• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
1169858326.jpg

1169858324.jpg

1169858325.jpg

It looks better, and looks next gen but with the top titles for 360.

IMO, as long as it plays well and unique, I will pick it up. consoles/pc wars YA

now someone do a 360-PS3 online game...

border

This game needs glowing reviews, because it sure does look stupid...

Joe Molotov said:
One level takes place in a crate factory.
I heard they have another level that takes place in an oil barrel repository!

bluemax

Banned
Looks nicer. The art style and setting don't invoke Shadowrun in my mind (ie if you didn't tell me that's what this is I wouldn't guess it) but it looks pretty respectable.

Hope it's a fun next gen replacement for Jedi Academy's online.

Drek

Soooo.....

Gameplay nothing like Shadowrun, art design nothing like Shadowrun. Great, excellent use of a killer license here.

I want to fly up to Redmond or where ever the hell they're making this and shit in each and every one of the developers corn flakes.

clashfan

The game looks fun but the art direction is just so plain. Couldn't they do something interesting with the art direction like the upcomming Team Fortress?

border

m0dus said:
Yeah . . . despite the fact that nearly every single hands-on impression of actual gameplay has been overwhelmingly positive?
Gameplay is largely irrelevant to the purists, many of whom wouldn't be interested even if it were the best team-FPS ever made. These are RPG fans.....they don't give a shit about it, since the game's very concept is inherently flawed to them.

If the game is successful, it only assure more non-RPG Shadowrun titles -- if it flops, it kills the IP, also assuring no more RPG Shadowrun. It's a lose-lose situaiton.

GhaleonEB

border said:
Gameplay is largely irrelevant to the purists, many of whom wouldn't be interested even if it were the best team-FPS ever made. These are RPG fans.....they don't give a shit about it, since the game's very concept is inherently flawed to them.

If the game is successful, it only assure more non-RPG Shadowrun titles -- if it flops, it kills the IP, also assuring no more RPG Shadowrun. It's a lose-lose situaiton.
Actually, FASA has said that they are interested in making an RPG in the Shadowrun universe.

border

GhaleonEB said:
Actually, FASA has said that they are interested in making an RPG in the Shadowrun universe.
This is largely taken as lip service since FASA doesn't traditionally make RPGs .....if Shadowrun were a Halo-level success I could see an RPG being possible, but it's a crippled multiplayer-only FPS and as such will have limited appeal.

Gameplay nothing like Shadowrun, art design nothing like Shadowrun. Great, excellent use of a killer license here.

I've been waiting for a new Shadowrun game undoubtedly longer than anyone here, but the unending stream of SR fans popping out of the gutters to slam this game isn't doing much to prove that you are a fanbase worth existing. It's almost like, "No wonder Shadowrun P&P failed and died, you are all a bunch of arrogant and uptight asses". If that's really the case I welcome the future of Shadowrun w/ the myopic losers weeded out and more console gamers flushed in.

Let me put it in other words - I love science fiction. I have read what, over 100, 200 books. I don't read one book and then another and complain "BS! This book doesn't use time-space continuums in the same was as the last book I read! I can no longer live a happy life!!!". If you are a fan of the essence of Shadowrun, you should be praying that this game will open the door to other Shadowrun games, and leave it at that. Sometimes you have to work with the cards you are dealt, I will leave that as a piece of advice for your entire life.

purg3

slept with Malkin
m0dus said:
Yeah . . . despite the fact that nearly every single hands-on impression of actual gameplay has been overwhelmingly positive? I'd say you need to quit your bitching, and plug up your ass until the game launches.

You're right, to bad most do not care, and will continue to bash the game based purely on screenshots. From the time I spent with the game and talking to one of FASA guys at CES, I was impressed with the gameplay. There are so many possibilities that can occur while playing the game due to the many different powers, it opens the game up more than most other shooters out there. Now if I could only get in the damn beta...

border

CountZeroInt said:
If you are a fan of the essence of Shadowrun,
How does this game even have the essence of Shadowrun?

