• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked profanity-laden emails and Hollywood accounting from The Walking Dead lawsuit

Does Frank Darabont play Overwatch? seems like an Overwatch player.

also. AMC damn well know they hiding their money in accounting. Get Ben Affleck on the case

gdt

I love the ridiculousness of Hollywood accounting. Claiming they made no money on the show until 2015? Come the fuck on bro.

Daaaamn at the AMC president's rise in pay while they're saying the show made no profit lol.

Goddamn I hope Darabont gets paid.

Bluth54

Does anyone know if the license fee per episode lets AMC resell the show (say on netflix, DVD or on a service like iTunes) or does the company producing the show keep the rights to do that?

Cvie

not an american but want to know how come the IRS has never gone in on hollywood accounting? wouldn't the personal tax on the earnings of individuals being stiffed be at a higher rate than the studios company tax on profits?

not an american but want to know how come the IRS has never gone in on hollywood accounting? wouldn't the personal tax on the earnings of individuals being stiffed be at a higher rate than the studios company tax on profits?

This example looks particularly egregious, but large corporations do this kind of crap all the time. Numbers get shuffled around to get closest to what the executives want to hear, as long as it's within the confines of the law. Hollywood has a larger profile so that's why we know about it, but really all companies do it.

A major part of an accountant's job is to know how to legally manipulate the numbers to make the people in charge happy.

Monocle

Can't blame Darabont at all. AMC fucked him hard. It's pretty messed up to sabotage a show and then fire its brainchild, the guy who has more right than anyone to want to keep the project on track. And then AMC had the balls to wag their finger at his tone.

I remember reading that the cast thought well of him and were surprised he was booted. Sounds like a clear cut case of profit and ego driven corporate fuckery to me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait whats this lawsuit?

Daramont was fired from his own show? When did this happen? Whole story pls.

Zombine

Banned
Where AMC is at now in terms of budget for this show:

rick.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Beyond the pilot, Darabont wasn't doing the show any favors.

Suck it fat cats. I think it's bullshit that shit like this drags on.

Also please include quotes and other contextual info on the OP.

I hate threads that are just a link and a hot take

Sheroking

It's well known that Matthew Weiner bent AMC over the table and they've been aggressively cheap and tough on showrunners since.

Darabont seems like the type of dude who treats a slight like an insult on his families honor and dies on every hill he is presented, though.

numble

This example looks particularly egregious, but large corporations do this kind of crap all the time. Numbers get shuffled around to get closest to what the executives want to hear, as long as it's within the confines of the law. Hollywood has a larger profile so that's why we know about it, but really all companies do it.

A major part of an accountant's job is to know how to legally manipulate the numbers to make the people in charge happy.
This type of accounting is only used for the purposes of residuals and royalties to third parties. The studios pay themselves certain fees and overhead, which will be considered profit for tax purposes, even if not for the purposes of determining residuals and royalties. The studios are mostly publicly listed companies that are incentivized to report maximum profits for their shareholders.

Wait whats this lawsuit?

Daramont was fired from his own show? When did this happen? Whole story pls.
As I recall, AMC pilots at the time were very well received and their existing shows like Mad Men were getting more expensive. So they ended up with more successful shows than they expected and could not afford to support them all. They had save money somewhere, and Walking Dead ended up getting the shortest straw and received a massive budget cut. Ended up with the infamous Farm season of TWD, and Darabont leaving in disgust over ACM treatment of the show.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Where AMC is at now in terms of budget for this show:

rick.gif

I give shit to TWD for sport, but there are some instances where the CG is on point.

JkZo6me.gif

Practical effects are usually very nice, too. It's the CGI that ranges from cool to outright abrasive to my eyes.

Re: Darabont. I really disliked his take on the show and I actually believe it improved after he left. That said, I also hope he gets paid. AMC looks pretty bad here.

UltraJay

What is happening here? I see a cgi deer, I see Rick falling, I don't understand how the two are related. Are they even related? What?

I haven't seen this live, but from the gif, the deer appears to walk right over debris as if, you know, it doesn't exist in the scene.

Anung

Un Rama
Daaaamn at the AMC president's rise in pay while they're saying the show made no profit lol.

