• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked profanity-laden emails and Hollywood accounting from The Walking Dead lawsuit

Zee-Row

Banned
With the Walking Dead now the only thing you should watch is the season premiere , Mid season finale and season finale. Because absolutely nothing happens in between.

Where AMC is at now in terms of budget for this show:

rick.gif

What is happening to Rick in this gif lmao.

Brakke

Banned
not an american but want to know how come the IRS has never gone in on hollywood accounting? wouldn't the personal tax on the earnings of individuals being stiffed be at a higher rate than the studios company tax on profits?

"never"

I still like the Walking Dead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The length of time on the farm was rough as hell though and the show has definitely had it's low points.

More on topic, I read a couple excerpts and it seems like Darabont would have been a nightmare to work with if you were on his crew. Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if AMC is screwing him over money wise.

Altazor

holy shit those Darabont emails are hilariously over the top

"Denise, I’m putting my anger and disappointment at Gwyneth aside when I say this. I promise I’m not being a hyperbolic wiseass.

Remember our experience with Allan Garfield on The Majestic? We were all so shocked because it was like he had no grasp of the basics of his craft? And it turned out later that he’d had a stroke he was unaware of? And a few months after we wrapped, the massive secondary stroke happened that put him permanently in the hospital?

I am honest-to-God wondering if Gwyneth hasn’t experienced the same thing. That’s how fundamentally fucked this footage is. It’s as if she’s totally lost her grasp of what to do. It’s like we yanked some kid with no experience out of high school and put her in charge of directing a show. And what’s really weird is that she doesn’t seem to know it."

jtb

Banned
Sounds like both parties are being shitty here. AMC seems pretty notorious for lowballing its creatives. And Darabont comes across as a horrible showrunner. Can't they both just lose?

Also Darabont sounds like someone who's very used to being a director (and probably being ballwashed as the big man on set). TV clearly wasn't the right medium for him if he didn't understand how to delegate responsibilities or lead colleagues. If he wanted to do everything himself, then he should have done everything himself.

Sounds like both parties are being shitty here. AMC seems pretty notorious for lowballing its creatives. And Darabont comes across as a horrible showrunner. Can't they both just lose?

No, because acting like an asshole at his job isn't even in the same ballpark as hiding profits to stiff people of their contractually entitled pay.

jtb

Banned
No, because acting like an asshole at his job isn't even in the same ballpark as hiding profits to stiff people of their contractually entitled pay.

What if being guilty of workplace harassment is sufficient to void his contract, as it would be at most places of employment?

What if being guilty of workplace harassment is sufficient to void his contract, as it would be at most places of employment?

No, contracts that involve profit participation are not going to have language allowing them to be voided by someone's workplace conduct. If there was any validity to what you're saying, it would be reflected in the litigation and the article. The only thing that comes close is Darabont saying that in addition to being robbed by bullshit profit shuffling, he was denied negotiations he was entitled to for season 3.

jtb

Banned
No, contracts that involve profit participation are not going to have language allowing them to be voided by someone's workplace conduct. If there was any validity to what you're saying, it would be reflected in the litigation and the article. The only thing that comes close is Darabont saying that in addition to being robbed by bullshit profit shuffling, he was denied negotiations he was entitled to for season 3.

Doesn't the article explicitly state that his profit shares weren't fully vested for S2 because his employment was terminated prematurely? Which is what the profanity-laden emails were tied to?

Doesn't the article explicitly state that his profit shares weren't fully vested for S2 because his employment was terminated prematurely? Which is what the profanity-laden emails were tied to?

Yes, it does:

That Darabont can claim a hand in all of the second season's episodes is important because his contract entitles him to contingent compensation bumps upon reaching certain milestones. Whether or not he gets 15 percent of defined profits rather than just 11 percent depends on a contractual interpretation. One of AMC's biggest asks in its own summary judgment motion is to have the judge declare he wasn't vested at the higher level because he wasn't physically present at the end of that season. They argue he was required to provide on a "full-time and in-person basis … all services customarily rendered by persons employed in the television industry."

That's wrangling over whether he qualifies for a higher percentage. It's not voiding his contract. Even if he was a bad employee and a nightmare to work with, that doesn't measure up anywhere close to AMC using bullshit accounting to claim TWD was in the red so that they can skip paying creatives what they were contractually promised.

cacildo

The first episode of the show is great

The first season is good, but it promised great things

The rest is a disaster

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Jesus Christ, those emails are so over the top, it's hilarious even if it does paint him as an incredibly obsessed control freak.

That said, AMC really did do him dirty regardless of his assholery, especially with how much they keep playing stupid regarding the matter.

Top Bottom