbox One X. Not seeing it.

no, but he said "the PS4 Pro is different than the Xbox One X, as the former is not a 'true 4k console' "

But - apart from raw power, which is obvious - where's the difference?
There's games running native 4k on Pro, there's games running on native 4k on the X. There's checkerboarded games on the Pro, there's games that checkerboard on the X.
Certainly there's gonna be situations where the X will render a game at native 4k while the Pro will have to resort to checkerboarding.

But by definition, neither system is any more or less 'true' than the other. One's more powerful, sure. But neither is 'true' 4k.

flkraven

All I have ever read about Scorpio is that there is no mandate and that developers can do literally whatever they want with the power. The system is capable of running the latest stuff at 4K 30 or 60, but if devs want to tweak that to add somewhere else they can. But now this is news and we need rebuttal threads?

no, but he said "the PS4 is different than the Xbox One X, as the former is not a 'true 4k console' "

But - apart from raw power, which is obvious - where's the difference?
There's games running native 4k on Pro, there's games running on native 4k on the X. There's checkerboarded games on the Pro, there's games that checkerboard on the X.

Certainly there's gonna be situations where the X will render a game at native 4k while the Pro will have to resort to checkerboarding.
But by definition, neither system is any more or less 'true' than the other. One's more powerful, sure.

Maybe he defines a 4K bluray drive as true 4K? No idea.

Doubt it.

It's kinda like with UHD Bluray. Half the shit is upscaled, but it still has that logo.

Well, then it's hard to tell the difference between a Pro and a XX for most consumers.
Unless sellers will sell bullshit. as most of them do. Without even knowing, most of the time.

Lots of people getting really god damn defensive here

Microsoft says the difference between this and the pro is TRUE 4k gaming

They say they're the first only console to enable true 4k gaming

"Well actually we're doing checkerboarding and dynamic scaling" is not contradicting the statement that devs can use the power however they want, but it's doing the exact same shit as the ps4 pro, and making the first 2 statements plus other shit spencer has said not true.

DjRalford

True true. They invented ground breaking truer 4K UHD patented technology for the upcoming X games.

True console launch exclusive, True 4k, its all marketing bollocks which at the end of the day is not going to shift momentum away from Sony.

says right there that it enables it, not that every dev will choose to take advantage of the power that way

True 4k was made possible in the console space almost a year ago by the pro,there are a number of games that run full on 4k 60fps too.

Luckydog

I think the issue comes from Phil spinning the BS about how the Pro isn't in competition with the X as it's not got the power for True (Native) 4K when we all know full well it does and has done so on various games. Same situation applies over both machines, developers choose how they use the power available. There is no doubting the XBX is the more powerful of the two machines, but the crap Phil spouts about it not being true 4K surely then applies to his own machine if it's using other techniques to get there sometimes?

This was a BS statement. Not sure why he would even consider saying something like that.

But based on what I have seen from E3 so far, it seems NATIVE 4K across more games seems more achievable on the One X than on the pro. And the Forza 7 demo as well as patches for most first party newer games backs that up. Other devs can do what that want. I think the bigger issue here is third parties, which MS seems to be hanging their hat on, will WANT to do things like dynamic res as it will be easier to target the One X, Pro, PS4 and Xbox One.

Outrun

I give zero fucks about tech specs and whatever. This isn't some fanboy shit. MS has been going on and on about TRUE 4K gaming, so it is surprising to see that it's a possibility to see games could potentially use the same techniques as a console that "isn't a competitor."

I think that some people are offended because Spencer stated that the Pro was not the competitor of the X.

Man, Sony could come back and say the entire Xbox division is not the competitor to the PS.

Who cares?!

I'm out :) Enjoy

Zojirushi

Man, I think as a dev I would hate all of this.

So now you have base consoles which you can't neglect and thus have to take as a baseline or a lot of people will be angry.

Then you have two upgraded consoles which are pretty different in terms of hardware power so you're probably looking at different version for those or otherwise people will freak out because fuck parity right? Also you gotta give additional "prioritize framerate or graphics" options for these systems.

Then you have PC on top of that which demands an "all options included" version because otherwise it's a "bad port"

Jesus what a mess this has become.

spannicus

This just in, 3rd party games will be identical on the X and Pro, 1st party games will leverage more of the consoles power.
I see no reason for x and pros 3rd party games to be identical. Were not identical on base consoles. Lot more ram for what? if thats the case

Dunlop

Dude, we knew this before....

I am not quite sure what the agenda is here.
Sony pulled a douchebag move with Minecraft followed by a mediocre E3 showing.

There's all lot of fustration that needs to be released as this thread and the multiple Phil Spencer threads are showing us.

The true 4K statements have always been based on the idea that they specifically built the hardware with enough headroom to play all current 1080p XB1 games in native 4K. That was the goal. In fact they went further than this and also ensured that there was room left in the tank for graphical improvements on top. Or, as they have also said, it could be possible to run 900p XB1 games in native 4K too. Also like the 1S, it has the UHD drive to fully support 4K multimedia. That's it.

Obviously devs can use the power as they see fit. Which will mean some games choose to push graphics further and so need to go with dynamic resolution or checkerboard. But even then, it's much more likely for there to be a native 4K title on Scorpio than the PS Pro. Obviously because the hardware is significantly better.

reKon

Banned
School is out. Gotta pass the time somehow.

I legitimately didn't know. And others in this thread didn't as well so sorry? I knew it obviously wasn't going to do 4K 60 FPS for most games, but I though that with that extra GPU power over the PS4 Pro, that native 4K would be much easier to achieve. And I guess it probably is if the developer decides to hit that mark, but then it goes to say, what if they decide to the same thing with the PS4 Pro, and just make other graphical sacrifices to achieve that?

Anyways, I guess this is just another mid-gen upgrade, except for a lot more money than a PS4 Pro then?

Whether people realize it or not, unless they bundle with the Xbox One X, There will be at least a $150 price difference between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Check slickdeals.net frontpage prices last holidays/BF. PS4 Pro was regularly hitting $350ish already. I think we'll see the same thing, but with a bundle this time - maybe Horizon.

That doesn't make Xbox One X pricing bad though. It still good price for everything you're getting.

Vasili2K38

I'm sure someone counted how many times Phil and company said "True 4K" in the conference. The funny thing is we have a precedent in the market (PS4 Pro), that shows that unless you have mandatory support of Pro/X, the implementation of said support will be all over the place.

nynt9

I see no reason for x and pros 3rd party games to be identical. Were not identical on base consoles. Lot more ram for what? if thats the case

X1X will likely have improved effects and in dynamic situations probably keep a more stable 4K or a more stable FPS.

Will most people's eyes even be able to tell the difference?

DF said in many cases checkerboarding is indistinguishable from native 4K.

Lots of people getting really god damn defensive here

Microsoft says the difference between this and the pro is TRUE 4k gaming

They say they're the first only console to enable true 4k gaming

"Well actually we're doing checkerboarding and dynamic scaling" is not contradicting the statement that devs can use the power however they want, but it's doing the exact same shit as the ps4 pro, and making the first 2 statements plus other shit spencer has said not true.

I mean, it's very much not the first console to enable "true 4k gaming", so no matter how you look at it this entire thing is very silly.

Top Bottom