Season 2-3 of The Walking Dead always felt like a Ponzi scheme to me. The show was such a huge success but they spent damn near two seasons walking around the same patch of woods or at the farmhouse. Felt like the budget was going everywhere but the show itself.

I haven't seen this live, but from the gif, the deer appears to walk right over debris as if, you know, it doesn't exist in the scene.
You can clearly see a little hop where it hops over the debris.
this show sucks and I couldn't get past the first season even though I adored the comics

I remember watching the first episode and being blown away. And then by the end of a six episode season 1 the show had turned to shit lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Has Darabont ever said how the show would have gone if he was still in involved?

Yeah quite a bit. He was going to make a much larger and grandiose show with entire episodes devoted to side stories like the one random guy in the tank at the end of the episode 1 that would show the fall of Atlanta.

what is it with writers? why do you think just because you wrote a story about zombies you are some brilliant person who deserves respect? why does this give you the right to talk to co-workers as if they are mongoloids?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yeah I've had contracts in Hollywood; seemingly obvious to have turned a profit, only to receive nothing. When I talked to lawyers, I was told I needed to hire an auditor for $500k. Hollywood has business conduct like no other.

strafer

Yeah quite a bit. He was going to make a much larger and grandiose show with entire episodes devoted to side stories like the one random guy in the tank at the end of the episode 1 that would show the fall of Atlanta.

Man, that would have been cool to see.

mjc

Sounds very much like what World War Z should have been, would have been cool.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Small clarification; Josh Sapan is the President/CEO of AMC Networks, not just AMC the channel which has its own President and GM that oversees operations and everything. AMC Networks is 5 different cable channels and a whole bunch of other holdings and international operations. Connecting his pay increase, which admittedly is pretty huge, to one show on one channel he operates is kind of stupid and pretty disingenuous on Darabont's part. AMC Networks over that same period went through rapid growth and development. They broke off from Cablevision and became independent and publicly traded, made several major acquisitions and grew a bunch along with the success of TWD. So there's a lot more going on there.

Darabont is probably more in the right than he is in the wrong when it comes to compensation, but man he doesn't make for a very compelling victim given his conduct. Not surprising relations weren't good and AMC booted him first chance they could. But in the end they need to be held to the contracts and compensation agreements they signed off on. Just wish it was for someone who doesn't appear to be a total asshole.

GavinUK86

In one email, Darabont asked why camera operators were being paid when ”Ray Charles could operate better."

giphy.gif

Darabont was on fire with those emails though.

What is happening here? I see a cgi deer, I see Rick falling, I don't understand how the two are related. Are they even related? What?

Rick was going to shoot the deer for food, but it got startled by zombies, causing Rick to jump and break the wood he was leaning on, slipping off the roof and landing next to more zombies that were trapped underneath him.

It makes sense as you were watching the episode. Here, in a gif, not so much.

There's no doubt TWD is fantastic in a lot of scenes but then you get a few stinkers like this one where on a rewatch looks super dumb.

I cant understand how AMC handled the show, and how they booted him off. It really is a terrible show, but Season 1 was promising. Cutting the budget is totally understandable, but that's not even the half of it.

I remember watching the first episode and being blown away. And then by the end of a six episode season 1 the show had turned to shit lol.

It was really incredible and might have been the best pilot I had ever seen.

I was shocked by the drop in quality between that and the second episode.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Show needed a strong vision versus NEW HOME > TRIBAL FIGHT > GUESS WHO DIES THIS SEASON > NEW HOME loop

Kadayi

Banned
I think Darabont got royally screwed. He clearly didn't get the support he actually needed during the production and then got scapegoated as a result. Personally, I thought his take on the comic book series was pretty fresh, and a lot more grounded than Kirkman's and it was a shame to see them appoint him as showrunner.

Does Frank Darabont play Overwatch? seems like an Overwatch player.

No kidding.

After receiving what he felt was a woefully subpar script from a pair of writers, Darabont tells the exec, "If it were up to me, I'd have not only fired [them], I'd have hunted down and fucking killed them with a brick, then gone and burned down their homes."

It definitely sounds like AMC owes him money, but I also completely understand why you would want to fire somebody like that.

Linkura

Darabont definitely wasn't as diplomatic as he could have been, but he did have a point. Fucking slashing the budget and making him do all this stupid shit and refusing to pay royalties.... I hope he gets paid.

Top Bottom