And comparing it to the usage of the "time-space continuum" in one novel versus another novel is hardly fair, since both novels would still essentially be sci-fi. It's more like turning Snow Crash into a Tom Clancy book. It's ultimately a game that is a perversion of the IP, and it's a game that is gambling the future of the IP to boot. I think it'd be one thing if this were an adventure-FPS in the style of Metroid Prime or System Shock....but instead it's something totally out-of-whack. People have said it's no different than making a Halo RTS, but that's stupid since Halo will probably march on no matter what.....Halo was never on the chopping block, but Shadowrun is.

Yeah, you can take the positive outlook and just pray that it will somehow lead to a more proper game......but given that this is an internet forum, people will take the more cynical and (IMO) more realistic outlook.

GhaleonEB

border said:
How does this game even have the essence of Shadowrun?

And comparing it to the usage of the "time-space continuum" in one novel versus another novel is hardly fair, since both novels would still essentially be sci-fi. It's more like turning Snow Crash into a Tom Clancy book. It's ultimately a game that is a perversion of the IP, and it's a game that is gambling the future of the IP to boot. I think it'd be one thing if this were an adventure-FPS in the style of Metroid Prime or System Shock....but instead it's something totally out-of-whack. People have said it's no different than making a Halo RTS, but that's stupid since Halo will probably march on no matter what.....Halo was never on the chopping block, but Shadowrun is.

Yeah, you can take the positive outlook and just pray that it will somehow lead to a more proper game......but given that this is an internet forum, people will take the more cynical and (IMO) more realistic outlook.
At least the Halo threads are not the most predictable ones on GAF now.

Maybe when the trolls, dwarves and the other two environments are shown (temple and slums) the game will have a different vibe. This is from the corporate district, so there's a warehouse map, a big indoors office map, etc.

Gallagher said:
Worst game ever. :/
:lol

Wow.

That looks like shit.

That looks like shit.

Anyone defending that- a second gen first party 360 title- a game coming out half a year after Gears of War- needs to sit down and shut up.

It may play fun. But that is ****ing sub-Perfect Dark Zero shit.

ToxicAdam

Look at the bright side, if FASA decides to make an RPG next, they will have all these shitty unimaginative art assets to use.

07070503174415276500.jpg

CS:S, which is over two years old now for comparison sake.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The lack of jaggies makes shots look really nice.

To compare Counter Strike source to Shadowrun, you have to remember Shadowrun is lightyears more advanced gameplay wise. All 16 players can summon new object into existence onto the map. So that is a lot of extra textures and geometry going on. And one of the things you can summon is a minion which will eat up a lot of processing power, since it will need geometry, textures, and advanced a.i. to exist in the game world.

I don't think FASA is going for a game that will blow you away visually. I think they are trying to create a game that will look alright, but will run fantastically, and to me that seems like the right idea. I would much rather have Shadowrun running at 60FPS with those graphics, and all the features promised.

The only problem is that with those graphics it is going to be a hard to sell to Average Joe. What this game needs is a demo before releasee.

I predict we will have a Shadowrun demo prior to release.

Brimstone said:
To compare Counter Strike source to Shadowrun, you have to remember Shadowrun is lightyears more advanced gameplay wise. All 16 players can summon new object into existence onto the map. So that is a lot of extra textures and geometry going on. And one of the things you can summon is a minion which will eat up a lot of processing power, since it will need geometry, textures, and advanced a.i. to exist in the game world.

I'm surprised they even put textures on the enviroments with all that AWESOME stuff going on!!

Haunted

border

Those quotes really aren't contradictory. The game has always looked like shit.....they've just improved from "runny diarrhea" to "fully-formed turd". Yes there are big improvements, but it still looks pretty nasty.

I don't think FASA is going for a game that will blow you away visually.

master_of_the_obvious.jpg

Top Bottom