• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun screens

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
What matters most is gameplay. I don't care how spectacular a game looks, if the gameplay is shallow, the game gets boring real fast.

OatmealMu

Brimstone said:
The lack of jaggies makes shots look really nice.

To compare Counter Strike source to Shadowrun, you have to remember Shadowrun is lightyears more advanced gameplay wise. All 16 players can summon new object into existence onto the map. So that is a lot of extra textures and geometry going on. And one of the things you can summon is a minion which will eat up a lot of processing power, since it will need geometry, textures, and advanced a.i. to exist in the game world.

bloodsport1.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
Shadowrun is the Ngage of Microsoft Game Studios. Public hates it so much that it doesn't really matter if it actually turns out fun.

GhaleonEB

I agree the graphics are looking pretty sterile in those shots. One thing to bear in mind though is there's a lot more going on in Shadowrun than most shooters. You've got players summoning creatures to fight with them (or sic them on someone) as well as summoning objects like crystal beds and trees, teleportation portal opening up everywhere. There's a lot more going on that just a few guys running around. When I played it there were effects going on all over the place, with objects getting thick enough to change the layout of the maps at points. I'm surprised FASA hasn't shown that suff off more in shots as it is the magical elements that really seperate this game from the pack. Also, the dwarves and trolls, which I'm also surprised haven't been shown yet.

The graphics have been moving along a pretty linear progression since E3, where it looked like crap. Every batch of shots, which come out every six weeks or so lately, look better and bettter than the others. The game is not due out for a while, so I suspect it will continue to improve as it goes. (I hope it does, anyways.)

Gowans

Im really looking forward to Shadowrun, becasue its trying to do something different in teh FPS genre market and I'm really well overdue in waiting for some inovation.

Give these guys a break and wait till you've played it before passing judgement

/remebers he's on gaf ;/

GhaleonEB

Brimstone said:
Resistance:Fall of Man
928399_20061114_screen003.jpg

Shadowrun
X06Shots_5.jpg

OH SHIT BAIL OUT TIME

(The Shadowrun screens in this thread look good - I don't understand the bitching. A bit sterile/empty, but what's there is nice.)

border

BlueTsunami said:
Well Brimstone dropped a house down on this thread
By hunting down the most bland-looking screenshot of Resistance ever? People know the actual game came out looking way better than that.
Problem with Shadowrun is that basically every screen they have looks ass-y, whereas there's plenty of shots to show off Resistance's muscle.
Trying to pick a PS3 vs 360 fight with FASA's game in your corner is like bringing a retard to a game of Trivial Pursuit.
Which is funny since Shadowrun should have an advantage....seeing as how there's no AI and the game is just a bunch of enclosed arenas.

928399_111206_screen058.jpg

928399_20061019_screen001.jpg

XSamu

Banned
border said:
Trying to pick a PS3 vs 360 fight with FASA's game in your corner is like bringing a retard to a game of Trivial Pursuit.
I hope you know he wasn't rly serious... I think he just meant that people should stop judging by screens only.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm awaiting XSamu's response :lol

and yeah, that comparison between this game and Resistance was pretty blatant in its one sidedness

BuddyC

XSamu said:
You really thought I was serious? Come on, you should know better.
Like how we should automatically know that Brimstone wasn't really serious? With thousands upon thousands of members here, many of whom seem intent on stirring shit up, don't automatically assume that your moderators and administrators are going to catch onto the particular brand of humor you feel is so obvious, especially if there's nothing in the post to indicate otherwise.

In other words, start considering how things look to an impartial outsider, and if you aren't happy with that, modify your content until you are.

XSamu said:
You really thought I was serious? Come on, you should know better.
Nice back up :lol .

After playing CS 1.6, I think Shadowrun looks great both graphics and gameplay wise (for an online shooter), but it doesn't deserve it's name.

XSamu

Banned
BuddyC said:
Like how we should automatically know that Brimstone wasn't really serious? With thousands upon thousands of members here, many of whom seem intent on stirring shit up, don't automatically assume that your moderators and administrators are going to catch onto the particular brand of humor you feel is so obvious. Especially if it's the kind of stuff that's going to get the thread locked.
Why? His act was because of all the negative stupid comments on judging a game's gfx by a couple of screenshots. I think it was a good post.
BuddyC said:
In other words, start considering how things look to an impartial outsider, and if you aren't happy with that, modify your content until you are.
If you would've read the whole thread, you would've get the message, I'm sure of that.

And if Brimstone was really serious about his post, then he fooled everyone and is just plain stupid. Which I hope/think, is not the case.

BuddyC

XSamu said:
If you would've read the whole thread, you would've get the message, I'm sure of that.
All I see is a guy who says he doesn't care how a game looks as long as it's fun before he needlessly compares Resistance to Shadowrun using one of the worst shots of Resistance in the whole of GameSpot's coverage.

And besides, that's not even the issue at hand. How exactly were we supposed to know that your post was a farce? Where's the prior basis for that? I can't seem to find it in this thread.

XSamu

Banned
BuddyC said:
All I see is a guy who says he doesn't care how a game looks as long as it's fun before he needlessly compares Resistance to Shadowrun using one of the worst shots of Resistance in the whole of GameSpot's coverage.
I think he showed very well that you can't judge a game by a screenshot. I mean, we all know Resistance looks better, it's no secret.
BuddyC said:
And besides, that's not even the issue at hand. How exactly were we supposed to know that your post was a farce?
Half of the posts on GAF are filled with sarcasm.

I thought brimstone was just making a point that screenshots don't reflect actual in game graphics.

Everyone knows Resistence doesn't look that bad.

BuddyC

XSamu said:
Half of the posts on GAF are filled with sarcasm.
Yea, but at least some folks try and make it clear they're being sarcastic. Again, with thousands upon thousands of members here, many of whom seem intent on stirring shit up, don't automatically assume that your moderators and administrators are going to catch onto the particular brand of humor you feel is so obvious, especially if there's nothing in the post or thread to indicate otherwise.

Another good chunk of the posts on GAF involve similar subjects and comparisons, except they're actually serious. How are we supposed to tell them apart? If it's not obviously a joke or if there's an underlying point that's not explained, what's to stop those other members and potential members who don't get it from presenting their serious opinions and thoughts in a similar poorly explained manner that feigns instigation?

XSamu

Banned
BuddyC said:
Yea, but at least some folks try and make it clear they're being sarcastic. Again, with thousands upon thousands of members here, many of whom seem intent on stirring shit up, don't automatically assume that your moderators and administrators are going to catch onto the particular brand of humor you feel is so obvious, especially if there's nothing in the post or thread to indicate otherwise.
Yeah ok, that might be true, that's why I showed it was sarcasm (kinda) with the post after that.
XSamu said:
I hope you know he wasn't rly serious... I think he just meant that people should stop judging by screens only.
Next time I'll put it in spoiler tags with it for ya.

Top Bottom